Lexus GXOR Concept (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was serious. I already have my GX built out about as far as I can take it without getting stupid (read: spinner rims and chrome), so all those fancy CBI parts are meaningless to me.
Now if Lexus actually came out with factory built GXOR with those components the same way Chevy built/optioned the Colorado ZR2 using AEV (Home - American Expedition Vehicles - AEV) accessories to puff out their ZR2, that would be a home run in my book!
And that, my friends, is when I'd think about selling my rig and purchasing a new GXOR.

I was serious. I already have my GX built out about as far as I can take it without getting stupid (read: spinner rims and chrome), so all those fancy CBI parts are meaningless to me.
Now if Lexus actually came out with factory built GXOR with those components the same way Chevy built/optioned the Colorado ZR2 using AEV (Home - American Expedition Vehicles - AEV) accessories to puff out their ZR2, that would be a home run in my book!
And that, my friends, is when I'd think about selling my rig and purchasing a new GXOR.

But why bother if you've already built and own the equivalent or near it?

Hummm... Good question. That's something my wife would ask...
My answer would be:
  • Probably for a different color exterior and interior. I bought what I bought because it was a really good deal and an acceptable color combination.
  • Some of the electronics not available on my rig like 360° camera and dynamic radar. I know I can add CW and MT, and that's on my list of to-do's still.
  • Less mileage (start off with zero miles on the clock!)
But you're right I do have very close to the equivalent and my wife and I really love my rig and enjoy it's functionality.

Another email from CBI, they are requesting a 2014, 2016/17, and 2020 GX460 at their shop in Idaho for final fitment testing. Anyone who offers their vehicle will receive the new Hybrid low profile bumper for free.

7x9p5qD.jpg

I was bummed they don't need a 2019 for testing. I had already offered my rig for that a couple months ago. That said, I think I'm going to purchase this bumper. Was leaning towards something more robust like the Arb, but I really like how this integrates with the overall look of the truck and this will probably be better for keeping weight down. Still need to decide on a rear bumper with dual swing out and carrier. Right now considering the Coastal Offroad dual swing out in aluminum to keep the weight down and no issues with rust. I figure this might match well with the CBI front bumper which should be relatively light.

Last edited:
I was bummed they don't need a 2019 for testing. I had already offered my rig for that a couple months ago. That said, I think I'm going to purchase this bumper. Was leaning towards something more robust like the Arb, but I really like how this integrates with the overall look of the truck and this will probably be better for keeping weight down. Still need to decide on a rear bumper. Right now considering the Coastal Offroad dual swing out in aluminum to keep the weight down and no issues with rust. I figure this might match well with the CBI front bumper which should be relatively light.

I was considering the Coastal rear as well but I am not sure I care for the way they built the swing outs.

I don't know how I missed this thread before now? Some interesting thoughts, model comparisons and assumptions, not all of which are incorrect :D

I was fortunate to work with Lexus and XOverland on the GXOR project build and we did some of the installs here @ Cruiser Outfitters. Many will quickly recognize the XOverland influence on the design. As such you'll recognize the same brands we work with regularly throughout. Icon, Eezi-Awn, CBI, General Tire, Goose Gear, etc... all top shelf equipment manufactures that we've leaned on through our travels around the Americas and beyond, it was a natural fit.

I was fortunate to be at the launch party for the concept @ FJ Summit last summer, I was actually there running a TRD Pro media program for Toyota and we combined an evening get together for the GXOR media launch. I knew it was going to be a hit but I honestly didn't expect it to take off like it did and I don't think Lexus did either. In the end it was displayed at far more shows/events including the Lexus International Dealers Meeting. I'm not saying much would have changed had it been known how popular it's become, just a point worth mentioning. I'm glad CBI is moving forward with their bumper/armor just as Icon has with their suspension pieces. More options, more fun!

I'm happy to answer any other questions in my wheelhouse, ask away!

I don't know how I missed this thread before now? Some interesting thoughts, model comparisons and assumptions, not all of which are incorrect :D

I was fortunate to work with Lexus and XOverland on the GXOR project build and we did some of the installs here @ Cruiser Outfitters. Many will quickly recognize the XOverland influence on the design. As such you'll recognize the same brands we work with regularly throughout. Icon, Eezi-Awn, CBI, General Tire, Goose Gear, etc... all top shelf equipment manufactures that we've leaned on through our travels around the Americas and beyond, it was a natural fit.

I was fortunate to be at the launch party for the concept @ FJ Summit last summer, I was actually there running a TRD Pro media program for Toyota and we combined an evening get together for the GXOR media launch. I knew it was going to be a hit but I honestly didn't expect it to take off like it did and I don't think Lexus did either. In the end it was displayed at far more shows/events including the Lexus International Dealers Meeting. I'm not saying much would have changed had it been known how popular it's become, just a point worth mentioning. I'm glad CBI is moving forward with their bumper/armor just as Icon has with their suspension pieces. More options, more fun!

I'm happy to answer any other questions in my wheelhouse, ask away!

We were riding dirt bikes on the Alpine Loop based out of Silverton the same time as FJ Summit last year. I passed the group that the original GXOR concept was traveling in while we were out there. I knew it'd be a hit if they actually brought it to market. I have since decided to go the full wrap route after multiple animal strikes in such a short period of time. I love the look of the GXOR Hybrid and I think it makes for a great sleeper setup, but it won't provide me any protection from an animal strike. I am however still interested in the sliders. I am happy to see that CBI is moving forward with all of this, there will likely be a long wait once the orders start pouring in.

Sorry guys, I tried to convince the wife her 2016 needed to go but she declined the offer.

Which one are you going with out of curiosity? The other one I am considering is the dobinsons.

TBD! I haven't seen one that I care for enough to buy and commit to and adapting a 5th Gen rear sounds like a lot of work and the end result is still very unfinished according to those who have done it. The bottom line is that I have to get one eventually as I don't care to carry around the spare in the cargo area 24/7 and I'll need the factory space for the LRA aux fuel tank .

If I were forced to choose one today it would be the Coastal Off-Road kit but I wouldn't be completely satisfied. I like the idea of the JW rear door mount but I don't like that you have to drill into the door. One would think that with the recent boost in popularity of these trucks that one of the bigger companies would have already jumped on building a rear bumper with dual swing outs. Either way, my fingers are crossed that someone is lol.

doesnt metaltech build rear bumpers for GX?

doesnt metaltech build rear bumpers for GX?

Yes and personally I find them offensive. The rear doesn't match the lines of the GX, it's bulbous and they use very thin metal. Hard pass, YMMV.

For those interested in the bumper check your emails!

Yea I got the email, still thinking about it. Really think I want a full wrap and it’s as pricey as one too which is what we all kind of expected.

For those interested in the bumper check your emails!
Just saw it - gotta say I was hoping it would be a few hundred bucks less expensive, considering that’s what the full ARB-style bumpers sell for. I’ll wait to see shipping details and installation instructions before I decide anything.

Just saw it - gotta say I was hoping it would be a few hundred bucks less expensive, considering that’s what the full ARB-style bumpers sell for. I’ll wait to see shipping details and installation instructions before I decide anything.

$244 was my shipping quote, June/July ship dates depending on your place in the order queue.

I’m not a fan of the slider design and I was offended by the front skid plate price.

This. it feels like they’re charging a premium and trying to make back their r&d costs in a Hurry. No thanks.
Looks like about a 10% “GX tax“ on the skids, and more on the bumper. Under if it’s because GX, or because of the perceived fame of the concept truck.

[QUOTE="Tex68w, post: 12885511, member: 118027"
I’m not a fan of the slider design and I was offended by the front skid plate price.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom