CDL mystery - slow to engage - actuator is ok. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are many, many posts that seem to talk of CDL issues. The very detailed pnwadventures post was and awesome run through the system, but doesnt address my issue. I've tried each test with no avail. Hoping there might be some be helpful thoughts out there.

Main sympton: CDL is temperamental - the dash light comes on very slowly, if at all. Here is a video to it from last night:.

Pin 7 mod was reverted to stock condition.
Actuator was bench tested and passed.
Fuses are all good
L4 and 4wd indicator switches on Tcase are new
Tcase relay is good

And even though the CDL light does come on, I dont think its engaged. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cheers,
Jamie.

And even though the CDL light does come on, I dont think its engaged. Is that possible?

No, not possible. The indicator light for the CDL is a confirmation light and has no electrical connection to the CDL actuator/circuit. It is strictly a mechanical confirmation that the locking collar is in place.

What makes you think it is not locked? Unlike the front and rear lockers which you can feel the effects of locking very distinctly, the center locking is mostly unnoticeable under most driving conditions.

There is another sensor switch on the front of the transfer case that controls the light. Same as the indicator switches you have already replaced.

Last edited:
No, not possible. The indicator light for the CDL is a confirmation light and has no electrical connection to the CDL actuator/circuit. It is strictly a mechanical confirmation that the locking collar is in place.

This is really really great to know!! Thank you!.
I thought it might not be locking because the rear locker was not locking despite driving in snow on lots of bends. Maybe that (the rear) is now a different issue. Sigh.

Before the front or rear can lock the CDL indicator needs to be illuminated. If that light if off the front and rear lights will just flash.

Before the front or rear can lock the CDL indicator needs to be illuminated. If that light if off the front and rear lights will just flash.

Yes, absolutely. When the CDL is ON and steady, the rears still werent locking yesterday. It was odd.

Both front and rear lockers also have indicator switches as well, 5 total between the transfer case and axles. The rear axle can take the longest to lock and most likely will either will not lock without wheelspin or driving in figure eights. Front and rear need to be locked under 5 MPH.

Figured I would close-out this topic.
The electrical grounds in the footwell were all crusty and gross. A little clean and everythign works fine.

One should always remember Occams razor - start with the simplest explanation first. Ok, well thats not really Occams razor, but it good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom