Builds Hammersaurus Lex - The LX470 gets tons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still using the VGRS steering shaft? Don't know if i would feel confident that it wouldn't unlock under the potentially higher forces you might be seeing. You can swap out your VGRS with a standard LC upper and lower shaft, the only difference being a slight larger hole in the firewall than what will be needed for the LC parts. Might give you better piece of mind knowing there was a solid connection between the steering wheel and steering box.

Agreed and good call. Definitely on the backlog. Have you done it before? Do I just need the intermediate shaft? 45220-60110?

Agreed and good call. Definitely on the backlog. Have you done it before? Do I just need the intermediate shaft? 45220-60110?

No, you will need the upper and lower shafts. I did this to my 05 a few years ago. The two shafts are different lengths for the two different systems. VGRS is short upper and longer lower if I remember correctly.

Edit: The parts sites show the intermediate shaft and all of the pieces (inside the box) that connect it to the main steering shaft from the wheel. Mine only came with just the intermediate shaft. Had to order the short shaft that connects the rag joint to the intermediate shaft from Japan, couldn't find one anywhere.

Screenshot from 2019-12-01 23-06-27.png

Last edited:
No, you will need the upper and lower shafts. I did this to my 05 a few years ago. The two shafts are different lengths for the two different systems. VGRS is short upper and longer lower if I remember correctly.

Edit: The parts sites show the intermediate shaft and all of the pieces (inside the box) that connect it to the main steering shaft from the wheel. Mine only came with just the intermediate shaft. Had to order the short shaft that connects the rag joint to the intermediate shaft from Japan, couldn't find one anywhere.

View attachment 2147290
Right now I am connecting to the splined section right on the engine side of the firewall with my new shaft for my steering box. I'm not sure I understand the terminology here, is the 'lower' shaft the part inside the engine bay?

Sorry, I figured I didn't explain the swap well. On the vgrs lx, the vgrs unit incorporates the rag joint on top and attacheds to the bottom of the main shaft. The splined end of the vgrs unit sticks out of the engine side of the firewall. That attaches to the intermediate shaft that turns the steering box. On the non-vgrs trucks the piece (stub shaft) that connects the rag joint to the intermediate shaft is shorter, doesn't stick out of the firewall as much as the vgrs so the intermediate shaft has to be longer. In the LC part diagram I posted, in box #9, you can see the short shaft that the vgrs trucks don't have. I guess when they added vgrs it was cheaper to create a second intermediate shaft than design the vgrs the same length as the LC shaft.

So does the VGRS shaft stick out farther from the firewall than the "solid" shaft? Do you have a picture of your steering shaft at the firewall? (either @Grego or @nukegoat )

Here's the best one I can find of mine. I have the support bearing in place as well as the first U joint, so it probably sticks out 1.5" from the protrusion on the firewall.

bump

3ipx9f.jpg

Did you figure out why your steering reservoir was dumping?

Did you figure out why your steering reservoir was dumping?
Nope. No idea. I ordered a Freightliner steering reservoir with a built in filter. I will probably swap steering boxes too, to see if the one I rebuilt has problems.

New reservoir: Dorman 603-5106 Power Steering Reservoir Amazon product ASIN B01MQGZS27

Today probably screwing around with a front bumper setup or maybe skid plate stuff. Only have a few hours so we will see what I can get done.

I'm guessing 2020 is the real wheeling season for this pile. Marshmallow has some issues I need to take care of too... I keep tearing up AT coolers... I think my core support is all wiggley

That’s gonna look amazing. Mad skills.
Thanks but I honestly doubt it will look correct. I'm sort of struggling to figure out how to keep the overall result low profile. Usually I can't visualize it right and it ends up being functional but kinda lame looking.

Looks like you’re on the right track
0FFDC278-BAE7-456B-AB70-EDA40C59D9DA.jpeg

A little adjustment here and there and should work out just fine.

Still need to finish the bumper but got the front sway bar installed. Rate is probably too stiff (15/16 bar, marshmallows is 13/16)
iFqGKWb.jpg

QhCRd9R.jpg

Swapped steering boxes as well. No change. Steering is still all heavy and terrible. Since the pump was whining still and pukes fluid out the reservoir I figured maybe the reservoir is starving the pump so....
Replaced the reservoir with one off an international semi truck. It holds two quarts and has a spin on filter:
jFdNcfK.jpg

That didn't help.

At this point I'm thinking the pump is bad. I took the hydro assist off just to see... The steering is weak compared to what id expect. So unless the plumbing has problems (lines too long? Is that possible?) I think my next job is to swap the pump and create another Exxon Valdez in my garage

Did you put hydroboost in this yet? You didn’t plumb the cooler in the hydroboost circuit did you?

Took apart the pump. I don't know what I'm looking at but it seems fine. I'll clean it up and reseal it. Wondering if the flow control valve is leaky or wrong. Kinda doubt it. Was thinking of drilling out the orifice a little bit for the heck of it...

H4yUmBu.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom