Builds Picked up a Pickup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is my experience that the stock FJ-40 wheels (welded/disc brake) still sold by Toyota fit well on IFS Toyota minitrucks. I ran them on a 1986 mini and currently run them on a 1989 4Runner.

Thanks @FishTacos.

I've heard the 40 wheels do work - but that's not as useful as what @G-Cat said.

Even being 99.44% certain they'd work on a straight axle, I still test fitted a wheel before powder coating, mounting tires, etc.

Any videos of it driving out of an ACC bay?

🤣

The drive home was kinda funny. OME 2" springs with a light load up front (no bumper) and a really light load out back, made for some bouncing! I swear the back tires had daylight under them on a couple expansion joints (at 70 mph). Once the bed, spare, sliders, winch bumper/winch are in place, I'll reassess. I'm guessing the rear spring packs might have to cough up a leaf. Check the angle of those shackles!

On the plus side, everything is quiet - no squeaks or rattles.

I spent a couple hours cleaning the interior and prepping the floor for FatMat and carpet. One more look at the frontend and I had to order the ARB. It just looks silly with nothing up there. Reminds me of that Muppet - Beaker.

Starting on the bed next week.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.01.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.01.56 PM.png

It's nice to have Patty home... even if it's just for a little while.

Where’s Dr Bunsen Honeydew?

Where’s Dr Bunsen Honeydew?
He was overseeing the interior work. It was nice to have a scientist on hand to confirm all the measurements and cuts.

Adapting the door panels/weather stripping to the doors with the vent windows was easier than I thought it'd be - just a matter of cutting the weather stripping and tucking the rest of the panel under the vent window's rubber seal. Kinda looks factory.
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 8.51.51 AM.png

Next up was carpet. Well, after a couple hours FatMatting the floors. I'll bet this truck's gonna be as quiet as a Tesla... well, an older Tesla... with the windows down and doors open ;)
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 8.55.23 AM.png

Toughest part of the carpet installation is locating the bolt holes for the seats and belts. I got the ACC carpet with the thicker rubber backing. That and the fuzzy insulation definitely makes it tough to feel the holes from the carpet side. Some are visible from the bottom - I'll likely do the torch + pick trick and poke holes up through the carpet. Then, I can start to bolt the carpet down (just bolts and washers - no seats or belts). That'll let me lift up and feel for the other holes (front of seat mounts) without the carpet shifting out of place. I'm open to other tips too!

EDIT: I just watched a YouTube video that showed a way to find the bolt holes. It was so simple, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it. Take bolts that fit the holes, cut the heads off (that part's optional) and install the bolts leaving them sticking out an inch. Install the carpet - push down, find the bolt, cut or mark the hole. Boom.

I might do ^that^ and mark all the holes with a black Sharpie, then pull the carpet, and use the socket + torch = cookie cutter trick to make perfect little holes. I tried that on a piece of scrap carpet. It works amazingly well - left a perfect hole and the carpet is cauterized in the process.

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 9.00.32 AM.png

Last edited:
This thing is going to be soooo nice! Can’t wait to see it with the ARB on it!

My wife keeps telling me we should go to Savannah at some point (she used to live in Macon) and if we get to that, I’d love to see it in person. Might be a few years down the road, but I doubt you’re going to let this one out of your sight after it’s done.

...Might be a few years down the road, but I doubt you’re going to let this one out of your sight after it’s done.
That would be awesome. I'll drop what I'm doing and meet you guys for lunch/dinner/beers... And yeah, I suspect we're going to keep this one.

He was overseeing the interior work. It was nice to have a scientist on hand to confirm all the measurements and cuts.

Adapting the door panels/weather stripping to the doors with the vent windows was easier than I thought it'd be - just a matter of cutting the weather stripping and tucking the rest of the panel under the vent window's rubber seal. Kinda looks factory.
View attachment 2181544

Next up was carpet. Well, after a couple hours FatMatting the floors. I'll bet this truck's gonna be as quiet as a Tesla... well, an older Tesla... with the windows down and doors open ;)
View attachment 2181545

Toughest part of the carpet installation is locating the bolt holes for the seats and belts. I got the ACC carpet with the thicker rubber backing. That and the fuzzy insulation definitely makes it tough to feel the holes from the carpet side. Some are visible from the bottom - I'll likely do the torch + pick trick and poke holes up through the carpet. Then, I can start to bolt the carpet down (just bolts and washers - no seats or belts). That'll let me lift up and feel for the other holes (front of seat mounts) without the carpet shifting out of place. I'm open to other tips too!

EDIT: I just watched a YouTube video that showed a way to find the bolt holes. It was so simple, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it. Take bolts that fit the holes, cut the heads off (that part's optional) and install the bolts leaving them sticking out an inch. Install the carpet - push down, find the bolt, cut or mark the hole. Boom.

I might do ^that^ and mark all the holes with a black Sharpie, then pull the carpet, and use the socket + torch = cookie cutter trick to make perfect little holes. I tried that on a piece of scrap carpet. It works amazingly well - left a perfect hole and the carpet is cauterized in the process.

View attachment 2181547
Do you feel that the extra backing from acc was necessary? I’m thinking of not getting it because it’s easier to work with without it.

My plan is to put all the bolts in the holes first and then laying the carpet over and by feel poking the holes with a heat gun.

Too soon to answer... A) I haven't finished wrestling... I mean installing the carpet and B) I haven't yet had a chance to drive the truck and experience the Teslaesque quietness.

Seriously though, yeah - the thicker backing is making it a bit tougher. I'm guessing it'll be worth it. Stay tuned ;)

Do you feel that the extra backing from acc was necessary? I’m thinking of not getting it because it’s easier to work with without it.

My plan is to put all the bolts in the holes first and then laying the carpet over and by feel poking the holes with a heat gun.

My truck has the ACC Carpet kit in it with DynaMat & the extra padding and it is really quiet.

I LOVE the wheels on this truck....the whole build. Just great.

Wheels remind me of some of the stuff around my shop :)
20190503_190349_1.jpg

Is that a '69?

Nice 40. Nice to see the stock steelies on there.

Wipers on the bottom....hmmmm

Windshield slope, cowl shape and lack of hinge are other ques.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom