Fuel Carb Full (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where I come from wee condoms aren’t generally found in fuel. As a newer supplier that many of us have bought from, including myself, how bout a simply apology and acknowledge that your stuff has its flaws as well. Nothing is perfect. That crap looked exactly like the a vacuum like cling that should have been peeled off and was missed. The many who have bought your desmog carb rav about them, they are magic to our old beasts.
I think you're onto something here. Looking at the image of the needle valve ...seems to have some that vacuum cling on it that may have sloughed off when exposed to gasoline. Danny can you verify that by looking at the needle? @Racer65 May be interested in this and should consider pulling a new carb apart to check this.

My Guess would be residue or over-flash from this, then emulsifies when hit with gasoline:

CarbCover.png

The stuff on the needle was a plastic like and long down the needle. I scraped it off with my finger nail. The stuff in the bottom seemed melted. Kinda silicone like. It appeared to puddle around the exit hole and formed around the plastic on the needle tip.

@dannyvp @Spike Strip @g-man You guys have got it. The material is key. Since I can't touch it, I had to ask.

Silicone is used in the threads of the needle valve and fuel inlet. There was a previous remark from a shop that they found excessive silicone in the fuel inlet threads. The carb ran fine after cleaning up the silicone, but we reported the case to Fuji. They took it very seriously. There were a couple of months when we didn't have any stock because they wouldn't release the new production run to us until they completed an inspection.

@NeverGiveUpYota I try to incorporate industry best practices in terms of documenting, investigating, tracking incidents, following up with manufacturers and contributing to TSBs. I really don't just sell stuff :). No one (including Mr. T) can claim their stuff is flawless. Toyota maintains a significant TSB database as a tool for continuous improvement. I routinely encourage my customers to post their questions, experiences, and issues out here in the open forums, because the collective knowledge of the community is a powerful tool for continuous improvement.

Last edited:
I readjusted my carb float after removing the trash. Put on a new gasket for the air horn and reinstalled the carb.
The fuel mix screw is turned out 2 turns, the idle speed screw was 2 turns from touching.
My fuel pump is pumping, however I have no fuel in the site glass after trying to start.
I pulled the choke, no clutch and pressed the gas several times while cranking the engine. (To the point I killed the battery)

what should I do now?

If you're sure the pump is working (you've put the fuel pipe end into a glass jar and verify healthy pump) then the issue is still something with the needle/seat. May be crap blocking or stuck in the brass seat?

You should have a new needle and seat in the carb kit. Use that. It just unscrews with a broad, flat screwdriver. Watch Pin head's vids on youtube if you want to see it done, first.

If you're sure the pump is working (you've put the fuel pipe end into a glass jar and verify healthy pump) then the issue is still something with the needle/seat. May be crap blocking or stuck in the brass seat?

You should have a new needle and seat in the carb kit. Use that. It just unscrews with a broad, flat screwdriver. Watch Pin head's vids on youtube if you want to see it done, first.

Yea I double checked that. Unless something is under it somehow. I could see the hole in the seat.

If you have compressed air blow into the seat and see if anything comes out the inlet

Well I tried one more time for the night.
fuel is pumping out with the pressing of the pedal.
after several minutes of priming or trying to start when I opened the cleaning ports, fuel drizzled out.

Finally got the carb seat out, it was sealed with the same material. The screen is ruined and the seat ruined now. A screen did not come in the rebuild kit i bought, is there a different kit with a screen?

I'll be posting pics and an good update later.

so far.... I tried to prime the carb to the point I killed my battery. After making sure I was getting fuel by priming into a jar I took the carb off again.
The float and needle seemed fine so I looked in the seat, it appeared to have something under it.
I tried to remove it and it was STUCK.
I made a screw driver to fit the slot, and still could not get it out.
Sprayed it with PB and let it set for 5 minutes. Still stuck.
Sprayed with PB and let it set for 15 min. Still stuck.
Applied lite heat with hair dryer, still stuck.
Applied lite heat with a heat gun. Came loose.
The seat had material seemed on the threads and around the bottom of it.
The screen came out in 2 pieces. It was covered in material, melted in 90% of it.

05ECDDA8-321D-4763-B4DA-E1E888AB6968.jpeg

9E98B6D3-445A-4CB0-B458-F8F7B95143C2.jpeg

6E857CAA-0045-4391-9F75-B8C9156292F4.jpeg

8850743F-83C2-4F9D-BD4E-C64F1BA1A75D.jpeg

Most aftermarket kits do not have that screen on the inlet side of the needle/seat. The only brand I know that does is Napco, but they're only available on ebay from SE Asia, like Thailand, etc... No Domestic source that I know of (product for @Racer65 ?)
Also, kinda spendy with shipping. Do you need it? Dunno. It's another barrier to keep schmutz out of your carb, but plenty run without it ... Just make sure your fuel filter is good quality.

1577214747928.png

Last edited:
Make sure that whole fuel inlet is clear. Good idea with the heat gun and flush well with Carb Cleaner and compressed air. Install new needle seat and float. Turn Air Horn upside down. Put a length of hose (or your lips :rolleyes:) over the threaded inlet and raise the float by hand and blow. Does air flow freely? Let the float fall and blow again. Does this stop the flow? If yes and yes, you're good.

I’ve had a number of screens from lawn mowers in my hand that aren’t much different other than the color of the material.

Most aftermarket kits do not have that screen on the inlet side of the needle/seat. The only brand I know that does is Napco, but they're only available on ebay from SE Asia, like Thailand, etc... No Domestic source that I know of (product for @Racer65 ?)
Also, kinda spendy with shipping. Do you need it? Dunno. It's another barrier to keep schmutz out of your carb, but plenty run without it ... Just make sure your fuel filter is good quality.

View attachment 2165054
I kinda feel like the Walker kit from O’Riellys has the screen. I have a photo of what came in it but it would take some searching.

I think you’re getting a bit too deep into it. I can only reasonably expect that you check the float and needle for obstruction. Unless I see a different status posted by late afternoon, I’ll ship out a new carb to you before UPS closes for the day.

man that’s awesome. Thankyou. I’ll pack this one back up and bag up the materials I found in it and ship it back to you for your investigations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom