Builds 60 guy does a 100 series LC... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
MUD meet Alita... Alita meet the MUD community
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

So after selling my beloved FJ60 BeBe a few weeks ago, the hunt started for a good 100 series (LC or LX) and while there were a few that I looked at and liked, nothing really struck my fancy. I had a few requirements... No-Nav, Lowish Miles, good service history, little to no rust and that was really about it. There were certain things that I really didn't want but if the right one popped up then I would probably go for it.

I checked out a few but nothing was really quite right. Then one day I was digging in some of the older posts in the MUD classifieds and I came across this one being sold (kinda) by @HundyLV702. Low miles (191k), good service history, lots of stuff taken care of, plus it had a lift, new tires and sliders already on it. To boot, she was an NV car that really had only ever seen CO for a little while then was in TX and AZ before moving to NV. So rust was non-existent, which was a relief after what I had to deal with on BeBe.

So after a few conversations we struck a deal and Friday, 12/20, I flew down to Vegas to pick her up and drive her the 7hrs home to Carson City. The morning prior when I text him to let him know I had checked into the flight, he text me back and said "She won't start!" I was like *(&%# I have already checked in, flight can be moved but not refunded, crap now what to do. He talked to his normal mechanic and diagnosed the symptoms as possibly the starter over the phone but wouldn't be able to get to it until after the holiday. Later that afternoon he went out and she fired right up, no issues. Ok so after some more discussion I decided I was going to take the risk as from my research on here it seemed like the starter brushes were the issue and was a known problem/pain point with most 100s.

I flew down to Vegas on Friday morning, Chris picked me up at the airport in her and we took her for a drive. After a little while we hit the bank, filled out the paperwork and off I went. I decided to take the risk as I knew that this would be one of those trucks that if I passed on her I would kick myself later. She did the 400+ mile trip home without skipping a beat. Filled up in Vegas right by Chris' office and by the time I hit Tonopah I still had 1/3 a tank left. I wasn't sure what mileage on the road would be like so I decided to fill up there and made it the remaining 200 miles home from Tonopah to Carson City by 8:15pm that night (having left Vegas at 1:30ish) with still a half tank of gas and that was with the cruise control set at just under 10 over the speed limit (except those areas where I know the NHP sits to catch speeders).

Anyways, now the fun begins... Going to the DMV in the AM to get her registered and then it will be baselining all her fluids and everything while I try to diagnose the no start issue. She did it to me once yesterday where she wouldn't start for a few moments (just power then click and nothing) and then again once this morning. Other than that, I have not found any issues to speak of other than a missing fuse for the power mirror. I will take more pictures of her tomorrow. But welcome to the pack Alita.

Going through her I did find a couple small issues...
1. "D" on the tree does not light up. Every other gear does though. Is this something that can easily be replaced?
2. Antenna for radio was busted. Chris provided a replacement mast and was wondering how you access? It kinda looks like there is an inner fender piece that can be removed to access it but wasn't 100% on that.
3. The little blank for the AHC controls usually are is missing. Already in contact with @BenCC about getting a replacement one with an opening for a USB connection that I will then tie to the stereo when I replace the headunit.
4. Drivers side belt clip has turned, but can't for the life of me see how it did that seeing as the slot the belt goes through is SERIOUSLY tight. And it is a bit slow on the return. Is this something easy to access and clean the return feature?
5. Passenger door lock will only turn to the right, not the left? Any ideas (Chris did warn me of this) on how to remedy? Or just time for a new cylinder?

Going through her I did find a couple small issues...
1. "D" on the tree does not light up. Every other gear does though. Is this something that can easily be replaced?
2. Antenna for radio was busted. Chris provided a replacement mast and was wondering how you access? It kinda looks like there is an inner fender piece that can be removed to access it but wasn't 100% on that.
3. The little blank for the AHC controls usually are is missing. Already in contact with @BenCC about getting a replacement one with an opening for a USB connection that I will then tie to the stereo when I replace the headunit.
4. Drivers side belt clip has turned, but can't for the life of me see how it did that seeing as the slot the belt goes through is SERIOUSLY tight. And it is a bit slow on the return. Is this something easy to access and clean the return feature?
5. Passenger door lock will only turn to the right, not the left? Any ideas (Chris did warn me of this) on how to remedy? Or just time for a new cylinder?

Yeah the "D" bulb is a common thing, I actually like it... I think it'd be annoying to have a green light on in the cluster all the time, obviously I know I'm in drive.

Congrats on the pick up.

1. Don't sweat the "D" It was annoying when it was functional.

2. Replace mast from topside.

The "D" light bulb is a $2 part. But you have to pull the guage cluster to replace it. It's not hard but a lot more effort than the "D" alone deserves.
Wait til "P" goes and then do it.

There is a plastic fender skirt that you pull back to access the antenna motor from below. You will definitely break the plastic clips that attach it to the body but luckily they are also cheap. Order 10 or so if you have to pull the skirt.

Ok thanks everyone. I guess I won’t worry about the “D” light being out seeing as all the other work.

As for the antenna seeing as I have the mast with the little cable, so I install that from the top? Anyone have a video or better yet a link to the FSMs??

Nice—followed your 60 when I had one, now I can follow this as well.

FSMs: FSM. Mixed bag of PDFs, mostly belonging to the 2004 MY, but should get you there for almost everything.

And the pocket for that empty space:
Pocket1.jpg

But @BenCC's stuff will be way more interesting. Use one of his panels for a switch/switches, and replace the cigarette lighter with one of the USB things from Amazon.

Like this (remove the bracket, and it replaces the socket entirely): Amazon product ASIN B00GPE9NZI

Lots of info in teh FAQ

Lots of info in teh FAQ

Opps I missed that one somehow. Thanks for finding for me. I had gone through the FAQs because some of the other trucks had some other common issues.

Next time it doesn't start, put her in N and see if it starts without issue. My neutral safety switch went out 2 years ago, and this was the key to figuring it out. I initially though starter but I have a Toyota reman in there that is only 20K old.

Ok @DFXR I will try that. As far as I can tell from a quick look over of the records it is the original starter, so now has 192k on it.

In other news, she is now registered and titled in my name. No longer putting around town illegally. Of course got to wait 2-4wks for the plates and title can take upwards of 8wks.

Once the holidays are over and the wallet has stopped smoking for everything, I will start putting some more time into her.
First order of "FUN" business will be replacing the door speakers with something nicer.
Then, shortly after that will be replacing the headunit. Already decided that I am going to do another Joying unit as I really liked my last one and their support was always great about getting back to me (even with a slight language barrier). Will end up doing one of their 8" Double-din models and add on the Toyota universal wiring harness adapter and then the rear view camera for it. With the sale they have going on right now, I should be out the door for less than $500 after shipping.

@DFXR So I tried your trick and no dice, same thing. This has literally happened to me now just about every other time I go out to start the truck. However, usually a couple turns of the key yields the truck turning over so I am ok with it at this point. Will be scheduling with a local shop in the next couple weeks to get this handled, should only be a day job for them at most.

Last night we went up to meet family for dinner in Reno and since the truck was officially registered the wife and I took her up. The wife was really impressed with how smooth she drove and how cozy she was even with the lift and E rated tires. While we were driving I did notice a vibration in the steering wheel that develops around 60mph up to 75mph under load. Since I know for a fact that I have the diff clunk issue, I am assuming that is part of it but wondering where else to look. Below is a copy of the receipt that was provided for the lift installation however I still do not know how tall she is. Tires are 285/75r16 load E tires. From what I can tell there was no diff drop installed however the invoice for the lift says "check CV angles" but I don't really have much faith in 4WheelParts as the local one has never impressed me in the past when I have talked to any of their sales staff or techs about Toyota stuff, Jeeps they live and breath by.

Can anyone tell what kit this is? Looking on the 4WheelParts website they do not even list a kit for the Land Cruiser as something they do. Based on my own research and cross referencing part numbers it looks like the 1.5" Medium load kit (maybe light front/medium rear).

So once the starter is taken care of I am going to go through the suspension up front to see what all is going on. Probably will grab a Slee diff drop bracket seeing as Jason is still out of his (I know he said he was stocking up for the new year already). Need a good long weekend where I don't have anything going on to throw her up on the jack stands in the garage and start poking around. Probably do a baseline at the same time.

Last edited:
Another question that came up from last nights drive was that the butt warmer on the passenger seat apparently only works in the LO setting. However, my wife said that it got quite warm when on LO, but the HI setting did nothing. Both modes indicator lights work appropriately so would this be something that is an issue with the butt warmer itself or ???? Thinking it is probably butt warmer itself having issues but wouldn't know where to start seeing as it DOES function.

Merry Christmas everyone! Been a bit of a bummer one for me as I have been down since yesterday morning with nasty sinus juju.

Anyways, today between bouts of cold medicine I have gotten the chance to go through the service records I got. Looks like the starter was replace back in mid 2012 at a Toyota dealership in Flagstaff after customer reported same issue I am having.

Does it seem odd that the reman’d starter only lasted about 40k miles??

Truck looks great!

What lift and tires came with it?

Merry Christmas everyone! Been a bit of a bummer one for me as I have been down since yesterday morning with nasty sinus juju.

Anyways, today between bouts of cold medicine I have gotten the chance to go through the service records I got. Looks like the starter was replace back in mid 2012 at a Toyota dealership in Flagstaff after customer reported same issue I am having.

Does it seem odd that the reman’d starter only lasted about 40k miles??
Did they replace the brushes or the entire starter? My brushes were replaced around 100k and then the starter at 190k. It could go out in 40k miles since that was 7 years ago and maybe the prior owner did a bunch of short trips so the number of starts could be high for the mileage. If you make a fist and hit the dash above the "D" on the tree the bulb may come on. Sometimes this works.

Truck looks great!

What lift and tires came with it?
Still trying to figure out lift but believe it is a 1.5” Medium. Tires are Falken AT3W 285/75r16.

Did they replace the brushes or the entire starter? My brushes were replaced around 100k and then the starter at 190k. It could go out in 40k miles since that was 7 years ago and maybe the prior owner did a bunch of short trips so the number of starts could be high for the mileage. If you make a fist and hit the dash above the "D" on the tree the bulb may come on. Sometimes this works.
Looks like the entire unit was replaced as it calls out a reman’d starter but no indication of whether it was a Denso or not. Seems odd that it would go out with that few of miles.

EDIT: Just pulled that service record and does show a Toyota Reman'd unit was installed, P/N 28100-50070-84, which pulling shows a toyota rebuilt unit. Service history date is September 2012. Sucks if the reman'd units only last that long as pulling that number they cost about $200, seems I can get a Denso one (should be OE unit) for about $70 cheaper through RockAuto ($130ish without core and only $95 with core).

Last edited:
Alright.. so next question.
Looks like the bushings for the UCAs are donesky.... I am not sure exactly what this part is called so is it something that can be replaced on its own are do I need new UCAs? Both sides looks like this so I am assuming this is probably from the lift?

Also, I noticed that when I am sitting at a light that I have a slight rough idle. Nothing bad but enough that I notice it, along with that rough idle is the low oil pressure (see pic). Is this normal? During normal driving the oil pressure is rock steady in the middle, no other indications of oddities. Ran my new BlueDriver scan tool and got no codes back at all. So curious as to whether this is something to be concerned about or not.

IIRC, this is my first post helping someone out (I'm new to the 100 myself).

The top photo shows a torn upper ball joint boot. The boots are available from Toyota and good {Sankei - Japanese} ball joints complete with boots are available from a couple of forum vendors and elsewhere.

AFAIK dealers will only replace complete control arms and not just ball joints.

I am about to do my upper ball joint boots with some cheap+fast Febest boots from Amazon as no dealer could get me boots soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom