LS Swap in 91' Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
Figured this could be a good place to ask some advice about doing an LS swap into my 91 FJ75. It has a non running carb 3F in it with an H55 trans.

Has anyone here done one?
Any advice or engine preference, what adapters did you use?

I do a lot of traveling and am looking to make this truck reliable for that, so I am less worried about making big power.

Just starting to dig into this so I was hoping to hear from some people that may have already done one.

Thanks everyone

You want reliable get the LQ4 or LQ9 6L.

All are reliable though, especially if you start with a fresh engine and take care of it. I bought a 2500HD new in 2001, it had the 6L 4L80 combo. Nearly 275,000 we put on it, other than the standard items like starter it gave me zero issues. Put Amsoil in it for first 150k and changed it every 5,000.

Cheers

On the fence of swapping in an LS in my FJ75 Troopy as well. Either that or a Cummins R2.8. Hard to decide. Either way its gonna cost a lot and it has to be worth the cost. My 3F is running great so I have some time to think about it.

Either way, I will be following your build if you decide to swap in an LS.

_mes

These are a couple that come to mind:
@sadam_husain
Not sure if he is around much any more but I remember him having done this.
Also try:

May be a good starting reference but I’m sure some one has done this more recently

Hey all,
Figured this could be a good place to ask some advice about doing an LS swap into my 91 FJ75. It has a non running carb 3F in it with an H55 trans.

Has anyone here done one?
Any advice or engine preference, what adapters did you use?

I do a lot of traveling and am looking to make this truck reliable for that, so I am less worried about making big power.

Just starting to dig into this so I was hoping to hear from some people that may have already done one.

Thanks everyone

I follow you on Instagram and caught wind of your woes. What happened to the 3F? Curious if I should be watching out for anything or if you have advice on keeping it running, lessons learned, etc.

I follow you on Instagram and caught wind of your woes. What happened to the 3F? Curious if I should be watching out for anything or if you have advice on keeping it running, lessons learned, etc.
The person we bought from either didn't know the condition of the engine or more likely just didn't disclose a lot to us. The engine has most obviously had issues before and they were dealt with by doing some typical bandaid type fixes just to keep it running. The head gasket had been leaking before by the looks of it but was never fixed properly so it completely blew on us. Since the engine/truck are in such bad condition and we want to travel in it just fixing the head gasket won't make us feel confident enough with the engine so we are going for an entire replacment just so we know what we have going on.
Lessons learned for us is to not commit to buying a truck based on the sellers word and not doing a full inpsection yourself, hahahaha

On the fence of swapping in an LS in my FJ75 Troopy as well. Either that or a Cummins R2.8. Hard to decide. Either way its gonna cost a lot and it has to be worth the cost. My 3F is running great so I have some time to think about it.

Either way, I will be following your build if you decide to swap in an LS.

_mes

What I tend to tell people is if you really enjoy the platform and plan to keep it a long time spend the money and do it right.

If it is just a Cruiser in a long line of Cruisers you have owned and will own, go the more economical route. Junkyard 5.3’s and 4L60’s are pretty cheap these days and plentiful.

I also tell people if you are going to put in a v8 forget all about an older carbed or tbi engines. In this day and age there is no point. Modern v8’s are far superior and don’t cost more.

Cheers

What I tend to tell people is if you really enjoy the platform and plan to keep it a long time spend the money and do it right.

If it is just a Cruiser in a long line of Cruisers you have owned and will own, go the more economical route. Junkyard 5.3’s and 4L60’s are pretty cheap these days and plentiful.

I also tell people if you are going to put in a v8 forget all about an older carbed or tbi engines. In this day and age there is no point. Modern v8’s are far superior and don’t cost more.

Cheers
Thanks for the input, really appreciate it.
We plan to keep this truck and travel with it for a long time, so for sure not building it with resale in mind, building it with the idea ill have it forever.

I am accumulating parts for my LS swap into a 73 series with h55 tranny....

1581457862934.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom