For Sale Advice Needed: Thoughts on 1997 FJZ80 I found (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Guys,

Looking to purchase my first 80 Series. Found a used one, but hoping to get some advice before pulling trigger.

The specs are as follows:

1997 FJZ80
~220k miles
Gray (was recently just painted)
No lockers
Doesn't appear that it has had any major modifications
Front seats are worn

According to the owner, recent work done includes brakes, shocks, spark plugs, oil change, etc. He has only owned it for about a year, but has too many vehicles so is selling.

Just pulled the carfax. Only "issues" on there include:
  1. In 2005, the vehicle involved in side sweep collision. Estimated damage at less than $1,000
  2. In 2013, an accident reported with very minor damage. The vehicle involved in front end collision. Minor front end damage reported. Airbags did not deploy.
Decent records on carfax up through 2011, but not a lot on there after that.

In speaking with owner, known issue is that sunroof is slow to open.

Waiting to get pictures of the undercarriage, but according to the owner there is no rust, but needs to be confirmed.

Seller is asking $8,500.

My questions for this forum include:
a) would you shy away from purchasing just because full maintenance records aren't available,
b) what are the major things that I should look for before purchasing and/or if I take it into a local mechanic to check out, what are the major areas that should be checked,
c) what is a reasonable price for this vehicle given the lack of maintenance records and condition?

2020-01-29 12.26.44.jpg

2020-01-29 12.27.21.jpg

2020-01-29 12.27.32.png

2020-01-29 12.27.49.jpg

2020-01-29 12.29.24.jpg

Last edited:
A. Not necessarily. You can easily see how new the brakes are, new shocks, check the dipstick oil to see if he’s full of it off the bat. Get a car fax and see what Maintenance is listed on it. Mine had a surprising amount of detail anytime it was serviced at a dealer.
B. 80-series FAQ for General Info, Modification and Repairs
Slee - 80 Series Land Cruiser Newbie Guide

Have a prepurchase inspection and check compression and other normal things they typically check for. Also look for any indication of accidents.
I see discolored carpet by the drivers seat and a grey seatbelt in a brown interior. I’d wonder why. Open the rear hatch and look down into the jack storage area and look and see if anything looks off.
C. If the inspection goes well and it doesn’t have rust or need major repairs I think you’re in a decent ballpark on price.

Last edited:
A. Not necessarily. You can easily see how new the brakes are, new shocks, check the dipstick oil to see if he’s full of it off the bat. Get a car fax and see what Maintenance is listed on it. Mine had a surprising amount of detail anytime it was serviced at a dealer.
B. 80-series FAQ for General Info, Modification and Repairs
Slee - 80 Series Land Cruiser Newbie Guide

Have a prepurchase inspection and check compression and other normal things they typically check for. Also look for any indication of accidents.
I see discolored carpet by the drivers seat and a grey seatbelt in a brown interior. I’d wonder why. Open the rear hatch and look down into the jack storage area and look and see if anything looks off.
C. If the inspection goes well and it doesn’t have rust or need major repairs I think you’re in a decent ballpark on price.

Is car fax the way to go or I have also heard that Auto Check is good? Recommendations on which is better?

I hadn't even noticed the gray seatbelt. I am guessing that grey seatbelts wouldn't ever be put in with brown interior? What does that likely mean?

Is car fax the way to go or I have also heard that Auto Check is good? Recommendations on which is better?

I hadn't even noticed the gray seatbelt. I am guessing that grey seatbelts wouldn't ever be put in with brown interior? What does that likely mean?

I’m not familiar with auto check.

On the seatbelt -most likely the original brown one wouldn’t retract so he replaced it with a gray one that might have retracted better so probably no big deal.

A. Service history would be great, but personally, I wouldn’t necessarily shy away for just that one reason. But I would plan to take it for an pre or post purchase inspection by a land cruiser specialty shop. Also see “C” below.

B. Would want to know more about why recently painted and now selling. Some other things to look for can include rust, painted-over rust, accident repairs, leaks & seepage, condition of hoses, overheating issues, white smoke out the exhaust, how it “feels” on the test drive. Also how do you feel about the seller and how he regards the vehicle (is it from a dealer, on-line flipper, a value-added reseller, mechanic, regular joe, an experienced cruiser-owner / enthusiast, etc.)

C. If all checks out and if purchased, would definitely want to have money saved for any service it may need that wasn’t apparent.

Suj

That one has been on CL for over a month at that price while rigs that didn’t look as clean sold quicker for more money. I figured something must be off when the Houston cruiser regulars didn't pounce on it quick. I got the vibe he was a dealer or flipper despite the ad saying otherwise. The sellers phone number is part of several car ads in the last few years if you google it. Lots of normal guys sell a few cars over a few years but his ad just seemed odd to me, like he was trying too hard to convince you he isn’t a dealer. Then again maybe I’m just cynical and overly skeptical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom