Builds The LF40 Wheeler Build - Twin Turbo & 8 Speed Auto FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been meaning to teach myself Solidworks for a while. I have just never got around to it. It is also free for students and I have it downloaded, but I just need to give myself some time for me to learn it.
I'm not sure how similar it is to OnShape as I have never used it but I'm sure the basics would be intuitive. There are tons of Solidworks tutorials on YouTube. I even have to reference them sometimes if I need to do something that I have never done before. Even after 17 years I have not come close to using SW to it's fullest potential.

Here is a little something I have been working on for a couple of hours.

I really like the stubby bumpers on the 40s, so I am going to make one for this build.

It has an integrated light bar mount that I hope will be somewhat hidden. I also like the idea of the node bar to protect the radiator if you roll.

The winch mount is meant for the Warn 8724. The pull point is a little higher than I would like, but it would work. It also has the dual pull hole on the bottom plate so you could theoretically winch backwards if you need to.

fb front.PNG

fb side.PNG

fb top.PNG

fb topt.PNG

Here is the file.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how similar it is to OnShape as I have never used it but I'm sure the basics would be intuitive. There are tons of Solidworks tutorials on YouTube. I even have to reference them sometimes if I need to do something that I have never done before. Even after 17 years I have not come close to using SW to it's fullest potential.

It looks similar, but I'm sure there are a lot of subtle differences that make you want to pull hair out when you can't figure them out.

@Drake2 @DangerNoodle

Onshape was started by the original solid works team after they sold the cad system to DSS. They made onshape and just sold that to PTC (pro-e).
You can import any file type but you loose the model tree (like every other cad system).

Onshape is awesome bc it is cloud based and you can open it from any browser on any pc or connected device.

Search FJ40 on onshape and you will find my stuff.

Last edited:
@Bluegrass40 .....actually SW has a cool option called "feature recognition". With that I can import .STP, .IGES, Parasolid, etc. and when running feature recognitian SW rebuilds the part and creates a new feature tree based on the features of the part.

Body color engine bay look better .

For engine block , heads and pan , i like light color ( light blue - green or beige ) it make any leak easy to see

Good to know. But for an offroad truck, light color engines get dirty quick!

Well, things are starting to move again on the project. The timeline on this project just got moved up, and I would like to be able to take this to SAS 2020. SO I have until August to get this thing done. I found a transmission shop that said they would be willing to pull apart the $100 NV4500 and give an estimate to rebuild it. Hopefully, I can convince my dad to get that done before spring break, so I can start on the new frame.

I have also been doing a lot of research and working on my 3-link calculations. Does anybody have any experience with TMR Customs? I'm looking at their Johnny Joint 3-link kit.

Anyways, just a little update for now.

Well, I am home for the long weekend, and tying to get some stuff done.

The white 40 helped me move some snow today.
20200215_122309.jpg

20200215_122350.jpg
20200215_123033.jpg

I then got around to today's project, splitting the $100 nv4500 so my dad can take it down to get rebuilt.

Laziness.

20200215_131401.jpg

One of the bolts holding the tcase onto the tranny was stripped. I tried a smaller socket, and then this happened.
20200215_154754.jpg

I tried to cut a notch and use a hand impact. Nada.

NV4500 Breakdown
Here is the easy solution.
20200215_163714.jpg

And it broke free.

20200215_163707.jpg

If this hadn't of worked, you pull the ole "you can't be tight if you're liquid" trick. That usually works.

Off came the transfer case.

20200215_172723.jpg

Kind of interesting, the transfer case housing was really cracked. Stress fractures, frozen? Anyone know?

20200215_172737.jpg

Glad I don't need this transfer case.

Anyways, tomorrows project is the front fj80 axle rebuild.

Front Axle Reassembly
Well, I was able to get the front axle pieced back together today, with only a few minor issues.

I started by rebuilding the birfields. I hate them with a passion just based on how messy they are.
20200216_120750.jpg

Next, the knuckles and tierod went on, along with the diff.

20200216_145754.jpg

I put in the axles, and started testing the locker, and found that it wouldn't unlock after being depressurized. Not good. Dad and I hemmed and hawed about it, and I eventually ended up pulling the diff and cleaning the airline. I think there was some silicone left in the line from when I installed the o-rings, and that was blocking the pressure from escaping. After some very thorough testing, the fix seemed to work so we continued on.

I popped out the old races from the hub, and started cleaning them.

20200216_170828.jpg

A cool trick I found is to split the old races and use them to hammer the new races in. It seems to work really well.

20200216_172244.jpg

Onto the brakes.

20200216_174241.jpg

And the garage is back together (somewhat), and I'm happy that the front axle is together so the project can continue.

20200216_195949.jpg

Also, I nuked my coveralls today, so more stuff to clean. Yay!
20200216_200152.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the easy solution. View attachment 2212309

And it broke free.

View attachment 2212310

If this hadn't of worked, you pull the ole "you can't be tight if you're liquid" trick. That usually works.

Off came the transfer case.

View attachment 2212311

Kind of interesting, the transfer case housing was really cracked. Stress fractures, frozen? Anyone know?

View attachment 2212312

Glad I don't need this transfer case.

Anyways, tomorrows project is the front fj80 axle rebuild.
Those appear to be cracks in the die that is used to make the housing. The cracks in the die make for the opposite on the part which is your housing. I'm going to guess what you think are cracks are actually raised up, which is extra aluminum that is in the exact shape of the inverse crack in the die.

Those appear to be cracks in the die that is used to make the housing. The cracks in the die make for the opposite on the part which is your housing. I'm going to guess what you think are cracks are actually raised up, which is extra aluminum that is in the exact shape of the inverse crack in the die.

The cracks don't feel raised, but I didn't check very hard.

Why would the die have cracks though?

After many cycles/runs (hundreds or even thousands) die halves can generate stress or fatigue cracks due to the constant super heating and then cooling with die release agents. The die halves are usually made from tool steels but will still crack or micro fracture after the repeated high pressure and heat of the die casting process. A die with fractures can still produce a quality part but as the die ages, the fractures will propagate and become worse. This process will continue until the die is removed from service for repair or replaced. This usually happens when the part that is being made from the die requires a secondary sanding or deburring process which adds secondary cost to the part. Dies are expensive to produce so when to repair them as opposed to running with fractures is a delicate balance that the die owners typically don't make quickly (unless the die defect is major). I worked in a die casting factory for a few years and then running CNC's machining the die cast parts for a few more years (United Auto Workers). Then I supervised a Quality Control Department that managed the parts from about 100 operators.

This picture shows the extra aluminum on a die cast engine part that was filling in the cracks on the die. Keep in mind that your cast aluminum part is the exact opposite of the die that produced it.

1581921490423.png

I’ve opened a few nv4500’s, they all look like that as do most large aluminum castings

A little update. (Sorry, no pictures)

The NV4500 needs a 3rd and 5th gear, and the transfer case is good. I'll hopefully have a completely rebuilt drivetrain soon.

I ordered the SOA stuff from RuffStuff, a TMR Customs 3 Link kit, and a Holley sniper. Also, the 350 is getting Vortec Heads, so HP gains here we come. (Just kidding). I'm really nervous about breaking in this motor after reading a bunch of horror stories of failed break-ins. My spring break is coming up in a couple of weeks, and a bunch of stuff should get done then!

Last edited:
Axle Bracket Removal
Well, the stars aligned, and all of my professors ended up canceling my classes today and tomorrow. 4 day weekend for me, so I decided to come home yesterday and work on cruiser stuff.

I followed this guy out of town for a bit. It's always cool to see a cruiser in the wild.

20200304_184412.jpg

I started today by cutting the brackets off the 80 axles. They were on there pretty good, but a plasma torch and grinder fixed that.

20200305_110241.jpg

20200305_134611.jpg
20200305_134627.jpg

20200305_172512.jpg

20200305_174619.jpg

And a cruiser pic just because.

20200305_175634.jpg

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the frame cleaned up and remove all of the mounts that I don't need and start boxing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom