Wits End Turbo Owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
I think it might be time for a new thread to be created. "Wits End Turbo Owners" thread

One thing to mention is I would also like to get with other Turbo owners and compare turbo differences and setups. I'm interested in learning everyones real world turbo mpg and any new tips or things to look out for with the turbo. What I really want to know if how much a difference is it from a factory transmission to a transmission with Transgo installed. I kind of wish I did a baseline with new engine + turbo first and then did the Transgo shift kit to see how much it changed. I'll settle for either riding passenger or driving someone's non Transgo Turbo rig (in exchange of course so we can both can drive each others rig too see if it made any difference). It would also be cool to see how much faster a Turbo 80 on a diet is than my fat pig 80.

So post them up here:

1. Real world MPG stats with your Turbo. List your tire size, gear ratio, any other mods to help/hurt MPG and how heavy she is!
2. Tips, tricks or anything cool you learned about your 80 Turbo?
3. Transgo Shift kit? Did you install one? Did you notice a change with before and after?
4. Turbo Owner Meetup?

Summary:
Link to original bolt on turbo thread where it all began

MPG Section:
Heckraiser 14.9mpg on 265s
Ronny Grady 11mpg to 14.7mpg 35s 4.88s armored
Joey's Test Mule 3 - 13.88 adjusted mileage for his 35s on 4.10s

Tools Section:
10AN Wrench for bottom return oil hose. Note: Joey is making a special one for the Turbo. But this will do for now.

Tip Section:
Don't use any teflon tape, sealer or anything on the AN line. Don't ask me how I know. *SMH*

Keep an eye out for the AN oil feed line on top of the turbo. Bad crimp. It would leak right away if it's defective. Joey sent another one ASAP.

Dual Batteries - Briano is using a NAPA Washer Bottle Part #665-1594

Dual batteries - @Spyduh is using a Amazon universal Washer bottle

Intercooler / Meth Injection Section:
Dirty Koala Intercooler
Safari Meth System
Joey Meth Injection
Joey Meth System - Test Mule 3

Stand Alone ECU Section:
scottryana ECU setup
scottryana standalone ecu

Exhaust Section:
bwakeling exhaust routing and body mount

Oil Catch Can Section:
CJK Oil Catch Can Mod
CJK Radium Catch Can Mod
Wompom Catch Can
Outlawmike catch can info

CEL:
Wompom CEL P0172
po301-306 cel

Wastegate Springs:
alia176 waste gate springs

Engine Gauges and Monitoring:
Wompom thread for engine gauges

Last edited:
I am a kit owner, it's sitting in a pile of boxes on my office floor :eek:

I will say from my previous turbo setup, which was running the same boost and a very similar turbo (same size and manufacturer), I got within spitting distance of 15mpg (14.87) on trips over the continental divide on I-70. That was with 265 tires and basically matched/slightly beat my very best pre-turbo mpg (14.7). Of course, running premium gas, you're still losing money at the pump :eek:

I didn't run a shift kit previously and I'm not really planning on it this time around, or at least not until later.

I am a kit owner, it's sitting in a pile of boxes on my office floor :eek:

I will say from my previous turbo setup, which was running the same boost and a very similar turbo (same size and manufacturer), I got within spitting distance of 15mpg (14.87) on trips over the continental divide on I-70. That was with 265 tires and basically matched/slightly beat my very best pre-turbo mpg (14.7). Of course, running premium gas, you're still losing money at the pump :eek:

I didn't run a shift kit previously and I'm not really planning on it this time around, or at least not until later.
Shift kit was pretty cheap on Summit Racing ($100). Was actually really easy DIY. In my build thread I highlighted the Transgo install. When I have time I will do a proper write up thread for the shift kit since the other ones were lacking for me at least. I had to look at 3 threads to figure it out.

I’m surprised nobody with a turbo replied. How many kits were sold?

I have a kit waiting to be installed. Still breaking in the fully rebuilt engine prior to installing the go fast parts. I’ll be doing the shift kit, already have that too. I also hear we have a new AWD dyno in the area so I’m thinking about doing some pre/post runs.

1. Usually 11 mpg- I gun it a lot. Best 14.5 mpg on trip from Tahoe to SF. 4.88 gears & 35’s. Armor, no drawers, no roof racks nor tents
2. Tips on thread: Builds - Ronny's Wits End Turbo lnstall
3. Transgo Shift kit - I have one, not installed yet
4. Turbo Owner Meetup - I’m down if it’s at a wheeling area! Rubicon? Slickrock? Deer Valley? Coyote Lake? Hollister?

1. Usually 11 mpg- I gun it a lot. Best 14.5 mpg on trip from Tahoe to SF. 4.88 gears & 35’s. Armor, no drawers, no roof racks nor tents
2. Tips on thread: Builds - Ronny's Wits End Turbo lnstall
3. Transgo Shift kit - I have one, not installed yet
4. Turbo Owner Meetup - I’m down if it’s at a wheeling area! Rubicon? Slickrock? Deer Valley? Coyote Lake? Hollister?
Sounds like I'm getting 11mpg then. I have a heavy foot. Lol

On the trip to SF, Medford, Etna, I would get 300 miles to a tank. Majority freeway speed.
300miles/25gal= 12mpg non adjusted
You got 315s on 4.10s.

So 315/275=14.5% offset

300 miles x 14.5% =43.6
Actual miles 347 / 25 gallon ish = 13.88 actual mpg.

Question now is how heavy where you on the peddle? Average speed?

My new motor has been all over the place with MPG. 10-16+. Mechanic suspects a possible fuel trim issue probably at the MAF sensor. I'm yet to have time to hook up the scan tool and drive/monitor. Needless to say I need to make sure I'm not lean before I put on the turbo. I have a spare MAF I can swap in from my parts engine. Plus an old 1st gen LandTank MAF conversion. But that is a different argument :deadhorse:

I'm not in a hurry to install my turbo. Far more important I shore up any loose ends first. Plus I don't have an indoor work space and my driveway is snow/ice packed for at least 8 more weeks. @NLXTACY get the meth kit done :) My truck needs an additional addiction beyond petroleum.

300miles/25gal= 12mpg non adjusted
You got 315s on 4.10s.

So 315/275=14.5% offset

300 miles x 14.5% =43.6
Actual miles 347 / 25 gallon ish = 13.88 actual mpg.

Question now is how heavy where you on the peddle? Average speed?

The weather during last thanksgiving week kept us at average speed but definitely not 55 😉

My new motor has been all over the place with MPG. 10-16+. Mechanic suspects a possible fuel trim issue probably at the MAF sensor. I'm yet to have time to hook up the scan tool and drive/monitor. Needless to say I need to make sure I'm not lean before I put on the turbo. I have a spare MAF I can swap in from my parts engine. Plus an old 1st gen LandTank MAF conversion. But that is a different argument :deadhorse:

I'm not in a hurry to install my turbo. Far more important I shore up any loose ends first. Plus I don't have an indoor work space and my driveway is snow/ice packed for at least 8 more weeks. @NLXTACY get the meth kit done :) My truck needs an additional addiction beyond petroleum.
Hmm fuel issues. Have you ever changed your fuel pump or filter yet?

In prep for my turbo I upgraded to the Denso Supra fuel pump, added a new fuel filter and Fuel Pressure regulator.

Ive been monitoring AFR, coolant and oil temp, oil pressure and boost. All are normal when flooring that sucker.

11 to 12 AFR on heavy throttle. 14.7 AFR at idle.
oil pressure at 18idle, 40 medium throttle and 80s full.

One tip I just learned from @Ronny Grady. Buy this wrench to help tighten the 10AN (1") oil return line hose on the bottom of the turbo. You'll wish you had this before you start working on it. Tip is to tighten the hose before install the turbo. I had a leak after install and the only way to reach it is with a slim and short wrench. This AN wrench will do the trick. Otherwise you'll need to remove the turbo housing off the j-pipe like I did. I think I still have a slight leak at the return hose that I need to tighten down. My new wrench is coming from amazon and it will live in the Cruiser for trail repairs.

ICT Billet Aluminum 10AN Wrench 10 an Hose Fitting 1" Wrench 551459

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom