Warn Warning. Service Kit. (sort of funny) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steamer

SILVER Star
Threads
So I detected a little play in my front wheel bearings and I pulled the Warn hubs and re-set the axle nut. But, I tore the outer gasket on one of the lockouts. Dang! I now have to buy a whole service kit for those two flimsy paper outer gaskets. So, I ordered kit # 7309 from Amazon and have it in two days. When I went to put it back together, I couldn't get the gasket over the guts of the outer part of the hub. Oh yeh, I remember. The kit comes with two extra different gaskets so the same kit can also be used with another style of hub. And that’s when I notice I have four of the same outer gaskets and they’re not the ones for my hubs. Bummer! Now I also remember that the package appeared to be re-stapled. I doubt it’s a mistake from Warn. I believe someone pulled a “switcheroo”. Clever if that’s what happened. You could buy a kit then swap out the gaskets you need for the ones you don’t need that are left over from another kit then return it. I’ve set up an exchange with Amazon and informed them what I believe may have happened. They’re doing one day free ship. I just hope this trick isn’t common and I end up with another switched out kit. I'm sort of laughing. Thought this was gonna be a quick job.

warn kit.jpg

Look forward to the follow up on this.

I paid my gasket guy to laser cut me 100 of them so I can take care of in house service without having to charge my customers for those 7309 kits.

Amazon has been hit and miss this past year ... we ordered 20 mechanic tool sets, when we received the box (it had been damaged and the packing slip with old cardboard still attached taped to it) the box had several used old books inside instead of the tools (1980’s fitness and heath garbage books) but .... the box was the exact same weight as our tool sets :meh:

Somebody at amazon got some nice tools to sell on the streets

They made right and shipped out 20 new sets in 2 day delivery

The hastle sucked and found a nice place to donate the books to lol

I paid my gasket guy to laser cut me 100 of them so I can take care of in house service without having to charge my customers for those 7309 kits.

That's a great idea! I always like to buy extra gaskets when ordering any. A hundred would be a bit many for me though. LOL.
No one I've found sells just the gaskets. I still have a kit missing only those two gaskets because that's all I needed a while back.
Replacement kit scheduled for delivery today so I can finish this project and get it off the jack stands and onto the next project.

Amazon has been hit and miss this past year ... we ordered 20 mechanic tool sets, when we received the box (it had been damaged and the packing slip with old cardboard still attached taped to it) the box had several used old books inside instead of the tools (1980’s fitness and heath garbage books) but .... the box was the exact same weight as our tool sets :meh:

Somebody at amazon got some nice tools to sell on the streets

They made right and shipped out 20 new sets in 2 day delivery

The hastle sucked and found a nice place to donate the books to lol

Yup! It happens. I see in the news now then where a ups or fedex driver gets busted for theft. I get a boo boo from Amazon every now & then but they've always been great about fixing it. They've made returns super easy now. Don't even have to box it, wrap it or put any labels on it. For a return they text me a code and I take the loose product to a nearby Kohl's store where they have an Amazon return counter. They just scan my phone text, and hand me a return receipt. And the Kohl's is right next to my grocery store.

My scam story involved beer, and taught me to "inspect the goods."

I bought a four pack of Dog Fish Head 90 Minute IPA, and when I got home, discovered one of the four bottles was actually 60 Minute IPA.

"Buyer Beware!"

My scam story involved beer, and taught me to "inspect the goods."

I bought a four pack of Dog Fish Head 90 Minute IPA, and when I got home, discovered one of the four bottles was actually 60 Minute IPA.

"Buyer Beware!"
Oh the horror of having to suffer through the 60 minute IPA. Has the swelling gone down yet? Did it buff out?

I can't believe I just received the replacement kit and it has the same problem. Four of the gaskets I don't need and none that I need. Here goes another return. Don't think I'll order another kit. I'll make my own. Maybe I'll try to call Warn tomorrow. Jeeez , what a pain.

Sounds like the packer at Warn might be screwing up!

Sounds like the packer at Warn might be screwing up!

That may be. I guess I got suspicious because I still have a complete kit from a few years back. I didn’t use the bolts & washers and I used the inner hub gaskets from a knuckle rebuild kit, so the only thing missing in this old kit is the two gaskets I need now. Made me think that someone in the same situation could have ordered a kit, swapped gaskets & then returned. To add to the suspicion, it was obvious that the four alike gaskets were not cut from the same gasket sheet. Two shades of gray, and two showed remnants of lettering from the gasket sheet and the other two did not.

Going to call Warn in a bit and see what they think. Maybe the kits have changed. Maybe they’ll let me buy some individual gaskets from them. Maybe they’ll just blame Amazon. We’ll see. I’m trying to figure out the Warn model number that I have. It’s not readable anymore and I can’t find it in my files.

Still trying to figure out my Warn hub model number before I call Warn.
But!! In my search I found if I punch in 74 Landcruiser at Parts Geek it says this gasket fits my vehicle. It sure looks like what I need. Might try a few. $3.58 each and $11.95 shipping for two. If I knew they fit I'd get a dozen.

Parts Geek 02.jpg

Spoke with Jeremy at Warn customer service. For some reason he couldn’t pull up the complete kit picture like I could. He could only pull up individual pics of the kit parts breakdown. But,,, he couldn’t pull up a pic of the one gasket I need. Uh oh! Discontiued maybe? He asked me to email him pics and he would try to track it down which I did. I went ahead anyway and ordered the Parts Geek gaskets on a chance they may work. I did find out the model # for my course spline hubs. Warn 28781.
And Ding! just got an email from Jeremy and he found two and is sending them to me. Ok! looks like this problem may be solved. I'll post results when the shipments arrive.

could you cut the extra material off with a sharp scissors or exacto-knife ?

could you cut the extra material off with a sharp scissors or exacto-knife ?

Decent idea, Yes, I could. but there's very little mating surface and even if I was exact in material removal, the voids left from the mismatched gasket would render that mating surface even narrower in many spots.
Since some other gaskets from two sources are coming, I'll just wait and see. If those don't work than I'll be giving your suggestions a try. Or, I'll be using RTV. I'm pretty decent at making gaskets but I think these wavy, close tolerant suckers would be a challenge.

Top pic taken from Poser's post in FAQ's Lockouts 101
EDIT: 1/25/20 Top pic from Poser is not what I have. Pic of mine, next post down.
28781 X3.jpg

Last edited:
Well the Nippon Reinz gaskets from Parts Geek just arrived and they almost fit. It’s hard to believe that Warn would make two hubs that are that close but different. I’m figuring is just a sloppy cut. I could elongate the holes inward and make them work. Quite tight in areas of the inner perimeter also and I had to force it on. May have to trim that a bit as well. Guess I’ll wait for the two from Warn to arrive and compare.

I used the top hub housing pic above from Poser’s post thinking it was what I had because of the course spline. It was dark out and the hubs were wrapped in plastic for the wait on parts. But today in daylight and uncovered, I see I picked wrong. Here’s a pic of my hub housing below.

28781 C.jpg

hand held paper hole punch and be done with it :)

Yup, I trimmed a 32nd all around the inside perimeter and elongated/punched the holes. They'll work. But If I button them up now, then I can't check the ones coming from Warn so I'll hold off till they come. Should be soon.

28781 D.jpg

The two new gaskets from Warn just now were delivered. And,,, they are the same two "Wrong" gaskets. $hit !!!! I emailed Jeremy at Warn and he apologized. He had both pair on his desk comparing them as they are so close, and he got them mixed up. The right ones are headed my way. Crazy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom