Does a Snorkel Drop the Resale Value of an FJ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I am new to the Land Cruiser world as I recently purchased a 1982 FJ40. It is in good shape and looks pretty classic. I am considering getting a snorkel for the benefit of getting the clean air rammed into the engine, and I like the looks of a snorkel. I am not sure if I will ever be up to my spleen in water driving the truck. My question is the following: will installing a snorkel decrease the resale value of it, and if so, how significantly? Since a hole needs to be cut into the body, I suspect that is very hard to reverse. Since the vehicle is in very good shape, I suspect it is worth at least a few bucks and I don't want to make some idiotic rookie mistake. I don't intend to sell it anytime soon, but one never knows what the future will bring.

Just for background (and because I am excited about my recent find), it is an FJ40 from Indonesia, so the steering wheel is on the right. It has been converted to diesel with a 13BT engine and a 5 speed transmission. It has a soft top (I believe it has a factory original Toyota soft top, but I am still trying to confirm) and a factory PTO winch (pretty cool, hadn't seen one of those before). It is in really good condition and runs very well. The previous owner is a passionate collector (he owns 10 classic Land Cruisers and is always restoring one. I was lucky to get him to sell this to me) and restored it and took excellent care of it. I am currently in Indonesia and will be returning to Virginia this summer and bringing this bad boy back with me. I am probably going to get a hard top for it also since parts and labor are really inexpensive here (there are a bunch of these running around here and there are some real expert mechanics that do nothing but work on and restore FJs/BJs).

Welcome your comments on the balance between adding a snorkel and keeping the value. Thanks.

1581400630782.png

The only truly valid reason for a snorkel is for water crossings. Guys talk about "cool air" and "less dust". Any actual difference in either of these is minimal to the point of irrelevance. Especially for a street driven rig on the east coast of the US. If you want one and do not plan of getting into deepish waters (again, on the east coast that would be a rare occurrence) go ahead and own the fact that you like the look. ;)

The cutting to install it is in the apron. An easily replaceable and easy to source piece. On an import rig that has already seen conversion and modification, there will be no impact on value.

Mark...

With global warming & receding coastlines a snorkel may come in handy since you're on the east coast. You'll also need Jerry cans, a roof tent and assorted weapons. Ed

Welcome your comments on the balance between adding a snorkel and keeping the value. Thanks.

Snorkel would make it less valuable to me; by how much it's hard to say, but I would always prefer an original un-cut truck if possible.

But it's your truck, so do whatever you like with it.

I'm not a fan of the snorkel either. But. If I were going to add one and was worried about the value drop, when you get the snorkel, because you like it, buy a spare apron. Maybe even paint it to match. And keep the original air filter housing setup. That way, IF and when you sell, it, they can't complain one but or offer less because of it. It wouldn't cost much more to be prepared.

Thought about adding one to my 79 but it has a carburetor cooling fan that would interfere where the hole in the apron would be. Cruiser needs to be painted and would just paint a second apron at the same time then cut a hole in one if it weren't for the cooling fan. Believe OP has a SA cruiser without emissions and probably no cooling fan in the way. The snorkel I was looking at used windshield hinge screws so u doing it would be easy.

Since you are there, how about sourcing a second apron piece which is fairly
inexpensive and painting it up with a hole cut in it. Then install the snorkel.
I’m an advocate of, if you like something then do it.
I’ve got a 13BT sitting on a shelf for my FJ40. I can’t seem to get to it.
Beautiful truck!

Since you are there, how about sourcing a second apron piece which is fairly
inexpensive and painting it up with a hole cut in it. Then install the snorkel.
I’m an advocate of, if you like something then do it.
I’ve got a 13BT sitting on a shelf for my FJ40. I can’t seem to get to it.
Beautiful truck!

Not sure where the OP is just believe the cruiser is from SA. Never thought I would see a day when people are asking higher prices for used parts than pricing at SOR. See used left aprons priced $125-$175 depending on year. See a unknown year listed here on Mud for $200. I use to use SOR prices and figure a certain percentage what would pay for a part at a wrecking yard. This was at a time when SOR still had paper catalogs. How times have changed.

Last edited:
if it was a US spec 1982, absolutely wouldn't want to cut a hole...being that its an import, the impact would be less.
Any hole cut in original body would impact value, just how much is debatable.

The only truly valid reason for a snorkel is for water crossings. Guys talk about "cool air" and "less dust". Any actual difference in either of these is minimal to the point of irrelevance.

This.

Since it’s a highly modified import, a snorkel isn’t hurting that value any. 13Bt’s are great.
My 88 BJ74 came new with a factory snorkel, which according to Toyota is a raised intake for dust...so it actually makes mine MORE valuable with a factory snorkel it came with new.
Easy to fix like people have said with another apron piece.

Every cat to their own sandbox...Do as you will

Thanks for all of the comments so far. It appears it may be debatable if the clean, cool air has any affect, so it is unclear how much a snorkel would be useful for me in Virginia and for when I move back home to Utah in a couple of years. I'll have to see how easy it is to pick up a spare skirt and weigh that.

Thanks for all of the comments so far. It appears it may be debatable if the clean, cool air has any affect, so it is unclear how much a snorkel would be useful for me in Virginia and for when I move back home to Utah in a couple of years. I'll have to see how easy it is to pick up a spare skirt and weigh that.

I mean apron, not "skirt."

if it was a US spec 1982, absolutely wouldn't want to cut a hole...being that its an import, the impact would be less.
Any hole cut in original body would impact value, just how much is debatable.

Adding a snorkel requires cutting a hole in the apron. Probably one of the easiest parts to find and also one of the cheapest. Find a replacement painted the same and use that one. Pull the snorkel and replace the apron if you sell it. Tub, windshield frame, side doors and rear doors would thing about cutting holes since those are the hardest and most expensive to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom