G Wagon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday I drove a G Wagon for the first time ever. My wife has always wanted one & I like their look also. I have a 19 LC for perspective.

From my brief ride, I was really intrigued by the MB. I guess intrigued is the word. I would never want one for myself because I drive too much on the interstate and the LC is clearly more comfortable. I also don't want to drive something so flashy. But I really, really enjoyed the ride. It was just a fun truck. I smiled the whole time and it made me feel like a kid. Kind of drove like Wrangler, but had a much nicer interior.

I just wanted to post and see if others have similar feelings. But as of now, the MB is going to be the wife's next vehicle.

Just gonna put this here....

Keep in mind this is not the new model which is hands down better...accept for the ugly halo led headlight. Just looks odd to me. I still hate the rear swing out door.

My coworker has a G amg63 and I have an LX. For reference, my other coworker has the range rover autobiography. I would rank the MB G Wagon a distant 3rd place. I literally hate everything about it. It is so dysfunctional it's crazy. The interior is not comfortable or luxurious. Frankly, I am guessing a Rav 4 is more comfortable. It's tall but doesn't have much storage space. It is very fast but the handling is similar to a horse-drawn carriage. Why would anyone buy a car that powerful that cant turn? It literally has a warning sticker that says not to turn at high speeds. For comparison, the Range Rover Sport and the Porsche suvs are unbelievably fast and handle fantastic. It also had some electrical issues that kept it in the shop for over 3 weeks. Its really a terrible, terrible vehicle.

The Range Rover is incredibly nice, way more comfortable than the LX570. But the model I drive/ride in from time to time is way more expensive too. The problem with the Range Rover is that it is a 2019 and its already been in the shop several times. I really like the Rover but I actually use my LX to pull my trailer, offroad and Im constantly abusing it. Frankly, the LX is too nice for my uses. So at the end of the day, I prefer my LX to the Rover and I literally have taken s***s I like better than the G wagon.

DenverLX you must have some pretty satisfying movements!!!

I know it's a polarizing vehicle, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Reminded me of some of the trucks I drove while working at a sawmill when young. Sat you up high and felt like you could drive through anything but in a luxurious environment. It wasn't anywhere near as comfortable as the LC, but it just felt like it drive over or through anything.

It'd be the perfect truck for a redneck with money. I guarantee you could have fun out in the woods in this thing.

My coworker has a G amg63 and I have an LX. For reference, my other coworker has the range rover autobiography. I would rank the MB G Wagon a distant 3rd place. I literally hate everything about it. It is so dysfunctional it's crazy. The interior is not comfortable or luxurious. Frankly, I am guessing a Rav 4 is more comfortable. It's tall but doesn't have much storage space. It is very fast but the handling is similar to a horse-drawn carriage. Why would anyone buy a car that powerful that cant turn? It literally has a warning sticker that says not to turn at high speeds. For comparison, the Range Rover Sport and the Porsche suvs are unbelievably fast and handle fantastic. It also had some electrical issues that kept it in the shop for over 3 weeks. Its really a terrible, terrible vehicle.

The Range Rover is incredibly nice, way more comfortable than the LX570. But the model I drive/ride in from time to time is way more expensive too. The problem with the Range Rover is that it is a 2019 and its already been in the shop several times. I really like the Rover but I actually use my LX to pull my trailer, offroad and Im constantly abusing it. Frankly, the LX is too nice for my uses. So at the end of the day, I prefer my LX to the Rover and I literally have taken s***s I like better than the G wagon.
I owned a 2013 Range Rover Supercharged (purchased CPO). In 6 months in needed new brakes and a new air suspension. Luckily, all covered under the CPO warranty. I got rid of it right after that.

Owned a G500 for about 6 months....you won't miss many gas stations + only premium gas......8-12 MPG

Gs are fun. But I think I'd leave it at that. Cousin has one and I got to drive it. Real fun hearing the amg roar and pick up speed so quickly. But even he admitted for a daily it's not as enjoyable as when he first bought it.

had one many moons ago...the major hardware good, the lesser hardware breaks constantly. Every 30k Miles, something always goes wrong. My wife literally hate it near the end of the relationship.

And visiting some of the MB forums, i see the new ones are equally troublesome.

BTW, not sure about the newer engines, but the old 5.0 V8 was very thirsty!! Literally, you see the fuel needle go down in real time as you drive in city. My LC looks like a Prius next to it!

I love Gwagens, always have. All the old G280s and G300s, G500s and G550s, but I dont like the AMG versions. Those are stupid. Only thing out there with the manual mechanical locking triple diffs beside the FZJ80. German engineering, solid axles, big V8, hard not to love all that. Not as reliable as an LC obviously, but super cool and Id love to have one one day, but probably won't because Ill always have too many Cruisers.

Owned a G500 for about 6 months....you won't miss many gas stations + only premium gas......8-12 MPG

To be fair, the LX is not much better. Both are pigs on gas. Premium gas required (or at least per Lexus). This year I have to commute to a new office 40 miles away and I'm getting 14mpg on a daily 80 mile commute (mostly freeway with fair amounts of braking due to horrendous traffic). I'm getting to know the local gas attendant pretty well.

When my office was in the city, I was getting 11mpg.

I drove a 2004 g500 for 9 years before my ‘13 LX 570. I probably would still be driving it if I didn’t need the LX to pull my 6800 lb camper. I Got it when they first became available in the US in 2004 before the Hollywood/Pro athlete crowd. A heavy upscale wrangler is a good way to explain it. I always say it was the nicest worst driving vehicle I’ve ever owned. It was a beast off road, I rolled it once and only broke the side view. Off roading my LX is pretty equal to the G just goes about it very differently. The LX is smooth and stable and I have to be more careful with line selection, the G was lock, point, and run over. Never had an issue with the G over 100k miles, it was pretty much bomb proof like the LX has been. But Overall the LX is nicer in almost every way. All that said there are many differences between my 2004 and the new G but there is no way I would buy one if I didn’t use it close to its capacity off road and probably wouldn’t buy one today anyway since even the redesign is such a dinosaur. I’ve also never understood why the SoCal crowd drives them. With that I’ll add I have a reservation on a Rivian SUV and a Cybertruck, waiting to see when they hit the market which one I get.

Last edited:
Awesome truck no doubt - I do not like the new front end though. Looks worse than before. Too soft or something.

I drove one before I bought my LX and I was surprised at how much I disliked it. Everybody always goes on about them, but I just don't get the love.

If I was going to buy a status vehicle that would consistently leave me stranded out in the middle of nowhere, the Range Rover is a much nicer vehicle IMO.

Of course either one is fine for sitting in while you wait for AAA. For getting there and back I'll stick with my naturally aspirated Yota.

I like the traditional look of the G class, but I doubt I would like driving it. I've seen some videos of the G-class offroad and I have to say that rear articulation is horrible. There is a reason that the G class has three lockers -- it needs them, because it is always lifting a tire off the ground.

I agree - my MIL has a Range Rover SVR and my FIL has a G65 - Rover is night and day nicer to drive and more inconspicuous.

I had a 2013 G, I liked it but did not love it because of the fuel range, no aux tank option, and not many aftermarket options like a LC. Now, if we could get the G Professional diesel here in the US and if I could afford it, I would love one.

I thought this was 200-series tech section, not g-wagon and occasional RR comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom