My FZJ80 journey begins... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Technical question time...

Driving down the highway, flash high-beams and the radio shuts off... Parked in the driveway, flash high-beams and the radio does NOT shut off...
PO installed aftermarket radio.
I'm thinking I need to check the radio harness and the headlight harness? This might be a good time to upgrade to the Slee high power headlight harness?

Also, it seems that the crank pully is squealing a little?
Capture.PNG

Just a drop of wd-40 on this guy and it goes quiet as a church mouse.

Can ya'll confirm that the highlighted part is this:
Capture1.PNG

So $385 is a little steep, is it possible to just buy a new bearing and replace it? Or am I good with just lubing it up occasionally? Thanks!

-Patrick.

Slee headlight harness was nothing but trouble for me, had to pull it to get the headlights to work reliably again. YMMV.

Technical question time...

Driving down the highway, flash high-beams and the radio shuts off... Parked in the driveway, flash high-beams and the radio does NOT shut off...
PO installed aftermarket radio.
I'm thinking I need to check the radio harness and the headlight harness? This might be a good time to upgrade to the Slee high power headlight harness?

Also, it seems that the crank pully is squealing a little?
View attachment 2148962

Just a drop of wd-40 on this guy and it goes quiet as a church mouse.

Can ya'll confirm that the highlighted part is this:
View attachment 2148964

So $385 is a little steep, is it possible to just buy a new bearing and replace it? Or am I good with just lubing it up occasionally? Thanks!

-Patrick.

Are you sure it's not the idler pulley? The only way a crank pulley will make a little squealing is the belts are loose or need replacing. It is one piece and firmly bolted to the crank, it just spins around and around.

Are you sure it's not the idler pulley? The only way a crank pulley will make a little squealing is the belts are loose or need replacing. It is one piece and firmly bolted to the crank, it just spins around and around.

^this^ but I would also closely inspect the belts for age, then check belt tension, then if that doesn't solve it pull the idler and see if it quiets. After that, you will need to look at the alternator, etc.

I would not put in another wiring harness until you have solved the issues at hand.

^this^ but I would also closely inspect the belts for age, then check belt tension, then if that doesn't solve it pull the idler and see if it quiets. After that, you will need to look at the alternator, etc.

I would not put in another wiring harness until you have solved the issues at hand.

So today, I noticed the battery tray was a little loose, tightened it down and noticed that the negative terminal was also a little loose, not falling off the battery terminal, but I could have picked it up off with my hand if I wanted too. So I tightened everything down, and while out on a short drive, no weird issues with my radio/headlights.

I'm guessing maybe that had something to do with it? Also, potentially my very random starting issue that has happened 3x times in the last two months...

I understand the reservations about the crank pulley, but I very specifically sprayed a little bit of wd-40 on the back side of the crank pulley (near its center) and the squealing instantly stopped.

I've checked the belts for wear/tension, all looks good to my untrained eye. Currently there's no squealing at all, so I guess I'll just have to wait until it comes back to re-verify where it's coming from.

Slee headlight harness was nothing but trouble for me, had to pull it to get the headlights to work reliably again. YMMV.

I suppose I'll hold off on the Slee harness until I get some other items in order...

FWIW - I’ve been running the Slee harness for over three years with zero problems. I did this when I went to Depo headlights.

So the idler pulley was the issue... Ya'll were right again, and thank god, way cheaper than the crank pulley! I decided to do all new belts while I was in there.

Long story short, it was a pain in the @#$%, I do not have an OEM alternator mount, I had to loosen the water pump pulley, and it took hours...

I've taken Lucy out on a couple more trips. Yay snow wheeling, not my favorite but I've been itching to get out and put her through her paces!

IMG_20191214_135817.jpg

IMG_20191214_105018.jpg

IMG_20200101_121047.jpg

IMG_20200101_121136.jpg

IMG_20200101_102142.jpg

I've also added a few things to my repertoire...

12k Badlands Winch (which has already saved my hide)
IMG_20191213_141346.jpg

A little bit of tree rash
IMG_20200103_155043.jpg

I also picked up these bro-tastic knock-off maxtracks, and I can't wait to hang them off the side with my lime green D-rings clanking in the wind.
IMG_20200111_190930.jpg

I think I need to start thinking about a cargo area storage solution. I want to be able to throw the jump seats in when I need them so I'll have to peruse the forums for solutions that others have already come up with... I'm open to suggestions.

I've also added a few things to my repertoire...

12k Badlands Winch (which has already saved my hide)
View attachment 2182241

A little bit of tree rash
View attachment 2182243

I also picked up these bro-tastic knock-off maxtracks, and I can't wait to hang them off the side with my lime green D-rings clanking in the wind.
View attachment 2182242

I think I need to start thinking about a cargo area storage solution. I want to be able to throw the jump seats in when I need them so I'll have to peruse the forums for solutions that others have already come up with... I'm open to suggestions.
Also, don't forget to plan for a way to tie down all that crap in the back or consider a cage for behind the second row. In the event of a collision or rollover, it will keep the stuff more contained and kill you with a milk crate of tools to the head.

Read the story about rebuilding the White Rhino and you'll know what I mean.

Also, don't forget to plan for a way to tie down all that crap in the back or consider a cage for behind the second row. In the event of a collision or rollover, it will keep the stuff more contained and kill you with a milk crate of tools to the head.

Read the story about rebuilding the White Rhino and you'll know what I mean.
Haha, ran across this by chance. Yeah, when I rolled the 1994 Green Machine, in the cargo area was stuff to stay over night in the snow like, washer tub fire pit, axe, chain saw, tools, etc. The only item that made it forward of the front seats was my handgun box. I now use a cargo net made of high quality webbing to secure whatever is in the cargo area down to upgraded floor tie downs that fit at the factory locations.

Great points guys. Even if you're only loaded down on the way to the trail, you never know when the accident is going to happen. I'll add cargo area net/divider to the list as well.

INterested to hear a report on the faux-maxtrax. Good points about securing "crap" in the cargo area.

Loose ground wire can be responsible for many random electrical gremlins

^
truth.

I would recommend replacing both terminal wires, ground wire, and fusible links also. My bother in law and I rebuilt a 3vz-e and couldn't start it for a week until we replaced the ground wire. after that it sprang to life. I should have tested for that but kept thinking it was something else. small things can cause big headaches.

INterested to hear a report on the faux-maxtrax. Good points about securing "crap" in the cargo area.
The other weekend I was out with my buddy and his rear end was sliding off the trail with some deep snow. We used his faux-maxtracks to pull him back onto the trail. That's what convinced me to pull the trigger on my own set. I'm headed out for some snow fun Saturday, if I have to use mine I'll report back.

I would recommend replacing both terminal wires, ground wire, and fusible links also. My bother in law and I rebuilt a 3vz-e and couldn't start it for a week until we replaced the ground wire. after that it sprang to life. I should have tested for that but kept thinking it was something else. small things can cause big headaches.

I replaced the battery terminals the other week, but will add wires and fusible links to my shopping cart.

It's a funny issue, that is still occurring. It ONLY struggles to start if I've been driving and then go to start it after it's been cooling down for ~2 hours. If it's cooled down more than 2 hours or so, or to a certain degree, she'll start right up without a hitch. And if I go to start it up after only sitting for a few minutes to an hour, she'll start right up.

Maybe it's a vacuum issue? Or an increase/decrease of pressure somewhere in the cooling down process?

^
truth.

good advice, people underestimate the need for good grounds on a vehicle, def change out the fusible link if it is original, many times the FL can look ok but still be bad......

A quick update... Most of my posts have been going on IG. Some things I've done...

The PO left me a nice little dent that has been bugging me lately, so I pulled the fender and tried to pound it out. I may have gotten a little carried away with my dead hammer, but I think it looks a little better than before...

IMG_20200224_141954.jpg

IMG_20200224_155050.jpg

IMG_20200224_155053.jpg

IMG_20200225_153559.jpg

I just need to buff out the scuff marks on the paint now.

I got rid of some damage, but then took her out and caused some of my own... Those damn lower control arms in the rear are pretty weak, or I guess the rocks were much stronger. I've got a little bend in mine now...

IMG_20200215_142132.jpg

IMG_20200216_150025.jpg

IMG_20200216_150051.jpg

IMG_20200216_150058.jpg

This damage came from a club run at a nearby off-road park. It was really nice to put Lucy through her paces. She's a beast and more capable than I had initially thought. I'm definitely looking forward to these tires hitting the road so I can get some 37's...

I haven't noticed any handling degradation from the slight bend in the rear lower control arm, so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on some new wits-end ones...
I saw that @TRAIL TAILOR has some nice looking control arm mount armor... I've seen people say good things about them too, but has anyone used anything else? My welding skills are nil, so something heavy duty that I can bolt on is pretty appealing.

I did go and get the heavy duty sway bar links from @LandCruiserPhil to replace my damaged ones too. I can't wait to get them installed and try out the front sway bar disconnects.

I also repaired the broken barb on my washer fluid reservoir pump. I kind of stepped on it when I was trying to change out my belts... I drilled out a "woops plug" from my sprinkler system drip line and attached it to the pump. I kinda got carried away with the epoxy...

IMG_20200220_145546.jpg

IMG_20200220_150353.jpg

IMG_20200220_201903.jpg

A whole lot of :banana:mechanic stuff happening. I had no idea how much joy I'd get from working on this thing by myself! I just need to learn to weld so I can take my amateurish mechanic skills to the next level :banana: .

Last post with some action shots, that way this thread isn't just filled up with garbage repairs and damaged parts of my rig...

IMG_20200215_095751.jpg

IMG_20200215_100204.jpg

MVIMG_20200215_090703.jpg

IMG_20200215_095627.jpg

PANO_20200215_091323.vr.jpg

Also, "daddy-daughter" wheeling is totally a thing in our household now. The other day my wife asked my 3-yr old if she wanted to go to the Zoo this weekend, or take Lucy off-roading. Turns out Lucy > Zoo! :steer::princess:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom