300 series rumors??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what data do we have that shows the electronics make the 200 dispatch less reliability that say an 80 or a 40? While it’s common to think that modern vehicles are ‘too complex’, I’ve yet to see a case on a 200 where something electronic has stranded the truck. Do we have any metric that actually confirms this conclusion?
I had an issue where my 200 shut down after 1 minute 15 seconds of driving or idling. Read that again - while driving down the road, the engine shut itself off.

Now that is a sample of 1, but it is 100% more unreliable than any other Landcruiser I've owned.

I keep hearing talk of stripped down cruiser. How can Toyota sell a LC at $55k which is 35% less than the $85k they sell for now.

They can’t and they won’t. If we’re lucky, they will keep selling the loaded LC here in the US. If we aren’t lucky, they will stop selling the loaded LC here. There is no chance of Toyota selling a stripped down LC here in the US. It won’t happen.

1568403281790.png

1568403351534.png

All i am saying - looks like the cheapest 200 in AUS is 85k Australian dollars which is $58k USD
1568403281790.png
1568403351534.png

Wait. Aren't you in an 80? Isn't that the other side of this discussion? The
300 should be more like the 80?

Yes I am. As to the prospects of a 300--or any future sales of new Land Cruisers in the U.S.--I think Toyota needs to fundamentally rethink things. The current approach risks a dead end. Letting 4Runner take its place won't work. As capable as it is, one drive on dirt quickly reveals its lack of Land Cruiser duty.

A different approach could be to use the 300 to re-launch (and actually market) the Land Cruiser brand in the U.S. -- a small family of modern but more utilitarian vehicles that nod to the core Cruiser values of simplicity, reliability, durability, capability, and longevity and that employ inevitable low carbon technologies.

Last edited:
2020 was cancelled (the year). the 18 people that signed the petition went out and bought 1 gen yaris's with a RTT... TRD badges and all. The Prado line is still going strong out of Milano.

I heard it’s supposed to have full floating, Hd straight axles selectable lockers and double triangulated 4-link suspension. No AC, removable hard top, more metal than plastic and 35” tires stock.

No stupid I can’t drive my own vehicle bulls!t, no navigation other than a paper map holder.

I guess I mean I WISH I heard that.

I heard it’s supposed to have full floating, Hd straight axles selectable lockers and double triangulated 4-link suspension. No AC, removable hard top, more metal than plastic and 35” tires stock.

No stupid I can’t drive my own vehicle bulls!t, no navigation other than a paper map holder.

I guess I mean I WISH I heard that.
That is the same thing I heard too.

Yes I am. As to the prospects of a 300--or any future sales of new Land Cruisers in the U.S.--I think Toyota needs to fundamentally rethink things. The current approach risks a dead end. Letting 4Runner take its place won't work. As capable as it is, one drive on dirt quickly reveals its lack of Land Cruiser duty.

A different approach could be to use the 300 to re-launch (and actually market) the Land Cruiser brand in the U.S. -- a small family of modern but more utilitarian vehicles that nod to the core Cruiser values of simplicity, reliability, durability, capability, and longevity and that employ inevitable low carbon technologies.

As a 4Runner owner I don't think a 4Runner can ever replace a Land Cruiser. Structurally from the ground up it's just not built to the same standard that Land Cruisers are. However I think that's the good thing about it, they are still extremely capable, well built, and you can still get into a 4Runner for a relatively low entry price. However in terms of comfort, size, power & durability, long distance travel it's the Land Cruiser all day. So I will never look at a 4R as a LC replacement. I do however hope Toyota dedicates the 4Runner as more of an off-road capable rig for the next generation. I think they were caught this generation in trying to do too much with both the 4R and LC in trying to make them jack of all trades. They wanted to turn BOF, solid axle trucks into luxury vehicles.

I agree with you that Toyota needs to rethink their strategy and I'm sure they already have something in place that we don't know about. I hope they turn the 4Runner into more of a Wrangler and Bronco fighter. More of a fun, midsize off-road play toy. Take a year or two off from the Land Cruiser and re-introduce it as the grand daddy full-size overland vehicle we know it can and should be. Leave all the unnecessary luxuries to the LX version. The only hiccup I can see is if Mike Sweers has anything to do with either the 4Runner or Land Cruiser. He's more interested in MPG, efficiency, and keeping things status-quo rather than introducing something we'd want.

8” infotainment screen. I can’t wait...

I like the idea of more power with better fuel economy, but I do wonder about the longevity of a hybrid, if the LC is used as WE like to use them.

CVT?! :cry: Sure hope that's not right.

I like the idea of more power with better fuel economy, but I do wonder about the longevity of a hybrid, if the LC is used as WE like to use them.
The market for new LCs that Toyota cares about, does not use them offroad. I'd say most of us don't use our newer LCs off-road all that much. They are bought for their excessive capabilities above-and-beyond their intended use. When wealthy people buy a vehicle for off-road, it is going to be one of those excessively modified "overlanding" rigs you see occasionally at WalMart parking lots, a Unimog, or a helicopter. (almost) Nobody buys a new LC for off-roading, a hybrid will be a good fit for people who buy them new, and that is all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom