Wanting to get an ARB front bumper – have many Q’s – would love some answers from people who have one on their rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also, one thing that no one has mentioned yet is the ARB is compatible with air bags.....which is significant. Paint it to match your rig if you are so inclined.

Are they? That’s very cool, actually. My 80 is a ‘94... So no airbags on mine.

Don't think there is modification (of sorts) needed. Some folk have had to *massage* theirs into place - spreading or closing the frame rail mount points.
Yeah, depending on your truck's history, the frame ends may have been through some rough spells. These get straightened out, but until you try to hang a winch between them, it's hard to say if they're exactly straight and parallel with each other. A punch can be used through the various bolt holes to shift things into position. Sometimes a bit more is needed, but if you have a BFH, maybe a brass drift, and a good eye, the solution can be achieved quickly. It's not a big deal , just be careful of those fingers. Any one may not be your favorite, but I'm sure it's in the Top 10...

Pic of where you're at with the bumper removed.
hP1rOK.jpg

The frame horns are still on here. IIRC, these come off and the ARB bolts the the squared end of the frame rails.

Now, most of us have a heavy winch in the mix, so you either need beefy help or a solution. However, if you;'re physically challenged in some way (My back is crunchy) then I used a rig I put together from various 2x scrap. It set on the jack, so worked but not OSHA approved, be careful, but it works well no matter how much you bumper weighs.

KcVQxb.jpg

For those lights, lots of options. At it's simplest, this is a very basic mod. You should have the skills to do it in the field as an emergency repair. Do one then test it to build confience. Just splicing two wires on the pigtails is all IIRC, the thing is to properly splice them with the right materials. The leftovers can go in you emergency repair kit (vinyl tape, splice connectors, waterproof connectors, spare wire, etc.

Sorry guys I was a little unclear...I was referring to the Phillips Daylight 4 LED lights installed in @HRTROB bumper.

Yup, the stock turn signals are still visible behind the ARB. I used the turn signal location in the ARB for DRL (Philips Daylight 4). Very easy to install, just connect two wires to the battery plus a third to the headlight (I used an extension harness so I wouldn’t have to splice into the factory wiring). Turns on and off automatically

View attachment 2208206
Somebody used to make an insert for the ARB bumpers that held the Phillips DRL's perfectly. You just dremeled them a bit to get them to fit nicely? Curious.

Nope I didn’t have to modify the bumper at all to fit them. They are the shorter 4 LED version so they fit the opening without any cutting. I just stuck them on with double-sided tape. It’s been three years now and it’s help up well. Only problem is up close you can see that the fit isn’t perfect. I’ll try to find someone who can fabricate a nice set of bezels for them.

31CECD22-4D87-4FEB-B062-1946E0784CA8.jpeg

Yeah, the ARB isn't a whole lot more weight then the stock bumper, but is far more protection. Had a little incident where I happened to clip one of the yellow crash barrels that protect overpass pillars along interstates at 70 mph. Scuffed the powder-coat and knocked the ARB just a little askew. Once I loosened and adjusted the bolts after straightening how it set on the frame ends, all was good.

An ARB won't protect against every human stupidity or natural obstacle, but it vastly increases the chance that your truck will run to get you back home safely.

Yes, the OEM bumper will go back on, but you'll likely not want to do that unless you're trading for another 80 and want to save the cost of another ARB by transferring it to your next truck.

Did the ARB droop or lower your front end’s height at all once installed? Is your rig on stock springs/suspension?

The stock bumper is roughly 35lbs – and the non-winch bumper from ARB is 150lbs (they just told me over the phone). So that is a significant difference... I have the stock bumper plus a grill guard which I would guesstimate is about 40lbs. So on my rig the front end has 75lbs on it. It will be double that with the ARB. The guy at the shop that will be installing the ARB for me said that the front end will droop and that we’ll need to add coil spacers to the front end.

I’m wondering if anyone else has had to add coil spacers or new springs to lift their front ends after an ARB install?

Last edited:
Did the ARB droop or lower your front end’s height at all once installed? Is your rig on stock springs/suspension?

The stock bumper is roughly 35lbs – and the non-winch bumper from ARB is 150lbs (they just told me over the phone). So that is a significant difference... I have the stock bumper plus a grill guard which I would guesstimate is about 40lbs. So on my rig the front end has 75lbs on it. It will be double that with the ARB. The guy at the shop that will be installing the ARB for me said that the front end will droop and that we’ll need to add coil spacers to the front end.

I’m wondering if anyone else has had to add coil spacers or new springs to lift their front ends after an ARB install?
There’s no way to compensate for that weight without new heavier duty springs. We did new shocks, springs and UCA’s. (UCA's on our 200) If you’re not lifting the vehicle, just add new springs. I cannot speak to spacers.

Last edited:
No UCAs on an 80 so don’t get confused here.
The weight will droop the suspension a tad. More so with a winch in place. It will still be driveable without issue just have a bit more stink bug stance to it. I’d buy a set of spring spacers for a temporary measure until you decide on on a direction for the build. Mr gasket sells a set of 25mm poly ones that are cheap and effective.

No UCAs on an 80 so don’t get confused here.
The weight will droop the suspension a tad. More so with a winch in place. It will still be driveable without issue just have a bit more stink bug stance to it. I’d buy a set of spring spacers for a temporary measure until you decide on on a direction for the build. Mr gasket sells a set of 25mm poly ones that are cheap and effective.

Do you think adding coil spacers to the front will bump-up the height back to how it was w/ the stock bumper? Is this a good remedy to fix the issue of front end drooping due to the weight of the ARB?

This is as far as a want to “build” my rig, I think. I don’t do any off-roading or wheeling with my rig. It’s my daily driver. I just want an ARB for looks and protection. I may do a new aftermarket rear bumper sometime down the road. But overall I like the look of stock. I absolutely do not want any lift. I like the stock height and want to keep it that way.

I’m running 285/75R/16 AT tires. Will adding this ARB droop the car enough so that the tires touch/rub against the top of the wheel well?

Last edited:
Do you think adding coil spacers to the front will bump-up the height back to how it was w/ the stock bumper? Is this a good remedy to fix the issue of front end drooping due to the weight of the ARB?

This is as far as a want to “build” my rig, I think. I don’t do any off-roading or wheeling with my rig. It’s my daily driver. I just want an ARB for looks and protection. I may do a new aftermarket rear bumper sometime down the road. But overall I like the look of stock. I absolutely do not want any lift. I like the stock height and want to keep it that way.

I’m running 285/75R/16 AT tires. Will adding this ARB droop the car enough so that the tires touch/rub against the top of the wheel well?
In the context of maintaining stock height - with the added weight of a non-winch ARB bumper - on OEM springs on a pavement-only DD 80 -

- the consensus (of one) is do the bumper and do a 30mm spacer on the OEM springs and drive it 200 miles and re-assess. Many will predict a stiffer (nay harsher) front-end (axle) behavior, but that should be about it. Others the opposite. But given your intended use, it is a reasonable and affordable first step.

No worries on that tire (size) rub with the spacer for sure.

Reactions: mrq
In the context of maintaining stock height - with the added weight of a non-winch ARB bumper - on OEM springs on a pavement-only DD 80 -

- the consensus (of one) is do the bumper and do a 30mm spacer on the OEM springs and drive it 200 miles and re-assess. Many will predict a stiffer (nay harsher) front-end (axle) behavior, but that should be about it. Others the opposite. But given your intended use, it is a reasonable and affordable first step.

No worries on that tire (size) rub with the spacer for sure.

Thanks so much for your reply and the info! Do these ARB front bumpers change the way that the car drives to any significant degree? Do they make the car a little more sluggish going up hills – do they affect the MPG very much?

Cheers!

Do these ARB front bumpers change the way that the car drives to any significant degree?
Not the one you want, so long as the shocks are in good shape. Especially with the spacer.

Do they make the car a little more sluggish going up hills – do they affect the MPG very much?
Consider their weight as no different than the difference in weight between an empty and full gas tank. Except that you're now carrying around the weight of a full gas tank all the time. As such, maybe 5% affect on mpg?

Not the one you want, so long as the shocks are in good shape. Especially with the spacer.

Consider their weight as no different than the difference in weight between an empty and full gas tank. Except that you're now carrying around the weight of a full gas tank all the time. As such, maybe 5% affect on mpg?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all my different questions! I am a college age kid with a limited budget... So before I buy the bumper and have the shop install it and add coil spacers/alter my rig – I want to make sure that I am informed about it all and that I am aware of what it will be like to have the bumper on my rig. I'm going to call the shop tomorrow and pull the trigger and have them order the bumper and the spacers. I will keep you all updated and will post a picture once the bumper is installed on my rig.

Some good points address here should be highlighted:
Buy a winch ready ARB
Add recovery points: Trail Tailor makes a nice version that will fit
Different versions of the ARB exist such as Commercial vs standard. Do your research into what works best for you

Some good points address here should be highlighted:
Buy a winch ready ARB
Add recovery points: Trail Tailor makes a nice version that will fit
Different versions of the ARB exist such as Commercial vs standard. Do your research into what works best for you

This is very good advice. You may not want to go off road now, but if you do in the future the ability to add a winch without buying another bumper is a money and a time saver.

Recovery points are a must whether you are on road or not. If you get stuck or want to help out someone stuck in a snowbank, recovery points are a must have.

The three options he has for bumpers are:
1990-97 WINCH BAR: 80 SERIES RECESSED INDICATORS, TOW POINTS, BLACK Part # 3411050
1990-97 BULL BAR: 80 SERIES RECESSED INDICATORS, TOW POINTS, BLACK Part # 3211050
1996-97 WINCH BAR: LX450 RECESSED INDICATORS, TOW POINTS, BLACK Part # 3411050

There are no commercial/standard options. These are it.

Is somebody know if ARB front bumper is compatible with OEM mechanical winch ?

I suspect not. The ARB was originally sized for the Warn 10k winch. Most planetary drive winches fit, but the space is sopmewaht restricted. My memory of seeing the OEM (Aisin?) winch is that it's form factor is not a good match, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

This has got to be the most complicated way to get a bumper... almost as bad as our own journey ;) : we mulled over a bumper for the LX for quite a while, got the MetalTech on a special, mounted it, didn't like the looks, put the stock one back on and sold the MT bumper, now waiting for the Slee Shortbus bumper to (somewhat magically....) materialize again while the winch designated for the LX is holding down the garage floor, and the DIY NWTI kit as plan D...

- the consensus (of one) is do the bumper and do a 30mm spacer on the OEM springs and drive it 200 miles and re-assess.
SNIP

I put our ARB on at the same time as a 12k winch and a AUX battery, so way more weight than the ARB itself. This did sharply affect the ride, but adding some OME Nitro Sport shocks up front got things under control again.

With just the ARB, you should be OK with the stock OEM shocks. As for the spacers, they do help level things front to back, but they don't affect the ride like changing coils or shocks would. You're safe to run without them and I would see how the truck looks before bothering with them. An alternative is to simply put some weight in back -- trail gear, tools, etc - which could easily offset whaterer "stinkbug" you might find from adding the ARB.

I suspect not. The ARB was originally sized for the Warn 10k winch. Most planetary drive winches fit, but the space is sopmewaht restricted. My memory of seeing the OEM (Aisin?) winch is that it's form factor is not a good match, but would be happy to be proven wrong.
Is there any bullbar compatible with a mechanical winch ? Because as long as your engine works (and you have spare pins), mechanical winch won't let you down :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom