Builds Unicorns are real... My dream car FJ73 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What intake is on it now? LM4 should have the same intake that you bought at the junkyard. Sometime to look out for, a lot of the cheaper headers have plug wire interference issues. I'd recommend you get yourself some 2010-2015 LS3 Camaro exhaust manifolds. They are pretty much the best fit for a Land Cruiser. And super easy to find new or slightly used takeoffs for cheap. I bought a new pair this weekend for $60.

Last edited:
What intake is on it now? LM4 should have the same intake that you bought at the junkyard. Sometime to look out for, a lot of the cheaper headers have plug wire interference issues. I'd recommend you get yourself some 2010-2015 LS3 Camaro exhaust manifolds. They are pretty much the best fit for a Land Cruiser. And super easy to find new or slightly used takeoffs for cheap. I bought a new pair this weekend for $60.

GREAT INFO! I have been picking the huge brain of your local yocal, @thatcabledude and owe him some beers already, so would love to pick your brain and do the same. I will be in Orlando in Feb, so hopefully find time to say hello.

I saw your question on the frame width, I forgot to get a measurement last night, so have that on my list for tonight.

Is there a part number or casting number on those manifolds?

I have not picked up the engine yet, but was told it was the short intake and the truck intake would be better for it. They are trying to help me find a rear sump pan without a hole through it, so hope to get it in the next few weeks.

While I am thinking about it, is there a good guide to the wiring harness? i got a stock harness, and computer, I assume I will need it flashed, and the harness will need to be connected to the truck. Is there a good guide for this? The harness plugs into the fuse panel on the GM truck, which we did not grab. Do we need that?

k

Oil Pan:
Get Chevrolet Performance 19212593 "Muscle Car" pan kit. It's a new pan, gasket, dipstick tube, bolts, everything. If you shop around you should be able to get it for about $200 to your door. It works great.

Intake: The only way your LM4 would have a car intake would be if someone swapped it which would be unusual for the Envoy or Trailblazer it would have came out of. The best intake for a truck is the Gen 4/ TBSS intake, that requires different rails, injectors, injector plugs, and a different throttle body. Some sensors might be different but I'm not sure yet. I'm going to be swapping one onto my L33 very soon. It's good for about +20ft lbs over the stock truck intake like your motor should have on it.

LS3 exhaust manifolds:
12611639, 12611638 left and right

This is what they look like

Btw, I pulled and bought an LM4 from an 06 Envoy at the junkyard on Friday, so they're fresh on my mind ;)

The GM "muscle car oil pan" is literally just the factory oil pan used on the H3 Alpha. Here are it's dimensions:

20191202_162140.jpg

Here is the F-body pan's dimensions and the part numbers for all it's peripherals:

20191202_162157.jpg

I'm very interested in what the width of your frame rails are. If they are any closer than the 80 series, the AC compressor is definitely going to be an issue in the stock mounting location. Of course you can have it sit just above the frame rail, but then you run into hood clearance issues with truck intake. The Trailblazer SS intake does sit a little lower than the traditional "truck" intake also, so that's another plus for it. The TBSS engine cover is a bit of a clusterfuck though. Vanity I know, but these non-car intakes are so friggin hideous when bare.

You just got to get that motor to the house and start playing with placement!

@cruisermatt have you done a side by side comparison of the Camaro LS3 manifolds against the Hooker manifolds? They are real similar, but if I recall, the driver side flange was kinda bumped out, therefore not as tight as the Hooker's. I have not held both at the same time.

Last edited:
The frame is 1 inch narrower than an 80 Series.
9D3C8D5D-F708-4822-894D-737C8FEC93E1.jpeg
82060E2C-CD2A-41F8-B889-C7811F290041.jpeg

This is an80 with 2UZ in there
D47E14DF-5EC1-4B12-ACCE-40264F4882BB.jpeg

I think you’ll be fine. I have ample clearance between the AC compressor and frame rail on my 60 and a 60 frame is about the same width as an 80 frame up front.
If for some reason you do run into an issue there are a plethora of aftermarket relocation bracket options.

@thatcabledude no I have not done a side by side comparison, I have done probably four installations with the Hooker manifolds and they are very similar. I can’t image there’s more then 3/4-1” of difference. I just usually recommend the LS3 ones since they’re very readily available used and new take-off.

Very good. Sounds like I need to head back and get the A/C bracket from the junkyard.

Any good source for wiring information?

The GM "muscle car oil pan" is literally just the factory oil pan used on the H3 Alpha. Here are it's dimensions:

View attachment 2147714

Here is the F-body pan's dimensions and the part numbers for all it's peripherals:

View attachment 2147715

I'm very interested in what the width of your frame rails are. If they are any closer than the 80 series, the AC compressor is definitely going to be an issue in the stock mounting location. Of course you can have it sit just above the frame rail, but then you run into hood clearance issues with truck intake. The Trailblazer SS intake does sit a little lower than the traditional "truck" intake also, so that's another plus for it. The TBSS engine cover is a bit of a clusterfuck though. Vanity I know, but these non-car intakes are so friggin hideous when bare.

You just got to get that motor to the house and start playing with placement!

Trying to track down this GM muscle car oil pan. That part number for the alpha is not easy to get. do you have a place you get parts from, or what else should I search for?

I called @cruiseroutfit last week when Kurt was out, but they had a good point, to figure out the spring I need, they need to know the weight difference in the LS vs the LM 5 cylinder stock engine.

So, been trying to figure out the weight of the stock LM engine. I can't find much on the Webz.... ANYONE??

5 Cylinder[edit]

HR 588 OHV[edit]
2.5 L; 152.2 cu in (2,494 cc) inline-5, with two (pushrod-actuated) valves-per-cylinder and indirect fuel injection from either Bosch or Spica. 88 mm × 82 mm (3.46 in × 3.23 in). This engine is a five-cylinder version of the 2-litre HR488, and also uses KKK turbochargers.
Applications:

LS LM4 aluminum engine is a little easier. 500lbs fully dressed.

Ranger overdrive unit is about 80lbs if I go that way (have not decided yet)

second project is to figure out how this car will travel at highway speeds.

So, gear ratio in rear is 4.56

Found this for the h55f - I don't find anything saying that the diesel had different gear ratio than the gas engine... so these are assumed correct.

1575652936623.png

Here is what the calculator pumped out at 2500 rpm

With 33" tires.

1575653123718.png

With 35" tires,

1575653148288.png

Thoughts?

I have a scale big enough to weigh the engine and your pickup if you cannot find the specs.

I have a scale big enough to weigh the engine and your pickup if you cannot find the specs.
Hoping to figure this out before pulling it out...... hmmm.

LS LM4 aluminum engine is a little easier. 500lbs fully dressed.

It's closer to 400. something like 425-430 if I remember right. That's a Warn M8000 of of difference.

Attachments

• 1999-02pcmpinouts ls harness.pdf
    299.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 2003-07pcmpinouts ls swap.pdf
    215.4 KB · Views: 71

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom