Flashing Center Diff Lock Light 200 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

...Unless there's a switch or sensor in the transfer case that I'm not aware of, it has to be associated with the microswitch, or the solder joints shown in the video above...
I’m not sure if the micro switch is the only sensor, but I generally agree there has to be a finite number of possibilities. For instance there’s a neutral position sensor on the transmission which will prevent the ECU from allowing you to go into 4Lo. But it could also be a bad solder joint on the ECU - or even a bug in the ECU firmware itself. FWIW I don’t think it’s actually a fluid or grease-hardening issue because the failure is nearly instantaneous on startup and it’s not because I’m pushing the CDL button - though I sometimes can recreate it when cold if I push the button.

Not to muddy the waters here but when the CDL light and 4LO lights are flashing, do you also get a check engine light? I only mention it because when my AIP system failed, it did exactly that even though it had nothing to do with 4lo. Could it be an unrelated issue? Are there any OBDII codes? Anyone have access to a techstream to see if it can pinpoint the failure mode?

On mine, I did NOT get the check engine light, and therefore no codes. In fact, when I took it to the dealer and it was still flashing they verified that no codes were coming up. Of course, they then turned the engine off and everything reset, so after a week I got... "could not be duplicated". I about lost it right then and there.

Interesting. How often are you guys exercising the CDL and 4LO. In my other Toyota trucks, it said to regularly use 4WD (I know the LC is different, but same concept) for about 10 miles per month. Thinking that people should put it in 4lo once a month or so to keep things loose and moving.

Good idea, running low ratio regularly - the principal applies to all features I think.
So I run windows and selectable 4wd options (mud, sand, rocks etc) for a little each week.
I am lucky enough to have a short bush track near my place, so it is just a 20min run to do the whole deal
The centre diff lock light is a common intermittent occurrence on the LC200's given they use electrics to switch between driving modes
When mine does it, it does not interfere with any normal use except I cannot engage the cruise control.
This tells me it 'thinks' it is in 4Lo.
The work around I have picked up elsewhere - and it works every time for me - is as follows...
- drive car normally to exceed 40kmh (the nominal 4Lo speed limit)
- stop the car somewhere flat , move shifter to N and turn off without your foot on the brake.
- give it a slow count of 10 and move the shifter to P and give it another slow count to 10
- move shifter back to N and start the car
At this point , the warning light is gone for me.
I have no idea why it works (and nor does my local Toyota 'expert' service manager ....) but there you go.
The light seems to come on more often if it has been wet, or quite cold overnight.
I have had it come on in the heat of the day tho', so it sounds like a 'moisture related' gremlin tom me
When I spray the transfer case and rear of engine liberally with WD40 or similar, I have been able to convince myself that it seems to not occur for some time......

I test drove a LX for another MUD member on Tuesday at the local Lexus dealer and got the truck stuck in 4LO on the test drive! Was pretty funny watching the sales guy squirm. Service records showed previous owner complaining about CDL coming on but dealer could never duplicate. ...I guess we solved that problem for them. I'm very curious what the 'official' fix is?

Same gremlin many of us see occasionally, and no known fix.

Hey markunson, having this issue and it doesn't go away no matter if I turn off or off... It's been on for the past 4 days straight. I don't mind except I can't use cruise control, which I need as I'm gearing up for a road trip sooner rather than later.

Plug in an OMBD2 code reader that allows code reset. I (and others) have accepted that the evap codes are going to pop up from time to time. If your lights are due to evap (most code readers will say what they are related to), a simple code reset should get you back in business.

Mine has done it ever since bubbling gas in very hot, steep Moab three Summers ago... and even Toyota agreed I should just keep my reset remedy. I replaced the evap canister two years ago, but it came back...so meh... I now have an OMBD2 reader that does a reset easily, and I can even do it while driving. Annoying, but an easy fix.

Is this applicable for the flashing CDL gremlin? Any recommendation on an OMBD2 scanner to purchase?

When I was getting my gremlin, the vehicle retained no codes. This was one reason why it was so frustrating... no way to troubleshoot once I dropped it off at the dealer.

Just curious, but are 2019 and newer vehicles having this issue still? I will be back in the market this next year and not sure if I want to get a last year or two 200 series or the new 300 series. I am looking at towing my 6klb trailer and which ever has the most power will be the one I probably end up with.

I showed up to the dealer with videos and a printed list of mornings of CDL flashing. Mine is typically cold/wet mornings, so my money is on moisture as well.
I got the standard "no light, no saved codes from the tech/advisor". My plan is to plug in techstream the next time i see it to see if there are any codes.

Also, I've performed the recommended CDL/4lo excersizing, drive 100 yards in straight line, figure 8, double loopty loop to no avail.

9/11/19 7:30am
10/8/19 9am
10/17/19 8:20am
10/22/19 8:45am
10/25/19 9am
10/31/19 8:35am
11/12/19 8:30am
11/17/19 10am

I test drove a LX for another MUD member on Tuesday at the local Lexus dealer and got the truck stuck in 4LO on the test drive! Was pretty funny watching the sales guy squirm. Service records showed previous owner complaining about CDL coming on but dealer could never duplicate. ...I guess we solved that problem for them. I'm very curious what the 'official' fix is?

I had this same thing happen at a car max, with the sales guy saying they’d get it fixed promptly, and he got my number. I kept checking back with their inventory and it never reappeared.. I’m guessing it went back to auction.

I had this same thing happen at a car max, with the sales guy saying they’d get it fixed promptly, and he got my number. I kept checking back with their inventory and it never reappeared.. I’m guessing it went back to auction.

Looks like the local Lexus dealer fixed it and it's back on the lot at a lower price. I may call and ask what they replaced/did.

I showed up to the dealer with videos and a printed list of mornings of CDL flashing. Mine is typically cold/wet mornings, so my money is on moisture as well.
I got the standard "no light, no saved codes from the tech/advisor". My plan is to plug in techstream the next time i see it to see if there are any codes.

Also, I've performed the recommended CDL/4lo excersizing, drive 100 yards in straight line, figure 8, double loopty loop to no avail.

9/11/19 7:30am
10/8/19 9am
10/17/19 8:20am
10/22/19 8:45am
10/25/19 9am
10/31/19 8:35am
11/12/19 8:30am
11/17/19 10am
Just curious, how many miles and when was the last time you changed the fluid in the transfer case (and with what?) I’ve had this issue for ages but knock on wood it hasn’t reappeared this fall/winter yet and I did a fluid change in July.

Just curious, how many miles and when was the last time you changed the fluid in the transfer case (and with what?) I’ve had this issue for ages but knock on wood it hasn’t reappeared this fall/winter yet and I did a fluid change in July.

mine appeared shortly after Toyota dealer changed the fluid. Almost 2 weeks after. It will not resolve byturning off and restarting when warm. They didn’t use Toyota branded oil. Wonder if that’s the cause

Please do!

Called the dealer. It sat in the shop for a day or two and when they went to address it, it had cleared. After a long winded explanation with a lot of "somethings" and "cycled this or that" he said it's "good to go!"

...Short answer: Local Lexus doesn't have a clue why this happens either.

Called the dealer. It sat in the shop for a day or two and when they went to address it, it had cleared. After a long winded explanation with a lot of "somethings" and "cycled this or that" he said it's "good to go!"

...Short answer: Local Lexus doesn't have a clue why this happens either.

Ah! We need answers! I think it’s the transfer case actuator, or at least would be remedied by replacing it.

Ah! We need answers! I think it’s the transfer case actuator, or at least would be remedied by replacing it.

I tend to agree. I think it's on the electrical side of the actuator. Perhaps the resistance thresholds are so close that the right combination of temp/humidity/voltage can set it off. I'm starting to wonder if it might be a simple low voltage issue. I know mine is due for a fresh battery and it's happened twice recently. Always on a cold morning start. I'm replacing my OEM group 27F this weekend.

Well, I'm writing this from the waiting area of the Toyota dealership that changed my gear oils a couple weeks ago. Of course when I turned into the bay, the light turned off. It has been on all morning and for days before now. I'm confident it'll turn back on when they get to it in the bay. We'll see what they say. Perhaps they used an oil without enough friction, perhaps it's an electrical issue...but I'm suspicious it is something the dealer caused due to the timing and never having an issue with it beforehand.

Things like this are what scare me about doing a transmission fluid exchange... Don't want to introduce problems, especially in something as significant as the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom