Selling 1965 FJ40 "Dirtbag" - Sale Prep Tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I've bought and sold quite a few classic vehicles over the years, but now as I start the effort to sell Dirtbag (sale thread here), I was curious what everyone else does in getting a vehicle prepped for a sale.

My shortlist is:
  • General tune-up – Check condition of battery, plugs, timing, valves, oil change
  • Drive for 100 miles or so within a few weeks of sale attempt – work out any gremlins that arise, or at least indicate in your sales post what to expect in an as-is sale.
  • Wash – my patina cruiser just gets a rinse down, but any other pointers?
My goal is always to pass along any truck that I've had in my possession in the best possible order – and with as few mysteries for the buyer. Anything that I'm missing here?

I love this truck, but I have 2 others that are taking precedent at the moment. Long live old cruisers!!
IMG_1200.jpg

Seth,

If a vehicle doesn’t sell, the price needs to come down!! I have a running driving 81 hj47 Troopy for sale and can’t even get 7k? The market is slowing and especially during the holidays! Glws, great rig, might sell better come summer time!
I absolutely agree! Wasn’t intending for this to be a post about the sale as much as interested in how others approach selling a vehicle — I realized I’ve never asked anyone else.

I’ve always had good experiences with getting the price I want (and think is fair based on a number of factors) on a sale, but sometimes that means that I wait until the right buyer comes along. It’s always best to not be in a hurry to sell.
-Seth

Offer to have inspected by a neutral third party. ;)

I've been doing the collector car hobby longer than I care to recall. There is no clear answer to selling. Of course making it as clean as possible is important but keep in mind, most people have no foresight to see the bigger picture. As an example, I've always purchased the worst house in the best area I could afford and go from there.
A famous designer once stated that 99 percent of the public has no taste, so they must lead by the nose.
As for your 40 (you may want to ditch the term "dirtbag). I see great potential and for the price...even greater. My question to a prospective buyer might be, "for this price, go find one that runs, drives and stops". Then, if they don't understand, there is no hope as they are the 99 percent.

Last edited:
Excessive alcohol might help. I’m always amazed how much more stuff is at resort towns in shops next to bars.

I have noticed folks who frequently sell classics online post walk around, start up, and test drive video's. Sometimes the commentary is a bit long winded. So I'd say, do a few short and to the point video's.

With any of the vehicles I have sold over the years cleanliness has been the key. No matter if they are old rust buckets cleaning the interiors and giving them a good exterior wash and wax puts them ahead of most similar category vehicles up for sale. It always amazes me how many people don't even take the time to clean out the leftover fast food bags from their center console prior to taking pictures or having someone take a look at their vehicle. Big time turnoff for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom