Weber Carb fuel inlet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As a new FJ40 owner I took my truck to a mechanic to get the Weber 38/38 carb tuned that the PO had installed. He did a great job with the tune, but a couple months later I noticed I had trouble revving the engine and later determined it was a fuel leak at the fuel inlet on the carb. The mechanic had removed the original pressed in fuel inlet barb because he said it was cracked and he installed a hose union with some sealant. The sealant on the union failed and thus the fuel leak. My question is can I replace the pressed in fuel inlet barb or do I need to thread the carb to replace the inlet barb? I can not find a press in inlet barb to purchase so that may be a no go anyway.

he installed a hose union with some sealant.

Not sure what that is. Got a pic?

But anyhow, a while back, there was someone here talking about removing the pressed in barb fitting and tapping the carb. I always wanted to do it to my Weber so I could run a hard line to it. But I changed carbs before I did. Whoever it was, I remember them saying it was tricky tapping it and you had to be careful. It may have Weber Sarge, but not sure.

As a new FJ40 owner I took my truck to a mechanic to get the Weber 38/38 carb tuned that the PO had installed. He did a great job with the tune, but a couple months later I noticed I had trouble revving the engine and later determined it was a fuel leak at the fuel inlet on the carb. The mechanic had removed the original pressed in fuel inlet barb because he said it was cracked and he installed a hose union with some sealant. The sealant on the union failed and thus the fuel leak. My question is can I replace the pressed in fuel inlet barb or do I need to thread the carb to replace the inlet barb? I can not find a press in inlet barb to purchase so that may be a no go anyway.

I have included 2 pictures. The one is me pointing to the fuel inlet and the other is how the hose connects.

0289964B-3297-4867-9FD8-39868FBA9D12.jpeg

6A47CDF0-4DC2-4DB7-95FA-B47427F35256.jpeg

Hmmm. Is that really a 38/38? It doesn’t look like the 38/38s I’ve seen. I didn’t realize Weber made any carb that fit an FJ40 manifold without an adapter, but what do I know. I’m sitting back to learn on this one.

it is a 38/38 based on the manual I was given. It does have an adaptor plate on the intake. When I had the carb tuned the adaptor plate had to be machined flat to eliminate a whistle.

Ah! I was thinking that was a phenolic insulator (between the arrows) that the PCV hose was going into. Looking closer, is that the adapter? Or rather the typical Weber two adapter plates?

weber 01.jpg

Spellcheck strikes again ... it is carburetion.com

Anyone of these are good to go with

Or

Or

JohnnyC thanks for the help. What I discovered, after talking with carburetion.com and redline/weber, is that Weber does not make the press in style fuel inlet. I had to buy the screw in type and have a machine shop tap the inlet to accept the new threaded piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom