2006 gx470 with damaged 2uz-fe: will a 2006 Sequoia 2uz-fe fit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a bad 2uz-fe in my 2006 gx470. Timing belt snapped and bent some valves & punched a hole into the top of 1 of the pistons-If I find the pics I’ll upload them later.

Question:
Will a 2006 2uz-fe from a 4x4 Toyota Sequoia fit into my 2006 gx470.

I’ll be pulling the engine out of the gx470 soon.

It should work, the block and the heads should be the same- I would make sure that they both match the same emissions California/ Federal... both have VVT...

Another 2UZ-FE variation adds VVT-i and electronic throttle control.

Applications (calendar years):[7]

How did the belt break? how many miles? was it never done? bad parts? very curious.......

I have a bad 2uz-fe in my 2006 gx470. Timing belt snapped and bent some valves & punched a hole into the top of 1 of the pistons-If I find the pics I’ll upload them later.

Question:

I’ll be pulling

Question:

I’ll be pulling the engine out of the gx470 soon.

They should be interchangeable. I recently swapped a 2uz-fe from a Tundra to a Landcruiser and didn’t encounter any surprises.
It should work, the block and the heads should be the same- I would make sure that they both match the same emissions California/ Federal... both have VVT...

Another 2UZ-FE variation adds VVT-i and electronic throttle control.

Applications (calendar years):[7]

How did the belt break? how many miles? was it never done? bad parts? very curious.......
I don’t think I have ever heard of a broken belt on these engines. I’m also curious..

I have seen a premature breakage, it wasn't the stock belt, it was the one put in @ 90k miles...broke about 140k miles...but relax, it's a statistical anomaly, not an epidemic.

Neglect was the reason- make sure you follow Toyota’s recommendations on the timing belt changes. The timing belt was replaced at about 171K after it broke. I was told that 1 of the pulleys seized up. The belt was replaced after the break but I believe some of the valves were possibly bent. It took about 3 months to die again & now the 2006 GX has been sitting ever since (2yrs).

I adopted/acquired the vehicle with hopes of swapping in a replacement engine. I will soon start building this GX up as soon as I get the engine to tip-top shape.

I’ll start my 1fzfe after the 2uzfe situation is complete.... maybe I can rebuild the 2uzfe & transplant into the fzj80.

Pictures:
PINTEREST search for “GX470 Misc”
ESQ4x4

AA9DDBEA-EDF0-4DB4-B42E-CAF89DAC4ADF.jpeg

23E75CB4-1471-4C52-A228-3A6FB1D5E28E.jpeg

Last edited:
Is it an astronomical sum to rebuild these motors? I recently did a "factory refresh" for a BMW engine in my Super 7 and it was about $1k. I didn't have to replace any pistons or valves though. I think it would be nice to have a brand new engine knowing that it will go 250k+ with proper care. Sounds like a good winter project to me :)

The reason I ask about rebuild is because a used motor was placed into my truck before I bought it because the PO let it overheat while towing. There was a TB sticker on the top Lexus cover and another on the intake tube under it and I don't know which or if any are accurate.

Any suggestions on what else should be replaced with the timing belt stuff & water pump before swapping? Since the motor is easily accessible.

9D93F106-C024-4245-BEA3-A8785D172D21.jpeg
6E0FEA37-98D5-4A12-B44D-9A209D106B2D.jpeg

cams seal and crank seal, if you see oil around the oil pump, reseal it. That wp been leaking

starter since it is in a weird spot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom