Need new shoes on my 80 series...which of these two? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honestly I'm kinda surprised you've run the Revos for so long. I've seen more punctures and flats on Revos than any other tire I've ever come across. We had 5 revo flats in one trip a while back. Not my rig.

^^^^
Never had a flat with the Revo's (10 ply) and we have a lot Honey Locust (read big thorns) here.

I will be going back to an AT tire next time, the hum of a MT is getting to me more than it used to. Based on the current offerings the Toyo AT2 would be my choice.

Onur, was the first to suggest this tire as well. Might have to look at them. My first thought is that I'd like to have something with a more open shoulder. We get a lot standing water on the highways here.

^^^^
Never had a flat with the Revo's (10 ply) and we have a lot Honey Locust (read big thorns) here.
It's good that they've been a decent tire for you. I know Honey Locust thorns and they're no joke. In any case, my experience with Revos was very different.

The grabbers. 4wd is useless without traction.

If you want some Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's you can have mine. I am sick of them. When they were new I thought they were fantastic. Really quiet but after 20k miles they are very noisy and the wear characteristics are terrible. At low speeds it feels like I am driving over a washboard - no kidding. Unfortunately they still have about 50k of wear left in them. Not sure if further wear will improve them or make them worse. I will probably just bite the bullet and go for something new.

If you want some Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's you can have mine. I am sick of them. When they were new I thought they were fantastic. Really quiet but after 20k miles they are very noisy and the wear characteristics are terrible. At low speeds it feels like I am driving over a washboard - no kidding. Unfortunately they still have about 50k of wear left in them. Not sure if further wear will improve them or make them worse. I will probably just bite the bullet and go for something new.

I am looking at the S/T Maxx as a possibility for my Land Cruiser. Not sure if that makes a difference or not?

I have the STT pro model on my Early Model Bronco...but it is strictly a Ranch/Off Road vehicle and never sees any pavement. The tire has been good for those purposes.

But there seems to be a divide in opinions concerning the Coopers. So far... folks either love them or hate them....doesn't sound like too much in between.

I think the hate is limited to the wear charecteristics on the STT pro's...... mine are gradually getting more vocal..... but they're an aggressive 35" tire so i deal.....if they chop up or wear funny then I'll have to consider alternatives and it would likely be AT2's.....

I liked how the ST maxx's ran other then in the heavy mud.... very smooth at speed.

FWIW, I am starting to realize that where you buy tires from is just as important as the model of tire. It is so annoying and frustrating if the place you buy tires from can't balance your tires. This is actually a common problem with oversized tires (especially mt's) I have had to deal with this issue on multiple sets of tires. I will only buy tires from one store in my area now because they are the only ones who can balance my tires and understand road force balancing.

Talking tires seems a lot like talking politics. It amazes me how many tires are loved and hated at the very same time. This makes it impossible to trust anyone's opinion. :doh:

I like your original options but to add to the difficulty of your choice I’d like to present a couple other options—

I had the og Falken ATs on my F350 and swore off Falken after that but after seeing these new AT3s on a few friends rigs and with how inexpensive they are comparitively I decided to get a set for my f250 and I really like them. Fair amount of off road use hunting this year and some snow and been real pleased. Plus they have a great tread life warranty. They’re a little less aggressive than some of the others but they do have insanely deep tread and they still do well off road. Look em up...

83D634AC-0B68-429B-A3CE-5F2126E22B79.jpeg

I have a friend with 37” KM3s on his 80 series and he loves them. Been great on road in snow and off in many conditions. Huge improvement from that trash KM2
6D341F08-912E-4802-8C2B-EDD48668284F.jpeg

I have a friend with these, I looked at them myself but decided to buy the Falkens instead.
57DEE8F5-551E-4E0D-A5CA-CB9552A01B09.jpeg

I killed A LOT of tires on my Tacoma but I never had a single complaint with my duratracs and they saw a lot of desert and a lot of snow. I really liked them. I think they’re worth looking at at least.
9B16446C-C27A-4592-BA86-62DD6C4232E9.jpeg

Also, I had the predecessor to the ST Maxx (ST-C) on my F350 I liked them a lot and was going to buy a set of the ST maxx for my new F250 but with the tread life warranty and how cheap those falkens were I chose those instead.

If you decide to go full MT I have nitto trail grapplers on my 80 and cannot say enough good about them.

Falkens look to be a good 'bargain' priced tire, but I need something I pick up just about anywhere should I have a tire failure or need to replace one for any reason.

A "just about anywhere" tire will be a BFG or Goodyear.

I like Mickey Thompsons, which are Coopers, but they (or Coopers for that matter) are not at Walmart in Outer Mongolia.

A "just about anywhere" tire will be a BFG or Goodyear.

I like Mickey Thompsons, which are Coopers, but they (or Coopers for that matter) are not at Walmart in Outer Mongolia.

Let me rephrase: ' Just about anywhere Flint is likely to be' (read Texas). Cooper and General tires are all over the place here, Goodyear and Firestone as well. Never had good luck with Goodyear tires and haven't owned or even looked at any in 25 years.

The MT's for BFG has always been good tires, not interested at ALL in the KO's.

I echo Cruiserdan as BFG and Goodyear are everywhere. I also think you hit the nail on the head when comparing them to shoes, it is all personal preference but, you wont wear dress shoes to the track and expect to perform well.

The mud issue is a tough one for an AT tire. Noise, snow and ice are the downfall for the MTs. The bottom line is you need to pick your poison, traction off road or on. I will forgo the road manners so I can get where I want to off road, to a degree. The BFG MTs or GY MTs are a good choice for that. For the AT, I would stay with the BFG and would not trust the GYs, especially the REVOs. I, and my family, have had very good success with the BFGs, Mud and ATs. Also had good luck with the GY MTs, and horrible experience with the REVOs. None of us would dare to use this tire again.

We are running the BFG ATs on my daughter's 4runner and my son's Taco now. Love them for their good road manners and ability to perform well on the snow and wet roads. My daughter is in Missoula and she loves these tires over the Goodyears that she had, especially in the snow.

Unsure where the OP is at now regarding original question; (this opinion is from tire usage on an 08 Tundra) We just had a set of REvo 2 replaced with the Revo 3 I never had a flat or any other issues. I did goof the rotation schedule, and I was running on shocks that were 3/4 gone but still got around 50k out of them. The new ones seem to ride a bit "softer" and they changed the side lugs to make them look more "aggressive." Also, for my Tundra I am 98% pavement.

Unsure where the OP is at now regarding original question; (this opinion is from tire usage on an 08 Tundra) We just had a set of REvo 2 replaced with the Revo 3 I never had a flat or any other issues. I did goof the rotation schedule, and I was running on shocks that were 3/4 gone but still got around 50k out of them. The new ones seem to ride a bit "softer" and they changed the side lugs to make them look more "aggressive." Also, for my Tundra I am 98% pavement.

I've run Revo's on my LC for years. They have been good on the highway, good in the rain, OK off road (the little bit I do), but NONE has ever given me good tire mileage even with regular rotations. I don't think I like the new tread pattern on the Revo 3's and I'm ready to try something different anyway (maybe just a bit more aggressive).

Some are recommending the BFG KO's. Those will NEVER go on my Land Cruiser. I need something that channels out rainwater really well and won't plug up with red clay. I'm not saying they are a bad tire, but NOT the tire for me.

I'll toss this one in, off the bench. I am running Cooper AT3/4S tires on our Rav4. I have been very pleased with the performance and look. The 4S is not available in larger truck sizes but there is an AT3 that is.

Toyo open country r/t

Let me rephrase: ' Just about anywhere Flint is likely to be' (read Texas). Cooper and General tires are all over the place here, Goodyear and Firestone as well. Never had good luck with Goodyear tires and haven't owned or even looked at any in 25 years.

The MT's for BFG has always been good tires, not interested at ALL in the KO's.
So where are you at on the new KM3s then?

I echo Cruiserdan as BFG and Goodyear are everywhere. I also think you hit the nail on the head when comparing them to shoes, it is all personal preference but, you wont wear dress shoes to the track and expect to perform well.

The mud issue is a tough one for an AT tire. Noise, snow and ice are the downfall for the MTs. The bottom line is you need to pick your poison, traction off road or on. I will forgo the road manners so I can get where I want to off road, to a degree. The BFG MTs or GY MTs are a good choice for that. For the AT, I would stay with the BFG and would not trust the GYs, especially the REVOs. I, and my family, have had very good success with the BFGs, Mud and ATs. Also had good luck with the GY MTs, and horrible experience with the REVOs. None of us would dare to use this tire again.

We are running the BFG ATs on my daughter's 4runner and my son's Taco now. Love them for their good road manners and ability to perform well on the snow and wet roads. My daughter is in Missoula and she loves these tires over the Goodyears that she had, especially in the snow.
Sorry, meant the Duratracs, Revos I have not heard anything negative on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom