CV axle won't go back in front diff housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I recently installed the harrop e locker for the front differential, I noticed that the driver side CV axle is leaking. Did anyone have this issue, or know someone that had this issue.

I just read that you need to change one of the bearings that are 45mm to a 50mm. Did you do that?

No, the bearings are inside the carrier and have nothing to do with your CV axle shaft not fully seating inside the splines. If the bearings were incorrect, I have a hard time believing that the carrier would bolt back properly or that the clamshell housing would fit back together.

The cir-clip on the end of the cv shaft can be a bugger to power into the diff carrier, but it will eventually go. Some say if you position the cir-clip with the open gap upwards it works better as you shove the shaft in. I think it doesn't really matter.

No, the bearings are inside the carrier and have nothing to do with your CV axle shaft not fully seating inside the splines. If the bearings were incorrect, I have a hard time believing that the carrier would bolt back properly or that the clamshell housing would fit back together.

The cir-clip on the end of the cv shaft can be a bugger to power into the diff carrier, but it will eventually go. Some say if you position the cir-clip with the open gap upwards it works better as you shove the shaft in. I think it doesn't really matter.

Alright thank you for the info

You shouldn't need to change any bearings or grind down your CV's. I installed a front Harrop last fall. I was testing fitment before I set the differential in the chassis and I noticed that the CV axles fit very tight, even though the splined section dropped right into place. On the inner CV's, I cleaned up all of the smooth surfaces behind the splined section with fine emery cloth. I also used a little bit of grease to center the C-clip on the shaft. Then I put a very thin film of grease on all of the mating surfaces, being careful not to get any into the oil channels inside the Harrop. After some prep work, it all went together smoothly.

You've probably already tried beating on it, maybe pull your CV axle back out and see if there's a rough surface somewhere causing it to hang up.
IMG_3797a.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom