Too much rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a truck I went to go see recently. 244k, WA and OR truck all its life. Seems pretty manageable, but maybe even a little rust is too much on the west coast...

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

Yeah, I was brought up in the midwest, snow belt, and I've seen frames rusted through. But I live in a salt free part of the world now, so I expect more, and I'd like this vehicle to last me 10 years or so, and be able to work on easily.

If the price is right and you are going to clean it up and stop its spread, I think it looks ok. And I am the first guy to tell someone to run from rust.

This is what a 2019 Land Cruiser would look like after maybe 3 months of its first winter in Chicago. I was at my brothers Lexus dealer a few weeks back undercoating his brand new 2020 GX460, just as we were getting finished up, one of the techs pulled in a 2015 LX570 with 50k miles, local Wisconsin vehicle. While far from a rust bucket, it had MUCH more rust than the vehicle you posted.

Looks pretty decent for an OR/WA truck depending on the area. Stuff on the diff is pretty much just surface rust, actually most of it looks to be surface rust. I would take a wire brush too it to scrape the scale off then I would go at it with some POR15, Chassis Saver or something like that to help neutralize and kill it and then paint over.

Where I live, that amount of rust is found on new cars just from being close to the other cars. You're fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom