Flexible solar panels on hardshell RTTs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is the wattage output on this one? Andrew, what output size do you think you need?
It is a 100 watt module (panel). With the ability to add one or two more of them to get 200 or 300 if you want. Literally days away from having it up on the site for sale.

Having just purchased a clam shell RTT. I am interested in replaced the 100 watt panel I had under my roof rack. Merlins site has no information I can find on purchase or pricing. Where can I find this information? Any other recommended panels besides Merlin?

Having just purchased a clam shell RTT. I am interested in replaced the 100 watt panel I had under my roof rack. Merlins site has no information I can find on purchase or pricing. Where can I find this information? Any other recommended panels besides Merlin?
What tent did you get? I can get you info or lead you in the right direction. We (Rhino Adventure Gear) are distributors of Merlin as well as a couple other shops in Colorado, that I know of.

What tent did you get? I can get you info or lead you in the right direction. We (Rhino Adventure Gear) are distributors of Merlin as well as a couple other shops in Colorado, that I know of.

I picked up a CVT Mt. Baker ABS clamshell tent. I have been struggling to find a decent solution due to the aero shapes built into the top half of the shell. I was considering bolting up my hard glass panel I was previously using but I would rather not put almost 20 lbs on the top of the tent AND drill holes for mounting hardware.

Finally able to show you guys the goods. Super happy with how the module turned out. Fits up so nice and comes ready with VHB and Everbond backing to stick to anything. 10awg wires terminated with an Anderson SB50. 100 watts.
85A57E60-3436-439D-A9A4-F567B91AD581.jpeg
AC85FB5D-E24C-4EB3-AB28-3F7B72A49DA2.jpeg
A03497BB-57A2-486D-8CAF-DE1DABED0DB7.jpeg
BCB3B676-E01B-488C-B3FB-1989959F89FD.jpeg

Resurrecting this thread.. Any feedback on the Merlin iKamper solar setup?
Also interested in feedback. Particularly interested if you can place 3 of these Rhino panels on one Skycamp 4x, or if the one intended for the spine/mohawk/center would be too wide for the more curvy side parts....

Yes, update on the Merlin's performance please. Can you fit 3 on the iKamper 3.0?

Resurrecting this thread.. Any feedback on the Merlin iKamper solar setup?

Also interested in feedback. Particularly interested if you can place 3 of these Rhino panels on one Skycamp 4x, or if the one intended for the spine/mohawk/center would be too wide for the more curvy side parts....

Yes, update on the Merlin's performance please. Can you fit 3 on the iKamper 3.0?
Hey there,

Sorry I didn’t realize I didn’t do an update on this thread. Needless to say, we’ve been selling our SolarHawk and MiniHawk panels made by Merlin for 3 years now. We’ve sold hundreds of them to customers in the US, Canada and Australia! Regarding fitment, the SolarHawk fits any full-size Skycamp (4x, 2.0 and 3.0). The MiniHawk fits any Skycamp Mini (2.0 and 3.0). They all mount to either Rocky or Glossy tents with the pre installed adhesive backing. We have heard of customers mounting 2 panels on a Skycamp, at their discretion. 3 panels do not fit for sure on top of their corresponding tent they were designed for.

Quality and output have been solid. We have not had a failed panel come back to us. Feel free to research for yourself, but Merlin cells are patented with over 1000 connection points that make them the ruggedest flexible solar panels around. They make panels for semi fleets, commercial, residential, military, emergency, marine and vehicles.

Check them out at our site RHINO ADVENTURE GEAR SolarHawk Solar Panel for iKamper Skycamp 4X RTT - https://www.rhinoadventuregear.com/products/rhino-adventure-gear-solarhawk-roof-top-tent-solar-panel-for-ikamper-skycamp We also have a full line of other sized Merlin flexible panels to fit other tents and campers, trailers etc anywhere from 50-360 watts. Hope that answers some q’s

Below panel is 7# and mm’s thick
62996127-38BF-484B-97BC-467D9E3EEA4B.jpeg

Below customer and friend Alex from Wagantech
EA6B5D86-B686-4D4F-944D-97083D88914F.jpeg

below is the original panel i installed now owned by my friend with a Tacoma. Running great to his Jackery
19CD46D6-91DD-41FB-90BE-0C2F1AFA3A86.jpeg

Below 120 watt rectangle panel on wedge style tent
061CFEB5-CC1E-4517-8EA0-F36DC7A08EA9.jpeg

Below my personal setup, instead of going 200 watts on the tent, I have 100 on the roof and keep a portable foldout that can be used better in my opinion when the tent is not directed at the sun or in shade.

This setup works out to *in theory
100watts potential at home or when truck isn’t being used and I am away from the truck (less power use typically)
100 minimum up to 200watts when at camp (using more power, shade and direction dependent).

If you go with 200 and put it all on the roof the setup works out to
200watts potential at home or when truck isn‘t being used and/or away from the truck
0 minimum up to 200watts when at camp (shade and direction dependent)

Of course nobody is stopping you from buying more watts haha but in my opinion I think having portable vs all permanent solar is a more effective setup.
F781D468-E694-4F2C-BEF3-4F6788FB9004.jpeg

We have a Merlin XP-170 to charge our Goal Zero Yeti 1500X. I can't say enough about the Merlin. We do rely on being able to set it up on the ground or hang it somewhere depending on where the sun is. I would think that permanently putting the panels on the roof of a rooftop tent or even an RV could be problematic. For example, we've been at campsites where the campsite is shaded (a good thing!) but we had to place the panels at the edge of our site for sun. If they were on the roof of our vehicle it would have been a no-go in quite a few cases.

can somebody elaborate a bit on double-sided tape affixing issues if any? I get the impression that some 3M ones are very strong and would withstand drivings speeds, but what does that then mean if you have to remove the panel at some point? Do you have to cut it with a wire or something like that? And then can it be removed from the surface without damaging it?

For smaller forms I have used the piano wire trick to slice between VHB and the substrate. But, on a larger form such as a PV panel, that would be much more difficult.

It does make sense that if has to be on super tight for safety, that it would be hard to remove, of course. One could hope for some magic chemistry trick with some peculiar solvent, I guess, but maybe not yet, eh?

The surface you are adhering the panel to makes a difference. Aluminum panel, vs powder coated steel, vs fiberglass, vs clear coat auto body panels. There is a large variety of tapes and adhesives too which can make it tricky to pin down. Hard to say which work best for which. Removing would probably depend on the surface, adhesive and degree of acceptable damage to surface or panel. We treat our solar panel installs as a permanent modification. Did this 360 watt panel today.

9FE1C0EC-4423-41E0-A72B-E9AFE9DC2050.jpeg

^ what tape or adhesive did you use and how well did it work for you?

We use butyl sheet in the center with VHB RP45 on all edges on panels.

It mounts to non porous and porous surfaces with no problems. Following the install procedure is important for sure too. Heat, dry, clean. No moisture or oils nearby. We’ve never had issues with the panels unsecuring to our setups. I’ll say theres also different finishing tapes and primers for things like roofing installs, marine and freight haulers but we’ve never needed that for 4wd roof rack and tent top installs.

FWIW, and as Shoredreamer stated above, its critical to match the proper VHB tape to the application and substrates as well as using tape that is within its age/date range along with proper etching (if necessary) & cleaning of both surfaces. And, per my application below, to use a sealant/caulk around the perimeter of the exposed VHB tape edges to prevent moisture ingress/contamination that could compromise the bond.

To bond anodized 80/20 profiles to the fiberglass roof on our Escape 15A I used VHB 4959. The two profiles, 1 pair on the front and 1 pair on the back roof area, support SS vertical plates, HD SS drawer slides and 2-200w PV panels (total of 4 PV panels on the roof). Going on 3-years and no issues whatsoever. Last September they passed the 90mph test across Wyoming.

Whaaaat? you can use VHB to secure 80/20 extrusions...? Genius!
Do you have to use the solid back 80/20 or would the regular 4 sided slots one work too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom