1996 LX450 Drivers front door lock actuator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just lost my front drivers door lock actuator. Managed to cut hole in panel and opened door. Removed panel and figured I would order a replacement. Saw multiple threads on subject. Left unlocked and figured I would not lock it for a week or so. When I went to drive it the next day it locked when I started the motor. I am an idiot. I can’t believe it has strength to lock but not unlock. Any idea who has best price on replacement I see them on amazon but for all doors but the front drivers side door. Also, is there a easy way to to unlock the door from inside now that panel is off. I am tired of jumping across passenger seat to enter the car.
TIA
Tom

Are you aware that there is a manual lock/unlock above the door release? Unlocked position it is shown below with the red indicator. Unless there is something afoul with the linkage you should not have a problem.

door lock.jpg

If the manual lock doesn't work you may be suffering from the semi-common spring breakage that causes the door to stick in the locked position. I ran into this problem on my passenger door and once I got the door open and then removed the lock mechanism it was easy to find the broken spring. I simply bent a loop of the spring up to make a new hook on that end, reconnected the spring and haven't had an issue in the few years since.

Here's a how-to fix with pictures though a new spring was used:

Post #3 in the following thread shows the picture of the broken spring:

Yes, aware of manual unlock. When I switch or hit key fob the unlock button moves but with no real force. If I manually move switch as far back as it will go or move the linkage it will move fwd and backwards. Just not lock or unlock door. I have the panel off. Can not figure out how to disengage the lock to open door. I did it once but was too stupid to figure out how and should have removed fuse that activates door lock when you start the motor.

Got it open and pulled the power lock, window, moonroof fuse so that I could use door while I locate parts without it auto locking. Trying to figure out why I cannot just use key to lock that door. The others all can be locked manually with the key.
Tom

Any idea who has the drivers side front door actuator? All I can find are rear left and right and front right.

Is there any way to deactivate the electric door lock for the passenger door and just use my key to lock and unlock the door? Right now the door will lock if it is hooked up and I start the car, or if I hit the door lock button. What I cannot do is unlock the lock with a key or the remote or switch. Just doesn't make sense. And still looking for a replacement front drivers door actuator.

If I manually move switch as far back as it will go or move the linkage it will move fwd and backwards. Just not lock or unlock door.
What I cannot do is unlock the lock with a key

This tells me you have a linkage problem. There are plastic clips that hold the link rods in place, at this age, they get brittle and fail.
I would look at the clips and the link rods high-lighted below.
1577675204693.png

I love my LX450 and the mud community. I fixed my door lock problem for free. It was indeed the little spring that had broken in the lock mechanism. Twisted a new mount in the spring, reinstalled and all is working.
Happy New Years every body. Thanks again.
Tom

Does anyone know if the little DC motor is the same in the rear door lock actuators? Could I buy a rear door actuator and use the motor out of it in my drivers door?

Good question; the later years are the same. It'd be worth a try, the motors are about $2 each, new.

Good question; the later years are the same. It'd be worth a try, the motors are about $2 each, new.
Can you buy the motor with the correct shaft? I saw a thread where some retrofitted a motor with a shaft, but I'm hoping to avoid that haha

Beats me; I haven't tried (the 80 series that is). Guinea pig, anyone?

The motors are the same front and rear.
You need to solder the gear to the new shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom