‘79-‘83 parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m swapping my 1st gen 4Runner for a 1980 pickup with my son. He bought the truck from a forum member and he’s been too busy to do anything with it other than drive it and a little maintenance.

I plan to clean it up and paint it and use it as a backup more mild wheeler and occasional daily driver. I know, patina, but on the East coast, that Southwest scorch will turn to rust.

I would love a source for the driver rear fender flair and a dash pad. Any sources? I couldn’t find anything with google. Thank you, this is the truck.

B1DAD8C7-7A4A-4781-8F88-DB91EE0E246B.jpeg

03FB2878-1DAC-4DDB-9EAF-6B827B4D9A8E.jpeg

315B1F5C-9D8C-4E63-8D64-BB8A2B7B6C00.jpeg

31A727B2-A38A-42CC-89B5-DEFA542914C8.jpeg

Best bet is the wrecking yards, but that's a crap shoot for the age. Try on Marlin's forum, more pick-ups there. Or pirate. Good luck.

That's a long bed that's been shortened. Come out of AZ?

Those old trucks are getting rare in the boneyards. There just are not enough of them left to pick from. Even Gen2 and Gen3 trucks (1984-1995), along with Gen1 and Gen2 4Runners (1984-1995) are getting uncommon. I'm always shocked when one does show up in my local yard … and usually try to head over that morning when I get the notification.

@yotadude520

look familiar??

Damn that thing is great. I wanted to buy it back when it was for sale on here, but I didn’t realize your son bought it! I love that truck. If you decide you don’t want it PLEASE let me know.

Hey man, small world. Yotadude520 said the same thing, I pm’ed him for some info. It’s a cool little truck.

Best bet is the wrecking yards, but that's a crap shoot for the age. Try on Marlin's forum, more pick-ups there. Or pirate. Good luck.

That's a long bed that's been shortened. Come out of AZ?

Yes, it did. There aren’t any in the yards around here...

If the dash pad is still intact, you can buy a hard plastic dash cover that gets installed over the exisiting pad. I think Coverlay is the manufacturer and you can find it on a few different stores online.

My 1980 came with one installed when I bought the truck. Haven't had the guts to see whats underneath.

@yotadude520

look familiar??

Damn that thing is great. I wanted to buy it back when it was for sale on here, but I didn’t realize your son bought it! I love that truck. If you decide you don’t want it PLEASE let me know.

Yup, that's my old rig! That truck was awesome! Always started and wheeled great.

I always loved the patina, but it doesn't look like she's enjoying the weather over there as the surface rust seems to be getting worse. Are you going to paint it the OG color? I'd slap some cheapie front fenders on it so it as the front ones aren't salvageable

As for the dash pad, I'd just get one of these for the time being and glue it onto the original one. The OG is definitely not repairable with the big hole in the passenger side.

This is the only color I could find with the side vents. I'd get yourself a can of vinyl paint and some adhesive promoter and paint it before you stick it on. Keep a lookout on eBay for an original one - they do pop up from time to time but cost a small fortune.

Look forward to seeing what you do to it and take care of the ol' gal!

I plan to clean it up and paint it and use it as a backup more mild wheeler and occasional daily driver. I know, patina, but on the East coast, that Southwest scorch will turn to rust.

I think the patina ship has sailed on this one. Don’t feel bad about painting it given the current condition. Once “people” (you know who you are!) have hacked beds/frame etc the whole keep it original thing is done. Just make it yours and enjoy it!

Maybe try not to bedliner the body though? :flipoff2:

Nope, definitely not going to bed liner anything. Like yotadude520 suggested, I’m going to get some fenders, and paint it the original color. I had an ‘81 the same color from ‘83-‘88. The dash pad is actually available from Toyota, I’ll probably bite the bullet for that. Otherwise, just clean it up a little and drive it.

This is my first Toyota on my honeymoon in 1985.
D8AE6384-0D95-4B10-8F0F-2C3368C48A2C.jpeg

So there are 10 dash pads left in Toyota’s parts system for my truck. But they’re all blue. Oh well, I’ll try the cheap cover.

So there are 10 dash pads left in Toyota’s parts system for my truck. But they’re all blue. Oh well, I’ll try the cheap cover.
If you can get a dash pad for your truck I would get it. I don't care if it's purple. They make special paint for vinyl/plastic.

If you can get a dash pad for your truck I would get it. I don't care if it's purple. They make special paint for vinyl/plastic.
Hmmm. Do you think I can cover up blue to tan? Might be worth it.

Hmmm. Do you think I can cover up blue to tan? Might be worth it.
I look at it this way. Parts for these trucks are very rare, especially interior parts. I would get anything you can, now, while you can.

Some of those spray-on vinyl re-coloring agents work pretty well. How expensive is the blue dash?

I can get it for $230

I can get it for $230
Buy it!! You can paint any color anything with the right amount of prep & adhesion promoter

Just a thought.
I repaired my dash cap by using liquid nails and tweed. I l already had the liquid nails in the garage and have about $20 worth of tweed material.

my dash wash so bad and crusty that I could not even pull of the dash.
I poured liquid nails over all the bad parts and just caked it on. I spread it out somewhat evenly and left it to dry for a week. It looked horrible. When dry / hardened I was able to take the dash pad out. I simply used a grinder with a flap disk to take the extra liquid nails off. Once it was somewhat level and smooth I sprayed contact cement on it and later the material over it.
you can use any bonding agent instead of liquid nails like bondo or even better bondo with fiberglass in it,liquid nails is just what I had in the garage at the time. I used gray tweed because I like the look but u can use vinyl or any material you want and any color you want.
here are some bad pictures I took when I did it
5E36134A-288E-4C54-B724-45138E562E7A.jpeg
1418CCF6-F612-49F7-95A4-B30FB08B0A30.jpeg
AAA0DE1C-6127-4C82-ACE6-D13060D5C3CC.jpeg
2C9BE938-96A5-43C0-AF1D-BA5EF287A802.jpeg

Wow, that is a unique and cheap solution. Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom