Am I crazy to buy a 2020 Landcruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For what it’s worth, non ethanol gas makes about a 20% improvement in mileage over 10% ethanol gas. Where I’m at you generally have to go premium to get non ethanol gas and that is generally about 20% more per gallon. I don’t really save any money but I get 20% more range. When my 200 was stock, and I drove 65 mph, I could get 20 mpg on the highway. Of course I only drove 65 once as an experiment...

The DOE states E-10 has about 3.6% less energy compare with ethanol free gas. I see closer to 10% in a 200 series after dozens of fillup of each (consecutive fill ups of each). I have the same issue (premium only ethanol free is the only ethanol free option) and it is 20% more. I only put e free gas in my carbs, but am fine with e10 in the cruiser if convenient.

Yeah don't buy it. Doug Demuro hates it, the LX570 which is the same car as the 2020 Land Cruiser. Its a 13 year old platform, basically one of the oldest new cars you can buy off the lot new. Its $90k also for a 13 year old car. The 8 speed trans is jerky and pretty awful. It has a solid rear axle, the same stuff $20k base pickup trucks use. Doesn't have adjustable suspension - all luxury SUVs have that except for the LC200. Its not turbo. Only comes with 18 inch wheels, look at any other $90k SUV, you'd be getting 20, 22s minimum.

Get a G-wagen instead, or a Q8, Navigator, or a Range Rover.

If you want a car good in snow, then you could literally buy any car, even FWD cars, available off the lot, put on Nokian Hakkapaelittas on them, and it will handle better than a LC200 brand new off the lot on OEM Dunlops.

If it isn't broken, fix it until it is?

Is that what you are saying?

Yeah don't buy it. Doug Demuro hates it, the LX570 which is the same car as the 2020 Land Cruiser. Its a 13 year old platform, basically one of the oldest new cars you can buy off the lot new. Its $90k also for a 13 year old car. The 8 speed trans is jerky and pretty awful. It has a solid rear axle, the same stuff $20k base pickup trucks use. Doesn't have adjustable suspension - all luxury SUVs have that except for the LC200. Its not turbo. Only comes with 18 inch wheels, look at any other $90k SUV, you'd be getting 20, 22s minimum.

Get a G-wagen instead, or a Q8, Navigator, or a Range Rover.

If you want a car good in snow, then you could literally buy any car, even FWD cars, available off the lot, put on Nokian Hakkapaelittas on them, and it will handle better than a LC200 brand new off the lot on OEM Dunlops.

is it April’s fool today??

time flies around here.

If following is all good by you then yes.

Initial Price, High Insurance cost, doing maintenance you or shop does it. Finding a reliable shop to do maintenance as needed when you can not do it.

What you get in return a SUV you could drive all dirt from were ever you are all way to Alaska and back and be as close to 100% certain it will get you their and back. A mall cruiser that will last and last and last and overall quality will stand up to time. A tow vehicle for 8000 lbs, a very comfy family hauler for 4 adults.

This is why I bought mine. The only other SUVs I looked at was 4 runner and Lexus 460 and my wife said no to 4 runner and I did not want Lexus.

Not sure I would buy one new myself at this point. I bought mine 50K miles and loved 20K miles since of road trips in all weather conditions, camping, light duty farm work and Costco runs. This is the truck I don't mind getting dirty or beating up a little within reason. I would probably want to keep a new one in nice condition for a while but that doesn't fit my needs. If I lived someplace drier, I might consider a pickup built to similar standards, if there is such a thing...OP should go new if that fits their needs and budget, but consider future plans as well.

Well I guess I'm in the crazy crowd.
I just got a 2018 leftover sold as new with 6300 miles on it. I couldn't get a 2019 without the awful rear seat entertainment system and the 2020 Heritage model wasn't in sight. Sooooooo I opted to save a few $ and get the 2018 with no rear seat entertainment.
I love the LC due to it's durability and quality build. I don't give a darn about whether it's an old design. In fact, I'm drawn to pretty much anything that uses mature technology. As for gas mileage, it's a recreational vehicle. If I could have gotten a bigger engine like a Chevy 402 cu in I would have.

The main problem is the land cruisers last so long, and they don't change frequently, so you don't have much of a reason to buy a new one very often. :)

Personally, at this late point in the development cycle I'd wait and see what the 300 (or whatever) is like. If you hate the new you could always buy the old. Just thinking back, if I had bought and owned 2007 100 I would have been pretty envious of the 2008 200 a year later.

I don't understand why you'd buy a new one when the reliability is good. Let someone else eat the depreciation. Then again I'm a cheap ass, so...
Go for new. Depreciation is really slow. Two months ago I have traded 16 for 20 and cost difference was only $20K. Amazing for driving $80k truck for 4 years. BTW you can buy 20LC for way under invoice so definitely shop around. Many dealers are clueless how to sell it and will unload it to just get rid off especially since it is December. Dealers get cash back from manufacturer at the end of the year for every car sold that year. That is way you see so many sales in December. Toyota I think gives back 3% to dealers. So buying 3% under invoice should be your target.

Well, I could never afford a new one... actually I can't even afford my 2016 LC I bought this year for 50K @ 61K mileage. I absolutely love this car, if I could of bought new, I would in a heart beat! Only issue... and small issue I have with this car is the gas mileage. I average 13MPG... I'm constantly filling up and feels like a punch to the face everytime. I don't mind the gas mileage being bad... I just hate filling up every 3 days. Wish it would of came with a larger tank.

You can add a long range tank of 14, 24, or 49 gallons. Not cheap, though.

IMO. This is the best advise on this post.

Personally, at this late point in the development cycle I'd wait and see what the 300 (or whatever) is like. If you hate the new you could always buy the old. Just thinking back, if I had bought and owned 2007 100 I would have been pretty envious of the 2008 200 a year later.

Do it! And keep my email handy for when u upgrade in a few years.

Go for new. Depreciation is really slow. Two months ago I have traded 16 for 20 and cost difference was only $20K. Amazing for driving $80k truck for 4 years. BTW you can buy 20LC for way under invoice so definitely shop around. Many dealers are clueless how to sell it and will unload it to just get rid off especially since it is December. Dealers get cash back from manufacturer at the end of the year for every car sold that year. That is way you see so many sales in December. Toyota I think gives back 3% to dealers. So buying 3% under invoice should be your target.

For a luxury segment vehicle, the Land Cruiser depreciation is simply amazing. I'm not sure any other luxury vehicle comes close.

My wife really wanted an MDX, when the salesman told us it would still have 50% of its value after 3 years (as a selling point), that was all I needed to tell my wife no way! I've been pushing her on a Land Cruiser for years (think she is going to go for another 4runner though).

That said, the depreciation on a 4Runner or Tacoma is simply INSANE with how little they depreciate.

I drove my last tacoma (07 TRD OR 4x4) for 6 years, and and sold it for $3k less than I paid (excluding sales tax). That was about $40 a month in depreciation for a brand new truck. The 2015s (last of the 2nd gen), are selling used for at more more than you could get them new. They depreciate so little, it actually makes more sense to buy new.

The Land Cruiser depreciates enough that buying used makes sense when you compare the projected service life and repairs vs. the costs saved, but buying one used is also smart compared to pretty much any other lux rig. I looked at new, but decided my 16 with 30k miles for $53k would allow me to take the difference and buy another old Land Cruiser (thinking a 45 this time).

My wife really wanted an MDX, when the salesman told us it would still have 50% of its value after 3 years (as a selling point), that was all I needed to tell my wife no way! I've been pushing her on a Land Cruiser for years (think she is going to go for another 4runner though).

FWIW, I purchased a brand new 2008 MDX Tech. Hated it. Sold it almost exactly one year later for $3,001 less than I paid for it. Not that I'm a fan of Hondas, but they do hold their value too.

FWIW, I purchased a brand new 2008 MDX Tech. Hated it. Sold it almost exactly one year later for $3,001 less than I paid for it. Not that I'm a fan of Hondas, but they do hold their value too.

When we were looking, we checked 3 year old models to see if the salesman was accurate. My wife wanted fully loaded, so we were looking at SH-AWD with Advance and Entertainment. We found many that had dropped 40% or more in value from MSRP. What was really surprising, was how much they dropped in value by going back even a few more years. This is one area where Cruisers start to shine by having a much higher floor value than the competition.

Reactions: HGB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom