Builds Steve's HDJ81 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is what I believe is Steve's ARB P#s for the bumper configuration he has:

Bumper itself:
Rear Bumper- 5611210
LHS tire carrier- 5711231
RHS tire carrier- 5711232

Hilift mount/ license plate holder:
HILIFT Mount for Wheel Carrier- 5700060
An optional barri nut and socket is available to secure the jack to the carrier. Part number, 6151334 (not clear if Steve has this, but I think its a security option)
If you get some extra time, could you take some pics of the back side of the rear arb bumper? Curious how it's mounted to the frame. Are the bumper wings very robust? Do they look like you could jack the truck up by them?

If you get some extra time, could you take some pics of the back side of the rear arb bumper? Curious how it's mounted to the frame. Are the bumper wings very robust? Do they look like you could jack the truck up by them?

I can tell you that the rear ARB bumper wings are very robust. I have landed my rig on them many times. I have bent them slightly but they held the truck up fine, after sliding off a rock onto them.

Are they braced to the frame? What thickness do you think the metal is?

The metal is thick... maybe 3/16"? The end of my wings have a provision to brace over to the frame but I don't think they are. I can say that they are boxed in that the metal of the wing folds inward and is welded with a plate. I'll try to take a picture, and get it to you if Steve doesn't jump in.

The metal is thick... maybe 3/16"? The end of my wings have a provision to brace over to the frame but I don't think they are. I can say that they are boxed in that the metal of the wing folds inward and is welded with a plate. I'll try to take a picture, and get it to you if Steve doesn't jump in.
Thanks!

The wings on the ARB bumper are indeed pretty stout. I'm measuring 1/8" thickness. I've dinged them a few times on some hard hits and replaced one side that got badly damaged but it didn't even tweak the frame support bracket. The wings are supported by a bracket to the frame that is 3/16" steel. Doesn't look too beefy in this photo because of the cutout for the exhaust but it is. That's a new factory Toyota exhaust btw.

wing-1.jpg

wing-2.jpg

The wings on the ARB bumper are indeed pretty stout. I'm measuring 1/8" thickness. I've dinged them a few times on some hard hits and replaced one side that got badly damaged but it didn't even tweak the frame support bracket. The wings are supported by a bracket to the frame that is 3/16" steel. Doesn't look too beefy in this photo because of the cutout for the exhaust but it is. That's a new factory Toyota exhaust btw.

View attachment 2201379

View attachment 2201380
Thanks, thats great information. Their is very little info on the bones of these bumpers online. Only installed pics from 20 feet away.

Thanks, thats great information. Their is very little info on the bones of these bumpers online. Only installed pics from 20 feet away.

No problem! Hit up Cruiser Outfitters (801-563-1277) @cruiseroutfit and they can give you more technical info.

I really need to update this build thread haha. I've made a few modifications and improvements since I last posted including a new heat exchanger, low-voltage cut-off for the third battery and a 3:1 tcase gear set from @cruiseroutfit (highly recommend it btw). Here are a few pics.

I got rid of the roof-top-tent and the ARB rack. I really liked the tent, but I found myself just as happy using a ground tent or just sleeping on a tarp under the stars. I kept it like this for a bit because I loved the clean look of being rack-less.

a1.jpg

Parked next to a US cousin at the airport.

a5.jpg

But I have six kids and a roof-rack is a necessity for camping. So I installed a Bowfin rack and have absolutely loved it.

a3.jpg

Pin-striping is no problem when you put down extra layers of high quality clear-coat. A little polishing and she looks brand new again.

a4.jpg

Doing a little routine maintenance.

a6.jpg

And don't let anyone tell you that an HDJ81 can't flat-tow a stricken URJ200 haha. Thanks to Devin for the great pic.

22770504_10212741815374568_1216777277614537948_o.jpg

Do you happen to know what sliders work with the stock HDJ80 system? will it work with any sliders built to run on 93/94 cats?

Steve we need some rebuild pictures.

Yes I need to make an update on my truck and how things are going. It's too emotionally painful to relive it and I'm biting my nails waiting to see how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom