Diesel Cruiser whisperer in LA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone!

I'm having one hell of a time chasing what I think is an air leak in the fuel system of my BJ74. I've tried just about everything, consulted with several in the Land Cruiser community (special thanks to Steve Jackson for providing the assist), replaced fuel lines and a couple of components, bled the system and ran a couple of road tests tests that have returned inconsistent results. If you are a Land Cruiser Diesel guru, I can come to you if you would be willing to just help me run through this thing and see if there is something I'm missing. I am located Pasadena, beer on hand.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Why dont you post a full run down of the symptoms and tests you have done etc instead of sending us off to facebook to learn nothing?

I chased a hard starting diesel for ages, had symptoms of bad glow plugs, bad pump,bad ecu ,bad everything-etc, used a Facet lift pump for a while and made starting easier, even used a primer off a nissan patrol after the OEM one failed and the brand new replacement,
after all this ended up being hairline cracks in most of the rubber fuel lines , didn't leak diesel but did allow the fuel to siphon back to the tank over night, really fustrating, replaced the fuel lines and as an added failsafe I stuck one of those cheap ebay check valves in just before the filter,has not affected diesel flow or anything

after all this ended up being hairline cracks in most of the rubber fuel lines , didn't leak diesel but did allow the fuel to siphon back to the tank over night,

This is the classic way air gets in. And 25 year old + rubber is going to do that. It doesnt leak fuel because inside is a vacuum, as you have found out.
I had the same thing but only the injection pump return hose had splits in it. Every morning the fuel pump would be empty and it took longer and longer to start.

Why dont you post a full run down of the symptoms and tests you have done etc instead of sending us off to facebook to learn nothing?

What I was asking for is someone here locally in the Los Angeles area that might want to jump in with me and see if they have any ideas, maybe even have a beer, not for an online diagnosis.

I’ve been in ‘Mud for years and I love it, but lately it seems like every time I ask a question in the 70 series section I get some crusty response. It’s kind of a bummer. The only reason I currently have Facebook anymore is for the 4x4 community stuff on there, ironically everyone is a lot friendlier which is weird because Facebook is the keystone for the decline of western liberal democracy.

So for the record I’ve isolated the fuel tank, it’s not that. Fuel lines were due and I replaced them. I isolated everything all the way up to the lift pump. After cracking the injector lines to make sure any air hiding up there was bled (the air returned) I believe it’s coming in between the first banjo fitting of the lift pump and the last banjo fitting at the injection pump. I cleaned everything to watch for any seepage after the injection pump and there’s nothing. I have the factory compression washers on order from Toyota to do every banjo fitting on the lift pump, fuel filter and injection pump.

I guess at this point if anyone wants to jump on and give their $.02 they’re welcome.

I chased a hard starting diesel for ages, had symptoms of bad glow plugs, bad pump,bad ecu ,bad everything-etc, used a Facet lift pump for a while and made starting easier, even used a primer off a nissan patrol after the OEM one failed and the brand new replacement,
after all this ended up being hairline cracks in most of the rubber fuel lines , didn't leak diesel but did allow the fuel to siphon back to the tank over night, really fustrating, replaced the fuel lines and as an added failsafe I stuck one of those cheap ebay check valves in just before the filter,has not affected diesel flow or anything

This came on very quickly. I had noticed a stumble occasionally and thought maybe it was my imagination until one day it nearly died on the freeway. I assumed it was a clogged fuel filter, I didn’t have to go to the office for a couple of days just to take my daughter to school, so I bought the parts and planned on flushing everything out the next weekend. Two days later it started hard starting and has been a major headache ever since.

This guy (was referred to me) did the inspection on my PZJ70 before I purchased it out of California. Seemed pretty good. Not sure if it is a shop or stand alone business.

Jim Dickey
310-329-9007

This guy (was referred to me) did the inspection on my PZJ70 before I purchased it out of California. Seemed pretty good. Not sure if it is a shop or stand alone business.

Jim Dickey
310-329-9007

I have been to this shop once, perhaps when your pzj was there. There was a very clean white one on his lot that he showed me. He said it was getting a presale inspection, this was maybe like 3 years ago.

Look familiar?

IMG_2729.JPG

Anyway, to the poster, I've heard some horror stories about this shop and my experience there was on par. Don't want to get into the gory details but I would not go back. Your best bet is probably to continue working on it yourself and learning the vehicle inside and out. I'm in LA as well, while certainly not a guru, always down to link up with another 70 series owner and grow the small network we have here.

Last edited:
lol...yeah that is the one I got. Small world. It now belongs to @70hitchhiker42

Shame about the shop but they didn't do any repairs on it or anything like that. It was just inspection only thankfully.

What I was asking for is someone here locally in the Los Angeles area that might want to jump in with me and see if they have any ideas, maybe even have a beer, not for an online diagnosis.

I’ve been in ‘Mud for years and I love it, but lately it seems like every time I ask a question in the 70 series section I get some crusty response. It’s kind of a bummer. The only reason I currently have Facebook anymore is for the 4x4 community stuff on there, ironically everyone is a lot friendlier which is weird because Facebook is the keystone for the decline of western liberal democracy.

I guess at this point if anyone wants to jump on and give their $.02 they’re welcome.
Im all about the crusty replies!
I aint on facebook
I try to do everything myself because most mechanics are hopeless especially "the do it for a box of beers "
If you dont like online diagnostics why post here in the first place?
my 0.02 cents( thats about all I got left these days after feeding my kids and fixing my Landcruiser)

I WASN’T LOOKING FOR A DIAGNOSIS. I WAS LOOKING TO CONNECT WITH SOMEONE WHO IS KNOWLEDGEABLE WHO LIVES HERE WHO COULD HELP ME LOCALLY. I DON’T HAVE ANY WRENCHING BUDDIES WHO KNOW MORE ABOUT THESE TRUCKS THAN I DO.

Im all about the crusty replies!
I aint on facebook
I try to do everything myself because most mechanics are hopeless especially "the do it for a box of beers "
If you dont like online diagnostics why post here in the first place?
my 0.02 cents( thats about all I got left these days after feeding my kids and fixing my Landcruiser)
Hey Everyone!

I'm having one hell of a time chasing what I think is an air leak in the fuel system of my BJ74. I've tried just about everything, consulted with several in the Land Cruiser community (special thanks to Steve Jackson for providing the assist), replaced fuel lines and a couple of components, bled the system and ran a couple of road tests tests that have returned inconsistent results. If you are a Land Cruiser Diesel guru, I can come to you if you would be willing to just help me run through this thing and see if there is something I'm missing. I am located Pasadena, beer on hand.

Thanks!

Last edited:
N
lol...yeah that is the one I got. Small world. It now belongs to @70hitchhiker42

Shame about the shop but they didn't do any repairs on it or anything like that. It was just inspection only thankfully.
[/

Love that truck thanks for your great upkeep on the PZJ. Crazy how someone has a picture of it from three years ago when saw it parked! Thanks FJ73Texas for the pleasure of driving it!!

I WASN’T LOOKING FOR A DIAGNOSIS. I WAS LOOKING TO CONNECT WITH SOMEONE WHO IS KNOWLEDGEABLE WHO LIVES HERE WHO COULD HELP ME LOCALLY. I DON’T HAVE ANY WRENCHING BUDDIES WHO KNOW MORE ABOUT THESE TRUCKS THAN I DO.

Stop yelling.

You asked and no one was able to directly assist you.

That means you are going to have to do leg work and find a shop that you will pay to work on your truck.

There is a link that even tells you what shops might be near you.

Last edited:
Not being all too familiar with 13BTs, but have you already tried the clear hose trick between filter and IP?
Usually a good first step in locating air leaks as it could be at the filter / hand primer and associated hoses.

The Diesel Section is a great resource as well. Search results will most likely be HDT related, but generally the same issues.

I usually find leaks after I've worked on something.... i.e. not replacing the crush washer after timing the pump.... not replacing injector lines after injector / pump rebuild.... not replacing every old rubber hose when taken apart, including return (Belmetric fuel hose is great).... Good luck!

Yeah I’ve got crush washers on the way for all of the banjos on the system. We’ll see if that does the trick. This has been a frustrating project hopefully this takes care of it.

Thats what MUD is, online diagnosis. You dont get to pick and choose the respondents or the answers. You are also making the mistake of looking for leaking fuel. Airleaks are caused by vacuum as the fuel retreats to the tank, you rarely see fuel coming from a fuel line because there is no fuel at the joint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom