SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Point taken. My point is the jack points are pretty standard for a body-on-frame design.
Yeah I figured. It’s just that discount and a lot of other shops have bad habits so we should be looking over their shoulder, unfortunately.

As long as they lift it by the frame, it will be fine. Anybody using a lift should be trained on how to do this.

Just hope they don't lift it by the body, like you would with a uni-body car. This will happen if they do:

y18nfazminbz.jpg
Seems like an awful lot of effort to drain the oil.

Yeah I figured. It’s just that discount and a lot of other shops have bad habits so we should be looking over their shoulder, unfortunately.

Heh... I’m with @bloc and those who mention it. My conclusion is... Never assume a shop is entirely devoid of morons. :hillbilly:

If I have any doubts (so like...all the time). I always tell them lugnuts torque numbers, for example...and I suspect that if I didn’t, they’d just do some torque they default to...but not necessarily the right one. I’ve had lugs I literally couldn’t get off because some shop over tightened... :bang: So I make sure now...

-I had a tow truck driver lift my 100 series by just haphazardly shoving his tow-lift under the rear. So...he completely smashed my muffler. Doh!

Thought I’d join the SQOD party as I’m new to the forum and my 2018 200 series. This is my first SQ and I may have many more.:)

I noticed the front passenger side fender liner had what looks like vents to me. If I look through the vents, I see wiring etc… and things I wouldn’t really want to get slung with mud, snow & salt. I don’t recall the fender liners being similarly vented on my 2000 100 series LC. No car I have ever owned has had such vents.

The driver’s side fender liner seems a bit sparse – I can see the side of the engine.

Why on earth is this a good idea especially in a vehicle engineered for off road?

These are pictures of what I’m talking about – from carid:
Fender liners

As long as they lift it by the frame, it will be fine. Anybody using a lift should be trained on how to do this.

Just hope they don't lift it by the body, like you would with a uni-body car. This will happen if they do:

y18nfazminbz.jpg

Eh, it's a Chevy. They often fall apart like that driving down the road. :)

Got a 2-fer here. Looking at the BudBuilt armor, if I go stainless steel, do I still powder coat / paint, or skip because the rust issue isnt there?
Second part, if I'm gonna powder coat, is anyone doing any fun colors? Red and black are just not my speed....

Got a 2-fer here. Looking at the BudBuilt armor, if I go stainless steel, do I still powder coat / paint, or skip because the rust issue isnt there?
Second part, if I'm gonna powder coat, is anyone doing any fun colors? Red and black are just not my speed....

People will tell you they can't rust. They can, but they won't. Unless they're just for show, leave them natural. If they are just for show, spend the extra $$$ on powder, not on stainless.

People will tell you they can't rust. They can, but they won't. Unless they're just for show, leave them natural. If they are just for show, spend the extra $$$ on powder, not on stainless.

My BudBuilt stainless armor pieces are all bare....except for an earlier BB prototype rear control arm guard that came in red, and is still red (not counting all my scraping on it). ;)

Re stainless (full skids and shock guards) I can tell you that even after enduring the notoriously nasty road treatments near Silverton sprayed all over stuff & making a mess of other things...my stainless BB skids and shock guards are rust-free. They also went through an extremely wet & muddy at Cruise Moab and the sitting in that caked on mud. Zero rust.

To me, leaving them bare is great bc they just keep looking normal no matter what abuse I throw at them.

Last edited:
If you powder them no one will know how cool you are with SS. Like putting a muu muu on a showgirl. :hillbilly:

Heh... It’s funny bc half the time on trails, no one can see them anyway...no mater what they’re coated in...except a nice coat of CRUD. :)

BudBuilt ...with special “CrudBuilt” coating... :p

Stainless:
EB301DD5-537F-479A-8E2B-31904A470C11.jpeg
2D2EB4F4-494C-4910-BE1F-BBB10D09E215.jpeg

Here it is in beautiful “Red...” :meh::hillbilly:
FC9A015C-1C6C-45D6-945E-DA611A9697E2.jpeg

@Markuson did you go with their rock armor or overland? I'm guessing their rock armor :) Thanks

My BudBuilt skids are definitely their strongest SS pieces. When I got them, I think maybe the titles of rock or overland weren’t used yet... Not sure, but these as stout as they come, and they can take a beating.

Thought I’d join the SQOD party as I’m new to the forum and my 2018 200 series. This is my first SQ and I may have many more.:)

I noticed the front passenger side fender liner had what looks like vents to me. If I look through the vents, I see wiring etc… and things I wouldn’t really want to get slung with mud, snow & salt. I don’t recall the fender liners being similarly vented on my 2000 100 series LC. No car I have ever owned has had such vents.

The driver’s side fender liner seems a bit sparse – I can see the side of the engine.

Why on earth is this a good idea especially in a vehicle engineered for off road?

These are pictures of what I’m talking about – from carid:
Fender liners
Air pumps for the emissions system are hiding behind the louvers in the right side fender liner...
I don't think it's a good spot for a delicate (and expensive to replace) system either - I simply think this is a concession made by Toyota to keep the EPA/CARB happy.

Air pumps for the emissions system are hiding behind the louvers in the right side fender liner...
I don't think it's a good spot for a delicate (and expensive to replace) system either - I simply think this is a concession made by Toyota to keep the EPA/CARB happy.
Thanks for the reply!
As I'm not the EPA is there a recommended way to cover the louvers? Any harm in doing so?

Thanks for the reply!
As I'm not the EPA is there a recommended way to cover the louvers? Any harm in doing so?
If the system hasn't caused you any issues, I'd just leave it alone. I don't think the Cruiser version of the SAIS has been problematic, and messing with it is likely to cause more issues than it solves IMO.

This site may have a little more info if you want to dig deeper: Hewitt-Tech SAIS Bypass Kits - Store

Dumb question: For driving around ski resort areas like Mammoth or Tahoe, I think the roads are generally plowed. So, I'm guessing an LX570 with K02 will be okay w/out chains. However, it weather is really foul and chains are required for all, on which wheels do I install chains? I'm reading on the web that for AWD, chains on all 4 wheels is recommended. But when I read the manual, on one page, it says install chains on the front wheels "... purchase a set of tire chains for the front tires" but then on a subsequent page it says to install on the rear wheels "Install tire chains on the rear tires."

So: 1) is it fair to assume that I won't need chains at all except under the most extreme weather conditions where roads will likely be closed and I should just stay indoors anyway - if 2wd w/ chains are okay, I should be okay w/o chains; 2) if I really do need chains, install on which wheels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom