For Sale 1980 BJ40, 96,000 miles, location Liberia Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good opportunity for the right person. No known problems, everything works as it should. I would have no problem, after a fluid and filter change and a brake adjustment, heading north to Canada(NO HEATER) or south to Patagonia. Heading south, this is a perfect expedition vehicle. With it's Costa Rican plates, it reads as local rather than gringo. First owner was a judge who purchased it new. Drove it on the weekends. I have original paper work. Second owner was a surfer named Lance who owned it for 11 days and never even put it in his name. I purchased it in July of 2005 with 93,000 kilometers and it now has 155,554 kilometers(96,000 miles).
"Lance-alot" was a garage queen when I got her. I have used it over the past 15 years to get materials at the the building supply yard and groceries and trips to the beach. Mostly pavement roads and less than .01% in four wheel. Every item is there including the original jack and maybe even the tools. I'll look. I have a bag of extra parts. I have my maintenance log book, parts and service receipts, all tax payment records and official reports of the required yearly government mechanical and clean air exams (RTV). Always passed except once when my license plate was too faded and needed to be replaced. I have the original owners manual, in Spanish. All of those items and current condition of the car is my only proof of odometer reading.

There is a dent in the hood; the result of inadequate application of the parking brake and Lance rolled into a tree. The hood works without problem so no body work performed. It is the B motor, 3.0 with a four speed transmission. Please note that this is a diesel. This car shows no visible smoke, has no leaks and does not use any oil between changes. The transmission works like new. Most all front end parts and wheel bearings repalced, same for brake cylinders and all frame bushings. Bilsteins for the shocks and Hella headlamps. I treated this BJ like I wanted it to last at least another 40 years.

This model has the rear opening windows and all glass and seals are in good shape. There is very minor rust. Beside each of the front seats on the floor, there is a rust hole about one inch in diameter. This is an easy fix with a bit of fiberglass and resin. The paint is original, color code 06, mustard yellow. The headliner is still tight but needs a cleaning.

I am in Coco, here is CR untill mid February. If you are seriously interesting write me by email at davidmenely48@gmail.com or you can try a call at country code 506 followed by 8770-8188.
The reason I am selling is that I am selling up my stake in Costa Rica and I do not need this car in the US. If you want to see a few pictures go to my Flickr account davidm48 and locate the album Toyota. It used to be filled but in the past year I had to move many of these photos out .

22970634656_0dcc0063ee_k.jpg

Good opportunity for the right person. No known problems, everything works as it should. I would have no problem, after a fluid and filter change and a brake adjustment, heading north to Canada(NO HEATER) or south to Patagonia. Heading south, this is a perfect expedition vehicle. With it's Costa Rican plates, it reads as local rather than gringo. First owner was a judge who purchased it new. Drove it on the weekends. I have original paper work. Second owner was a surfer named Lance who owned it for 11 days and never even put it in his name. I purchased it in July of 2005 with 93,000 kilometers and it now has 155,554 kilometers(96,000 miles).
"Lance-alot" was a garage queen when I got her. I have used it over the past 15 years to get materials at the the building supply yard and groceries and trips to the beach. Mostly pavement roads and less than .01% in four wheel. Every item is there including the original jack and maybe even the tools. I'll look. I have a bag of extra parts. I have my maintenance log book, parts and service receipts, all tax payment records and official reports of the required yearly government mechanical and clean air exams (RTV). Always passed except once when my license plate was too faded and needed to be replaced. I have the original owners manual, in Spanish. All of those items and current condition of the car is my only proof of odometer reading.

There is a dent in the hood; the result of inadequate application of the parking brake and Lance rolled into a tree. The hood works without problem so no body work performed. It is the B motor, 3.0 with a four speed transmission. Please note that this is a diesel. This car shows no visible smoke, has no leaks and does not use any oil between changes. The transmission works like new. Most all front end parts and wheel bearings repalced, same for brake cylinders and all frame bushings. Bilsteins for the shocks and Hella headlamps. I treated this BJ like I wanted it to last at least another 40 years.

This model has the rear opening windows and all glass and seals are in good shape. There is very minor rust. Beside each of the front seats on the floor, there is a rust hole about one inch in diameter. This is an easy fix with a bit of fiberglass and resin. The paint is original, color code 06, mustard yellow. The headliner is still tight but needs a cleaning.

I am in Coco, here is CR untill mid February. If you are seriously interesting write me by email at davidmenely48@gmail.com or you can try a call at country code 506 followed by 8770-8188.
The reason I am selling is that I am selling up my stake in Costa Rica and I do not need this car in the US. If you want to see a few pictures go to my Flickr account davidm48 and locate the album Toyota. It used to be filled but in the past year I had to move many of these photos out .

View attachment 2192183
Right-hand or left-hand drive?

Interested in learning more. Can you PM me please?
Justin,

I will send you photos if you like. This BJ40 has original paint. Yes, mustard yellow. All mechanicles are in excellent shape. All front end parts were replaced in January 2019 as were all frame bushings and brake cylinders. December 2016 the seals and front bearings were replaced. New brake shoes in November 2017. In December 2016 the odometer read 145,940 kilometers; now it is 155,000 kilometers. This truck gets used very little. The alternator and the water pump have also been replaced and the battery is strong. Tires are hiway tires with good tread. As I said in my ad, truthfully, I could drive this to the US tomorrow and not have a single worry. There is nothing wrong with this vehicle except that it is not US spec. Frankly, I do not know what that means except that it does not have a heater or defroster. I believe that those are available after market. I think that the BJ40 is seldom seen in the US because it has the deisel B motor. With the low milege this one has, you will probably have no problems with it in this lifetime. I have had the injectors cleaned and this motor always starts on the first turn. Yes the starter motor has been rebuilt.

The rear seats are original with original seat covers. They fold up when not in use. Those have no tears nor cracks. The front seats were recovered in 2011 with a German fabric that looks very close to original. The front floor is covered in the original factory fitted rubber and the piece for the back is original but is now in three pieces.

There is rust. We live a mile from the ocean so the air has salt. One week of partime work and the right products and you can have these problems easily under control, in my opinion. I will send you photos of the problems that are visible from above. If you are very interested then I will take it to my local shop and put it on the lift for more from the underside. I will need to send any photos to your phone because I do not have the ability to take them from my phone to my computer as I need a hard connection for that. I did not bring my camera on this trip. You will need to send me a phone number.

Should you choose to purchase here in Costa Rica, we will go to my attorney for the necessary help. If you choose to ship it back to the states I can help you find a shipper here as I had considered sending it back previously. We have a port on the Carribian side Puerto Limon and one on the Pacific side Puerto Caldera, I think. I you have a Spanish speaking friend you could drive it back. I have made this trip twice from Oregon. It is not easy but it is doable. There are those that do it without speaking any Spanish, but that is pretty nutty. The price is firm now at $10,000us because it is easy to sell for anything less here in CR.

If you do not choose mine, I wish you the best in your search. We have a couple of friends that gave ours the nick name Colonel Mustard. I like it but it already had a name. "Lance-alot" We bought it fro a man named Lance and you can probably guess why we added the 'alot'

CHEERS

Hi Mr. Menely, did you receive my emails? Please let me know, I´m really interested. Thanks!

I could go tomorrow to see the car in person. Thanks.
Sergio,

Thanks very much for your interest. Tomorrow I am going to RTV in Liberia. MY appointment is at 7am. I went today but I was one day early. I expect to pass with no problems. So, I could meet you in the central park at aroound 8am and you could have a good look. I doubt that you would be dissappointed. I must say to you that my reasons for posting this advertisement in the forumns in the US is that this car has much more value there than here in CR. I lowered the price very quickly by $2000 to $10,000 us and for the moment that price is firm. I do have some interest and I will give it some time. I do think it worth your time to come have a look and a drive tomorrow. I do need the car until the 15th of February and even then I am not too hungry for this sale because I still need to sell my house here in Coco and that could take awhile. My phone number is 8742-2206. The one I posted in the ad needs to be changed.

Sergio,

Thanks very much for your interest. Tomorrow I am going to RTV in Liberia. MY appointment is at 7am. I went today but I was one day early. I expect to pass with no problems. So, I could meet you in the central park at aroound 8am and you could have a good look. I doubt that you would be dissappointed. I must say to you that my reasons for posting this advertisement in the forumns in the US is that this car has much more value there than here in CR. I lowered the price very quickly by $2000 to $10,000 us and for the moment that price is firm. I do have some interest and I will give it some time. I do think it worth your time to come have a look and a drive tomorrow. I do need the car until the 15th of February and even then I am not too hungry for this sale because I still need to sell my house here in Coco and that could take awhile. My phone number is 8742-2206. The one I posted in the ad needs to be changed.
Hi Sir, thanks for the answer, I have to take my mom to a medical appointment at 9am, so I think I could go to Liberia after that and be there in the afternoon if that´s ok with you because I think it takes around 3 and a half to 4 hours to drive from here to Liberia depending on the traffic. Please let me know, I´m very interested. Thanks! Sergio.

Please call me David or Don David as I am 71 years old. You can meet me tomorrow or Sunday. On Sunday I will swim early in the morning. I won't be in Liberia after nine am on Saturday., you will need to come to my house in Coco. I have a cabin with an extra bed if you decide not to return Saturday night and need a place to sleep..

Please call me David or Don David as I am 71 years old. You can meet me tomorrow or Sunday. On Sunday I will swim early in the morning. I won't be in Liberia after nine am on Saturday., you will need to come to my house in Coco. I have a cabin with an extra bed if you decide not to return Saturday night and need a place to sleep..
Ok Don David, thanks for the answer. I will visit you tomorrow at your house in Coco since I´m very interested and also I have to work on sunday. Please send me your address to my phone, you can use Waze to do that, I´ll send you my phone number to your email address. See you tomorrow. Sergio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom