Builds DannyBCruzin in an FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WK sliders are BOMB
2. Slee front/Labs rear
3. Suspension sounds good
4. I'd go 5.29 with 37s and a Aussie/Lokka locker if you want a lunchbox
5. Cooper
6. Cheap Ebay Chinese
7. Either
X2 on all of this. Slee makes the best front available and I'd also consider adding spartan to your rear locker choices, had one on a previous truck and will likely be putting one in on its replacement as well. Only thing else I'd mention is with the Chinese snorkels...really double check measurements/instructions as they can sometimes be off and end up really costing you...
You better put a ring on that one! Sounds like a keeper.

Danny, good looking rig.:cheers:
Too bad about the Birf Soup, but it's not that bad a job, just messy.
1. Making your own isn't hard if you've got a welder.
2. Slee or Labs front but DEFINITELY Labs rear (I LOVE this bumper)
3. Check out Dobinson tapered coils
4. 4.88's for highway and offroad / 5.29's if concentrating on offroad performance
5. Cooper STT Pros really claw at the sand/dirt but are fantastic in rocks and mud. For sand and dirt, Cooper ST Maxx, Cooper AT3 XLT, BFG KO2, Goodyear Duratrac, or Falken AT3w
6. Lots of $60 snorkels out there. Don't trust the template but the product is good.
7. Either
Thanks for the input! I'll definitely keep all this in mind. Regarding the TG bumper, it'd mostly just be for cost savings at this point, but I do like the tube styling as well. For the gears, I'm thinking 4.88 due to the highway driving I do to get to the trails...5.29 just seems too low for my driving style.
Thanks, hadn't seen these before. Not quite tickling my fancy though.

Welp, was supposed to drop the cruiser off for the knuckle rebuild this morning, but the shop didn't get the kits...and now they're going out of town for two weeks lol. Guess I'll be hitting trails in the Tacoma again this weekend, since I'm assuming it's not a good idea to wheel the cruiser with birf soup?

I highly recommend that you do the front axle yourself if you never have. If you wheel your cruiser, and you ever have to do a trail repair that requires going into the front end, you don't want that to be the first time going in there. JMHO.

I highly recommend that you do the front axle yourself if you never have. If you wheel your cruiser, and you ever have to do a trail repair that requires going into the front end, you don't want that to be the first time going in there. JMHO.
Yeah, that's a legit point. Work's been super crazy lately (10-12+ hour days), so that played a part in deciding to have a shop do it. With this 2+ week delay, I might actually be able to find the time to do it myself tho lol

Yeah, that's a legit point. Work's been super crazy lately (10-12+ hour days), so that played a part in deciding to have a shop do it. With this 2+ week delay, I might actually be able to find the time to do it myself tho lol

I was pretty intimidated, but I've kinda half torn into it to tighten a wheel bearing and replace the rotors, and I'm already feeling pretty confident I can rebuild the knuckles when the time comes.

Also, buy the poster from wits-end...

YOU CAN DO EEET!

I was pretty intimidated, but I've kinda half torn into it to tighten a wheel bearing and replace the rotors, and I'm already feeling pretty confident I can rebuild the knuckles when the time comes.

Also, buy the poster from wits-end...

YOU CAN DO EEET!
Yeah if I end up taking a shot, I'm for sure getting wits-end goodies

@BayArea80 found me an awesome deal on these 315/70/17 Cooper STT Pros - 5 for $75!! Dude had no idea what he had lmao. These aren’t pretty or ready for more than maybe 8-10k miles, but they should hold me over for a couple months while I sort out the rest of the maintenance. Anyone got a set of 17s for sale?

3DE444ED-4B16-42C4-B666-2E5B5FADA63B.jpeg

62147ED6-5CC4-466C-9397-E988FFD65A6A.jpeg

A03A1D66-6ED1-422F-8EB4-22BEB17E6600.jpeg

3763EBDF-BCF0-4476-AC74-51CD80C1A18F.jpeg

64358923-3862-4862-B26B-9B8E20DC4A01.jpeg

and this is the vendor you want to buy your axle rebuilt kits from: Cruiser Outfitters

and probably many other parts in the future . . .

welcome to the forum :cheers:

Welcome fellow Martinee. I have the offset axle seal tool if you want to borrow it. Make sure you use ONLY oem axle seals, aftermarket will leak. I reccomend watching OTRAMS YouTube video on knuckle rebuild so that you have an idea what the shop needs to do, and make sure they use the correct grease.

I recommend replacing the knuckle studs as well. Those could be gotten fron wits end. Btw those cooper will be LOUD, I have the same set on my truck.

Welcome fellow Martinee. I have the offset axle seal tool if you want to borrow it. Make sure you use ONLY oem axle seals, aftermarket will leak. I reccomend watching OTRAMS YouTube video on knuckle rebuild so that you have an idea what the shop needs to do, and make sure they use the correct grease.

I recommend replacing the knuckle studs as well. Those could be gotten fron wits end. Btw those cooper will be LOUD, I have the same set on my truck.
Fellow Martinee? Small world!

On the topic of grease, what grease should I pump my U joints with?

My buddy had a spare set of rock rashed Pro Comp wheels. He let me have the set of 5 for 250, so all in I've dropped 325 on a set of wheels and tires to hold me over for a couple months. The deals just keep rollin' in! (See what I did there?)
IMG_1348.png

IMG_1347.png

Id be a lot more focused on getting that trucks seals, gaskets, and systems all operating properly before aftermarket mods etc.

Last edited:
I discussed the concern with my toyota mechanic buddy. He said these old girls do that when they’re cold I guess. After letting her warm up it actually went away. Gonna keep an eye on the coolant and oil to see if mixing. Currently both look clean actually, but gonna keep a close eye. Also, bottle of simple green goes a long way. Let’s see what shakes out.

CCBE9BE6-E050-4A05-AF6F-B4CC88FD67FA.jpeg

01D317DC-22B9-4C8C-B211-FAAB6C6B27EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Comparitively speaking the water pump seal and the thermo are easy to get to and replace. One of the nice things about the design that i appreciate. I changed mine while doing some other coolant refreshes and it was very quick. I like changing pumps on my schedule not theirs.

I don't think i would do it until you get around to replacing hoses and doing a good flush though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom