Anyone recognize this Blue 1971, and/or it's mods? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nomenclature for your Land Cruiser FJ-40, for short, would be "Cruiser" or "40 Series" or "40". The FJ resides at the beginning of many different models and years and, most recently, is typically only used for the FJ Cruiser.

I'd paint the roof cap and front bezel Cygnus white. Paint the roll bar black or gray. Paint the instrument cluster and glove box door pewter.

A lot of guys like the look of seats sans headrests, but all Land Cruiser bucket seats had head rests, unlike Jeeps and Broncos of the same era. Your 40 would have had long-style jump seats in the rear and a 2-piece bench in the front. I'd want more comfortable seats with a stock look and headrests.

If you dig the wider wheel/tire look, have a set of the 15x5.5 stock Toyota Steelies (still available form Toyota) widened to 8" or 10" by Stockton Wheel in CA or your preferred wheel widener. Paint them gray, slap some hubcaps on and go. If you like the aftermarket wheels, stick with those. I'd guess the spacers are due to improper backspacing of the current set-up rather than actual width of the wheel/tire package.

There should be a clue as to original color...either in the glove box (where color changes rarely get coverage) or via the code on the data plate. If there are no visual clues, maybe it is a high quality color-change...which is great, especially if you dig the color.

Having uncut rear fenders is a huge plus.

There is a lot of potential with that 40. Good luck!

Nomenclature for your Land Cruiser FJ-40, for short, would be "Cruiser" or "40 Series" or "40". The FJ resides at the beginning of many different models and years and, most recently, is typically only used for the FJ Cruiser.

I'd paint the roof cap and front bezel Cygnus white. Paint the roll bar black or gray. Paint the instrument cluster and glove box door pewter.

A lot of guys like the look of seats sans headrests, but all Land Cruiser bucket seats had head rests, unlike Jeeps and Broncos of the same era. Your 40 would have had long-style jump seats in the rear and a 2-piece bench in the front. I'd want more comfortable seats with a stock look and headrests.

If you dig the wider wheel/tire look, have a set of the 15x5.5 stock Toyota Steelies (still available form Toyota) widened to 8" or 10" by Stockton Wheel in CA or your preferred wheel widener. Paint them gray, slap some hubcaps on and go. If you like the aftermarket wheels, stick with those. I'd guess the spacers are due to improper backspacing of the current set-up rather than actual width of the wheel/tire package.

There should be a clue as to original color...either in the glove box (where color changes rarely get coverage) or via the code on the data plate. If there are no visual clues, maybe it is a high quality color-change...which is great, especially if you dig the color.

Having uncut rear fenders is a huge plus.

There is a lot of potential with that 40. Good luck!

Thanks - I did some 40 editing.

Good info on the paint, and the roll bar is raw aluminum currently.

I agree about more comfortable seats with headrests. I think the last guy put the current ones in, so his grandkids could crawl back there to the rear bench seat. He's also got the CD head unit mounted between the seats, next to the driver's seat. I am definitely interested in swapping out the rear bench for jump seats, and sourcing stock look bucket seats with head rests.

Thank you for the info on wheels, I was not aware you could get stock widened. I do like the look of stock wheels, but a little wider would be nice maybe. Without the spacer on the current setup, I think the tires would hit on full right and full left. Here's a couple pics:

IMG_20200113_181158.jpg

IMG_20200113_181233.jpg

Thanks again for your input - I'll check out the glove box and data plate.

Can I ask why having uncut fenders is a plus?

Because it means the body is that much more original. It hasn't been hacked and cut up.
More value seen in a tub that hasn't been cut vs. cut

Original is a plus around here

Thanks! And yes, I'm definitely getting the original vibe here. I look forward to toning this thing down some. Can you tell me if all the hardware should be painted body color? Or, is it acceptable for some of the items to chrome or SS for example? I would like to ditch all the chrome hinges for sure, but am wondering if I should leave hood/windshield/rear door latches and side mirrors as-is - or should they be swapped out as well?

Now that i'm not an expert on someone else will have to provide their input

Pretty sure the hood/windshield/rear latches/mirros are not chrome. I'd basically remove all of it lol

Now that i'm not an expert on someone else will have to provide their input

Pretty sure the hood/windshield/rear latches/mirros are not chrome. I'd basically remove all of it lol

And I WANT to remove all of it, I just don't want to replace it "wrong". I understand it will always be a resto mod regardless what I do, and I'm cool with that. I do like the suspension lift and front disc axle swap, but will figure out a better tire/wheel combo.

FWIW - Toyota OEM rims widened out to 9" running 32x11.5R15 with an OME 2.5" lift.

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

DSC05500.jpg

I think there is a place up in Jersey that can modify the OEM rims to your liking, but not sure of the business name.

FYI that is a stock 71 booster.

They will widen them to your specs. I believe 3.5" is about right for FJ-40s.

If you like the widened wheels, I have a set assuming Wally doesn’t need/want them. We aren’t too terribly far from each other if you’re in Jersey. Im sure I could find an excuse to have to go down to Atlantic City anyway :rofl:

Here is a pic of the ones I have. Clean and apply a fresh coat of paint and they’re good to go!

2410D180-50D0-4292-BD6D-BE0BD629D058.jpeg

^ How wide are those? I'll keep you in mind, thanks. I see all your hinge and latch hardware is painted body color, that answers one of my previous questions - thanks!

Not sure how wide to be honest. Currently there’s a 9.5” wide tire mounted to it. Glad the picture helped answer other questions!

Also, I really like your 40 and can’t wait to see what you do with it!

33x10.5 on 5.5 wheels? Yikes

Yeah, the sticker is coming off, I just haven't got around to it yet - messing with the tires and such, so I could get it in the garage.

Yes, appears to be pass. side wheel cylinder

everyone runs this size with zero issues.

82EFEDA8-BDA5-40E3-847E-B183357E9DB7.jpeg

forgot to post earlier: consider yourself lucky, blue is faster :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom