Life after an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well.... First off I can't believe I would ever post a thread such as this. Seriously someone should pull my man card and nut slap me.

However I have received a couple offers on my 80 as it sits.

Im weighing the option of selling the 80 and buying a more generic weekend expedition vehicle that may be more responsible financially.

So in addition to your 80 what other models have given you a good experience?

I've had multiple 85-89 4x4 Pickups / 4Runner's, and a 15' Platinum Tundra. They were great but I would want something different.

So far my short list might me a 100 series, FJ70, or Newer 4Runner.

I would want something that I can run with minimal maintenance, and that I could throw basic mods on.

My rig use would be the daily dog mobile and weekend camping/trail use.

I would have around 60K into mine after I finished it off with the full send Slee package and Joey turbo special. So I would want something reliable and lightly modded for 30-40K or under if I make the switch.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Keep your 80 and just don't go through the extra expense of "full slee package" or turbo. As fun as those things are, if you are wanting to be financially responsible, just keep it stock or stockish and fix it as things break while doing preventative maintenance. Any older car/vehicle is going to require money to bring it up to snuff and there is not much out there that will match the reliability and functionality of an 80. Will a 100 series do the job...probably but you already have an 80. Will a new 4 runner work...sure, but it will cost more than your 80. 30-40k invested in your 80 over time will go a long way. A lot farther than it will in a 4runner I would think. You are asking in the 80 section though so take my opoinion and anyone elses with a grain of salt :)

Keep your 80 and just don't go through the extra expense of "full slee package" or turbo. As fun as those things are, if you are wanting to be financially responsible, just keep it stock or stockish and fix it as things break while doing preventative maintenance. Any older car/vehicle is going to require money to bring it up to snuff and there is not much out there that will match the reliability and functionality of an 80. Will a 100 series do the job...probably but you already have an 80. Will a new 4 runner work...sure, but it will cost more than your 80. 30-40k invested in your 80 over time will go a long way. A lot farther than it will in a 4runner I would think. You are asking in the 80 section though so take my opoinion and anyone elses with a grain of salt :)

Joey turbo could wait until X-Mas.. Sorry Joey. However the DBA brakes just arrived and the King Shocks/Stabilizer are on the way.

So... thats means the Slee 4" is next at a minimum. So far I have about 23K into this thing through Method wheels/Km3's, King's, The endless Wit's End catalog, Ceramic paint restoration+Coating+Tint, and the all important "OEM Only" parts baseline. Is another 25K for Slee and Joey going to break me ... No.

However selling it could buy me a less rare and hard to find Toyota. Meaning more money for other toys aka "investments".

What you put into it means nothing.

- edit

let me expand so I don’t sound like an a******.

baselining you truck is expected. It’s called maintenance. It doesn’t add value to your resale, it just reduces your resale if you don’t.

Kings are nice shocks I have a set of Kings on one truck and a set of Slee(ADS) on the other. I would expect maybe a $500 increase in resale.

Method wheels and KM3’s. Not everyone might share your wheel choice. A lot of people only want the stock wheels. And tires are a consumable. Maybe $1000 for both.

If you’re truly looking to free up money for toys and investments sell the 80 as is, and get out of the hobby of modifying cars. Take it from someone who has literally lost enough to buy a small house in the south on modified cars. Lol

Last edited:
Don't breach the 3" suspension threshold. It will save lots of money.
It sounds like you are a all in kind of guy purchasing the high end stuff. If you can find a happy medium place in the build process it would be easier on the wallet. Keep the black beauty... it's the last solid axle Toyota made in the USA.

I’m surprised my name is invoked in this 😳

Just do what you need to do. Turbos make the drive nice but absolutely not necessary.

Regret sucks and hard to deal with. I try to weight it into my decisions.

No regrets. The products you offer are top notch and the 80 community is better for everything you have brought to market.

Hell, the aftermarket support you and Christo offer were the deciding factor in buying my 80.

Just don't want to sell the 80 and buy something new only to realize I shouldn't have sold it months later.

Sell the 80 as-is.

Buy a Jeep! :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

You deserve that for considering selling it......

Sell the 80 as-is.

Buy a Jeep! :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

You deserve that for considering selling it......

No thanks.... I get to see enough "Jeep of the year" magazine articles and derelict jeep builds from the 80's-90's at the girlfriends parents house.

I was going to get "JPSRGAY" as a joke for my custom plate. However apparently thats not funny in CA.

:doh::flipoff2:

I'd have to ask if you're willing to put $60k into a >$10k rig, will it make a difference if you have an 80, 100 series, 4 Runner or what ever?

I bought a bone stock 93 for $5k about 2 years ago. Would have put about 4k in to catching up with PM.
I expect to put about the same in over the next 2 years in more PM, suspension replacement and maybe 2" lift, and some modest upgrades including e-locker retro-fit, winch, maybe some bar work.

I look forward to driving it every day!

You're talking about simplifying but are buying Kings? Why are you buying Kings? That's not simplifying. I dont think a 70 series is going to be any cheaper and parts are more difficult to acquire. 4runners have weaker axles, 100 series is more luxury but also has a weaker front drivetrain and electronic brakes which is more complicated. I guess that leaves a tundra or 200 series. All of which will be less capable than a 80 with a 4" lift offroad except for the 70 series.

I own a 5th gen 4Runner Ltd, it is ......numb... compared to driving vs my 80.
You need to pull in on the reins with your mods and enjoy the 80 as is and slowly mod. It’s not as painful financially when you do it that way imop.

I'd have to ask if you're willing to put $60k into a >$10k rig, will it make a difference if you have an 80, 100 series, 4 Runner or what ever?

I bought a bone stock 93 for $5k about 2 years ago. Would have put about 4k in to catching up with PM.
I expect to put about the same in over the next 2 years in more PM, suspension replacement and maybe 2" lift, and some modest upgrades including e-locker retro-fit, winch, maybe some bar work.

I look forward to driving it every day!

Same as me but I bought it last March for $3,000. I have put about $2500 into it so far this winter, another $1000 to go and the baseline will be hopefully finished. I picked up OME springs, used for a month, on the cheap.
I consider it therapy and very rewarding and look forward to driving this summer. The wife or kids will drive the 4Runner, I don’t care, not interested!

Agree with everything posted above. If you’re only going to use it for camping and weekend wheeling, why go with the blinged out suspension? It’s just not necessary. A triple locked 80 with a stock height and 33s will be more than capable for your stated use. Or are you going to take it to KOH? There’s usually a sizable gap between what we intend to use these machines for, and what we actually use them for.

Last edited:
Well.... First off I can't believe I would ever post a thread such as this. Seriously someone should pull my man card and nut slap me.

However I have received a couple offers on my 80 as it sits.

Im weighing the option of selling the 80 and buying a more generic weekend expedition vehicle that may be more responsible financially.

So in addition to your 80 what other models have given you a good experience?

I've had multiple 85-89 4x4 Pickups / 4Runner's, and a 15' Platinum Tundra. They were great but I would want something different.

So far my short list might me a 100 series, FJ70, or Newer 4Runner.

I would want something that I can run with minimal maintenance, and that I could throw basic mods on.

My rig use would be the daily dog mobile and weekend camping/trail use.

I would have around 60K into mine after I finished it off with the full send Slee package and Joey turbo special. So I would want something reliable and lightly modded for 30-40K or under if I make the switch.

Thoughts?
Hate to think about selling the 80 and probably won’t, but am seriously considering upgrades to the gx460 that is my DD. V8 (w/ timing chain) power, great size for the trail (seems 80 size, rather than 200 size), now 10 years into the production run (plenty used w/ only soccer mom usage), and the GXOR community continues to grow. Mine seems very capable off road, even in pretty much stock configuration.

I have a newer Tacoma TRD Off Road as my daily and I honestly love it. It's extremely quick and nimble compared to the 80. Super practical having the bed to haul stuff like mulch, etc in the spring time. I have a bed extender for stuff like lumber. It's nice to be able to load up the bed with gear or luggage and still have plenty of room up front. It has modern amenities that the 80 doesn't have like adaptive cruise control, crash avoidance, good stereo with bluetooth and back up cam.

It's got rear lockers, and crawl control for sticky stuff. It's not a Rubicon capable crawler but it gets me wherever I need to go in mud or snow or forrest roads. I'd say it's just as good as any other IFS truck. I love it.

I've seen some very nice looking Tacoma based expo rigs that look comparable to a 79 series which is my wet dream truck.

Ironically I follow a built (bumpers, sliders, tires and regear) Tacoma TRD truck on Instagram and recently they posted their best MPG ever as 13.9mpg. Really not any better than an 80. I was a little surprised.

I have a newer Tacoma TRD Off Road as my daily and I honestly love it. It's extremely quick and nimble compared to the 80. Super practical having the bed to haul stuff like mulch, etc in the spring time. I have a bed extender for stuff like lumber. It's nice to be able to load up the bed with gear or luggage and still have plenty of room up front. It has modern amenities that the 80 doesn't have like adaptive cruise control, crash avoidance, good stereo with bluetooth and back up cam.

It's got rear lockers, and crawl control for sticky stuff. It's not a Rubicon capable crawler but it gets me wherever I need to go in mud or snow or forrest roads. I'd say it's just as good as any other IFS truck. I love it.

I've seen some very nice looking Tacoma based expo rigs that look comparable to a 79 series which is my wet dream truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom