'Cant live without' expedition ...things? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently entering the planning stage for an expedition style build out, and I'm curious what are some things/mods/setups that someone might not think of that you just can't live without?
IE USB outlet by your bed, or a reading light, hot water shower setup?

And go!

Headlamp, camp shoes ( slip ons that have waterproof bottoms), pamper wipes,
Don’t forget Toyota specific tools - front snap ring pliers, hub socket,
Everyone seems to remember spare lug nuts, but got to have enough wheel studs for one
corner. There are more but this comes to mind first

LRA 24 aux...game changer for a thirsty 80 series.

LRA 24 aux...game changer for a thirsty 80 series.

X2. Though if you can get away with a larger main tank (37 gallon), and if you can tolerate that tank sitting a bit lower than the 24, keeping fuel weight between the axles is a plus.

Last edited:
Basics? E rated tire the best you can buy cause tires aren’t where you scrimp. Long range fuel
tank. Heavy duty bumpers, with spare tire and carrying capabilities out back. Full length
flat roof rack for cargo or tent. Coordinated interior design keeping weight forward - water,
tools, and recovery gear is heaviest and should be stored forward of rear axle line.
to be honest if budget permits I’d recommend a 12V fridge the convenience and joy
can’t be understated once you’ve used one. On board air compressor. Whether you go air
Or electric a selectable rear locker is in my mind a minimum.

Can I expedition in my 1987 Honda Accord? So far I've removed the hubcaps and drywall screwed some Maxtrax to the hood. Do you think a snorkle would help with my fording depth? Also just bought some hockey pucks at Play It Again sports to start my lift!

I don't see why not. An expedition is just a long car camping trip, right?

Small pack, belt pack or vest that you take whenever you leave the vehicle. Contents up to you but at a minimum should have some food, water, a knife, misch metal fire starter, a compass, and some cordage. If you go out wondering around it is very easy to misplace your vehicle. In some areas you can’t tell one ridge from another and can easily become lost after walking less than a mile. GPS could be a plus too.

Can I expedition in my 1987 Honda Accord? So far I've removed the hubcaps and drywall screwed some Maxtrax to the hood. Do you think a snorkle would help with my fording depth? Also just bought some hockey pucks at Play It Again sports to start my lift!
pics, or it didn't happen!

hell, use your mountain bike, but that to me sounds like too much work

in a time long ago before I got my fj-60 (around1988) I used to take an rx3 camping. Worked well on Jeep trails, had to take it slow and sometimes rebuild parts of a road with rocks, find alternate routes, etc. But it worked! People with 4x4s would ask “how the hell did you get out here?” The answer “Determination”

I don't see why not. An expedition is just a long car camping trip, right?
Exactly. People forget that sometimes.

pics, or it didn't happen!
I wish.

in a time long ago before I got my fj-60 (around1988) I used to take an rx3 camping. Worked well on Jeep trails, had to take it slow and sometimes rebuild parts of a road with rocks, find alternate routes, etc. But it worked! People with 4x4s would ask “how the hell did you get out here?” The answer “Determination”
I once convinced a friend to drive his 4x4 truck out to a wonderful camping spot by telling him I once saw a sedan out there. He eventually did it, and drove like a fool and beat up his truck. While he was busy cursing me out saying the trail was too tough for street trucks a brand new Acura full of tourists pulls up, hes still mad about that...

#1 Having paper maps, skills and backpacking gear for the climate to hike out. Who cares what you're driving - it will fail. Two feet and a heartbeat do not.

Can also be used in a pinch for when you forget to make reservations and all the drive-in glamping spots are taken (you did make reservations for this "expedition", right?) and have to slum it with the tent people......... in the rain.

Edit: My bad.....

1575655468485.png

Last edited:
SHREDwagon,
Parts of the road😉. Years ago there was an article about a guy who blew a piston and replaced it with a hunk of tree to limp out of the outback. I have no idea where to find the article now. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom