Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bought an ecm and wiring harness for a TBI conversion.

Got crop dusted a few times. We didn't see any signs until we were leaving the area.

IMG_20191110_094111742_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191110_094116871_HDR.jpg

I got my tub back from the media blaster... I flippin hate bedliner! I'll be putting in some elbow grease to get the rest of this out. I am tempted to haul it up to Oregon to have the dang thing acid dipped...

IMG_20191118_153235.jpg

IMG_20191119_095200.jpg

IMG_20191119_095151.jpg

On the upside, my welding work doesn't look too bad for the first attempt. there's a few rough spots I'll need to sort before laying down primer.

IMG_20191119_095222.jpg

I also ordered my transmission mounts and hardware and dropped off some more stuff for powder. I hope to have the drive train mounted on the frame over the next few weekends.

What a pain with the bedliner. That stuff always seems great until you need to remove it. I would have thought the blasting would have taken care of that. So onto the grinder and stripper? The stuff on mine was so cheap that it doesn't stick. I can just peel it off when I want. Maybe that was a good thing.

Too bad man but at least your progressing. Two steps forward and a 1/2 step back.

What a pain with the bedliner. That stuff always seems great until you need to remove it. I would have thought the blasting would have taken care of that. So onto the grinder and stripper? The stuff on mine was so cheap that it doesn't stick. I can just peel it off when I want. Maybe that was a good thing. Too bad man but at least your progressing. Two steps forward and a 1/2 step back.

Yeah I will probably have a stripper party... not nearly as fun as it might sounds! ;) Four people and some needle scalers, flapper discs, and wire wheels will make quick work of it I think.

For now all my attention will be on assembling the rolling chassis. I'll revisit the tub in the spring since shooting primer and paint in the cold isn't ideal.

try dry ice on the beadliner, works great on undercoating...

I managed to get my motor mounted up today. I got so excited that I almost mounted my transmission without a clutch assembly! I'll be mounting up the springs and axle assemblies soonish.

IMG_20191124_145629.jpg

I'm hoping to have a rolling chassis on all fours before Christmas.

How'd things go with Julian @lelandEOD? My powder coating place decided they don't want to deal with vehicle stuff anymore, so I would love to start using Julian if things work out for you with him.

He's good! I stopped by and chatted with him for a while. He's playing catch up on some really big orders so he asked that I give him until mid-December to drop off my stuff. Your frame is looking great!

Good to know! I'm glad he's back at it. I'll hold off until Jan, then start taking stuff to him. It is just small batches at this point. What I really need is a sand blaster to clean and strip small parts and hardware.

Wow some really nice work you got going on Tony. That's exciting that the motor is in. I agree. Is there any way you can squeeze the tub in the garage away from the elements for the winter? Things are looking great though, keep it up.

Thanks. It is tarped on the trailer right now. I couldn't get it into my garage before the snow started. I'll pull it into the garage on Sunday before I leave for Detroit on Monday.

I am probably going to get it acid dipped to do away with any flash rust and a second attempt to get rid of that flippin bedliner. If it doesn't come off, I am going to spray 4 mils of lizardskin over it and call it a day.

MEK is great stuff to remove bedliner (what we used for overspray when I worked at a truck accessories shop) but that stuff IS NOT to be messed with, need full rubber gloves and respirator if you are going to use and have in well ventilated area. But it will make quick work of the bedliner... just wipe on and it will start to soften the bedliner to the point where you should be able to easily scrape up with a putty knife.

When we did truck beds, we would wipe on the overspray with a rag, give it a few and then wipe everything off with the clean rag.

but that stuff IS NOT to be messed with, need full rubber gloves and respirator if you are going to use and have in well ventilated area.

"MEK is a natural component of many foods, including apple juice, beans, chicken, honey and a variety of cheeses. Synonyms for MEK are 2-butanone, ethyl methyl ketone, and methyl acetone."

Scary that we eat the stuff! Low doses in natural foods though, so not really dangerous I suppose.

Thanks for the tip Greg! :)

I got my first batch of yellow zinc'd hardware and components back from Apex Anodizing and should get my ubolt brackets and shackles back from the powder coater by Friday.

It is hard to see the yellow zinc on some of this, but here's some pics.

IMG_20191231_142709.jpg

IMG_20191231_143949.jpg

These are the custom shackles my buddy cut on his plasma table. he made the ubolt brackets, but I decided to go with a flip kit from 4Plus. Anyone want some BEEFY ubolt plates?

IMG_20191214_175815.jpg

I am planning on assembling the rolling chassis and drive train on Sat Jan 18, all are welcome if you wanna come help or just hang out. Food and drink shall be provided and young ones are welcome. I have a super friendly husky for them to play with and a TV and my wife who LOVES little kids now that ours are gross teenages and not very lovable. ;)

Lemme know if you want to come over so I can get a headcount. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! 🎉🥳👯‍♂️

Last edited:
Good idea on the anodized stuff. Should make it rust free. I did the same but used another method. It is called oildized.;)

Lol. Oildzing works!

They do anodizing and zinc coating. I am doing yellow zinc on all my hardware and some other components. I like the look, it is resistant to corrosion, and is way cheaper than gold cadmium which was first thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom