Builds Unicorns are real... My dream car FJ73 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[
The big unthreaded hole is where the cam sensor goes. The threaded hole is where the oil pressure sensor goes. I adapted it to accept the factory Toyota dash sensor. GM ecm does not need data from the GM sensor.

Awesome info... on the oil pressure sensor, did you find a threaded adapter, or did you retap?

Cam sensor, what brand stuff do you use?

1578334205987.png

I found an aluminum adapter to go from the Metric Gm thread to NPT, just gotta run a BSPT (Toyota sender thread) tap through it or just jam the Toyota sender in it, NPT and BSPT are only 1 TPI apart

searching for oil pressure adapters.....

Amazon product ASIN B07NW1XKHR

Amazon product ASIN B00UZ9HEQ4

Last edited:
searching for oil pressure adapters.....

Amazon product ASIN B00UZ9HEQ4
Haha I remember finding that “Jags that run” conglomeration.

I just ordered the one Marks sells because I was already getting the trans adapter from them.

They have one you can use for the stock Toyota water temp sensor too if you like. There’s a open port on the passenger head close to the firewall (heads are modular) most people use.

I just turn the Toyota water temp sender down to the smaller thread size, it’s pretty easy and free if you have the right die. I don’t use adapters if I can avoid it, I just don’t like look of them.
I have that $10 amazon adapter, I still need to install it though, my Toyota sender is currently tapped into the 2-bolt plate on the pan but it’s very close to exhaust and the wire is long and awkward

How do I know if my ECU can do the cable or if I need the Fly by wire?

Kelly

1578503705983.png

Thinking about hood scoops today... really liked the HILUX scoop I saw in Belize last year....
1579209558839.png

Think this is it...

1579209596432.png

1579209629441.png

Anyone have one of these?

How does it attached? I’m venting the hood on mine. Only due to the Cummins intake horn touching the hood.

How does it attached? I’m venting the hood on mine. Only due to the Cummins intake horn touching the hood.
looks like bolts through retainer points

1579236112400.png

Wonder if it would interfere with the windshield folded down.

I don’t buy into “while you’re in there” any more.
I don’t see why you need to pull the engine completely out? You have the radiator out, right? You can’t pull the engine 6”-8” forwards?
Headgaskets aren’t time bombs.. they’re good or they’re not. The bearings looked fine and you did a compression test right? No water in the oil, and no oil in the water?

Just me though. I like driving Land Cruisers more then wrenching on them.
Wonder if it would interfere with the windshield folded down.

I'll let you know. Worst case we have to add some taller bump stops.

Got a scoop.

5B282F63-78D4-4E02-A770-747AA4C744A2.jpeg

I like the size...
3B8A032C-02E2-4F3F-B7CF-6D7EF122337D.jpeg

comparison to size of subaru scoop.
87E55644-2FA2-4732-9FA0-79F78BB8BC1A.jpeg

64A43CA0-667C-4A72-92C7-DDD765CD3EB6.jpeg

profile...
23A57BBC-733B-43EC-8029-3EA7209EF1EF.jpeg

Ok, based on the model and the ports, looks like we have an R12 system. I have a couple cans left, but we know this is just going to pump it out as quick as I put it in, so it needs converted.

View attachment 2065174

Info dump... if it holds pressure and will engage clutch, I might be able to convert to r134a

View attachment 2065175

View attachment 2065176

View attachment 2065177

Replacement compressor for R134 with same size of SD508. Looks like mine is a PV7 or PV8 Groove -- will have to look tonight, DC12V.

View attachment 2065178
I know this is a older post, but I will reply anyway. I have put R134 refrigerant in a number of R12 vehicles that weren't cooling well and needed some more freon. R134 worked fine in every R12 vehicle I put it in. There are valve adapters sold at your local auto parts store so you can use the new type charge kit on the old system. The longest I ran R134 in a R12 car was 4 years in Okinawa, using the air daily. Can't say how long it will last, but It has worked well for me in the past. I''m sure you can over analyze the science/engineering aspects of the refrigerants and compatability, but trial and error will likely be more efficient. Good luck!

just saw that @CruiserShop is making LS brackets for the LS into the 80 series.... wonder how close the stock mount is to where I need to put the LS in the 70 series??

1580845894885.png

1580845962217.png

I have a BJ74 w/3B and a RHD 13bt BJ73 in the shop... I can take measurements if you want. Running an H55 or going to a GM transmission?

(happy to enable sacrilege like LS swapping a diesel Land Cruiser.
:devil:)

Last edited:
I have a BJ74 w/3B and a RHD 13bt BJ73 in the shop... I can take measurements if you want. Running an H55 or going to a GM transmission?

(happy to enable sacrilege like LS swapping a diesel Land Cruiser.
:devil:)

That is great. Yes, planning on keeping the H55; however, my understanding is that I will need to move the transmission forward several inches for the LS to fit. Also, i have the VM 2.5 engine in it, so not sure what the frame mounts look like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom