5Overland Trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally at a point where the first panel is going on. Aluminum sheet is cut and ready. Prepping the side to install.
trailer3.jpg

6X5.5 to 5x50 wheel adapter. ezaccessory on amazon.

Nice! Sub'd...

Adding the tops to the kitchen. Getting closer.

trailer5.jpg

Awesome job!

You plan on running brakes on it? Does the On Demand heater run on propane?

That Blue Sea Electric bus is great. I just put one in my 60 for all my accessories.

Are you going to run power from the truck of the trailer have it's own battery/solar set up?

Awesome job!

You plan on running brakes on it? Does the On Demand heater run on propane?

That Blue Sea Electric bus is great. I just put one in my 60 for all my accessories.

Are you going to run power from the truck of the trailer have it's own battery/solar set up?

12 in brakes. Heater does run propane. Batteries will charge from truck.

Where did you get your sheet aluminum from? I'm doing something similar and all I can find are 4X8. Yours look bigger in the picture. Have you decided what your painting/covering the outside with?

There is a wholesaler in Ontario (Size Metal). However, the sheets are only 4x8. Great prices though.

I believe they do have a thicker gauge that is a 5x120, but it's not painted. Mine are pre painted. That way I don't have to do any painting on the outside. :cool:

Thanks for the quick reply. The site only lists diamond plate. I will be running a 12" diamond plate strip along the bottom so, That place will be a good option. The panel you show looks smooth in the picture.
Is this the company you used? sizemetal.com
So far I have been going to Industrial Metal in Riverside.

Yes. Give them a call, or go there and talk to the lady at the front desk. They have a lot more than what is on the website. Mine is smooth as well. I too am doing a diamond plate on the bottom.

IMS is great for all the framing and such. However, I have found them to be expensive for things like the panels.

Okay. I'm having builders block on how to accomplish the pop up roof. My goal is to build something similar to this Pop up roof

The reason I am doing the pop top is because we have 3 boys and need the extra bed space on top.

If you were going to do this, how would you do it? I'm definitely using aluminum for the framing. I looked into composite panels, but they were either extremely expensive or unable to get here in SoCal. What are your thoughts? I'm open to suggestions.

Okay. I'm having builders block on how to accomplish the pop up roof.

I'm probably not much help, but I know of two ways: (1) Electric actuators that raise the roof (4 of them). (2) Gas struts similar to what you showed. These are on the outside, but the ones I've seen (and 1 I own on my RTT) have them on the inside and wrapped in cloth to keep dust away. Here are two photos to help you think it through

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 12.49.43 PM.png

21753365_1967651096782581_3415796178037204415_o.jpg

I'm definitely using aluminum for the framing. I looked into composite panels, but they were either extremely expensive or unable to get here in SoCal. What are your thoughts? I'm open to suggestions.

You can make your own composite panels. They don't have to be FRP (fiberglass reinforced panels). I have a book called "Build your own overland camper" by Steve Wigglesworth where he talks about extruded polystyrene foam as insulation and 3mm marine ply outer skin. We have more high-tech materials now (the FRP), but it is expensive, and there's nothing wrong with this other approach, IMO, as long as it's structurally sound.

There is also GRP-based composite paneling, and you can use aluminum as the skin to polystyrene.

You might try calling Andreas at Total Composites of Canada and see if he has some ideas for you too. He's a wealth of knowledge and extremely helpful.

I think I figured out a solution...stay tuned. :bookworm: 🏗

IMG_20200124_095251.jpg

IMG_20200124_094914.jpg

Started framing the roof pop up. Super excited. Getting closer.
MVIMG_20200126_113323.jpg

Finished the back cabinet box. Going to 3d print the hinges, and then put the doors on. :cool:
IMG_20200126_104725.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom