Events/Trails Xmas Tree Run - Jemez December 14th 9 am Walatowa Visitor Center (2 Viewers)

Attendance Poll for Xmas Tree Run

• Yes - will be attending

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Maybe - I will let you know

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No - I will not be attending

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hopefully not a close call!
Placitas had several electrical poles that fell in the wind and caused a power outage for several hours

It was close enough I think. I didn't see that one fall, but watched a couple fall behind Larry while I was following. They fell uphill away from the road. It got a little scary for a minute.

The fog was super thick. There were times I could barely see Larry's lights.

IMG-20191129-WA0008.jpg

Either Frank or Larry will have to tell the tree story.

There are actually two tree stories.

Frank and I had completed winching my truck out of a ditch on a steep uphill, while Virgil, down hill of us, moved his chains to his front tires, so he could gain more steering and avoid my ditch. We were winding up the wench, taking our time, then suddenly, a very large burst of wind hit the ridge and a huge tree (30"+ diameter size/type) crashed down up on the ridge right above us. When we heard the crash, we looked up the hill, only to see an entire area full of dead trees swaying back and forth in the blowing wind. Just then, another tree, perhaps smaller, also crashed down to the ground, hitting other trees and cracking/snapping with loud, ground shaking noises. Suddenly, the joking stopped and we hustled to get out of that area. Virgil made it up and we got out of there.

20 minutes later, as we were both headed downhill towards the Christian Camp near Paliza campground, we came upon a white ford 250 coming up hill. My first thought was, "they are going the wrong way and need to get out of here". We pulled over so they could get by, and they had stopped in the trail to figure out what we were going to do. Right after Frank and I had pulled over, the white truck proceeded up hill a bit to pull off to the side as well. Just then, another 25" diameter tree fell right behind the white truck and across the road/trail - maybe 20 yards from their rear bumper. Frank and I saw the whole thing come down, but not as intense as the other trees, because we were sitting in the interior of the truck, which muffled the sounds.

We all got out of our trucks, glad we didn't get hit. As we cut the tree so we could continue in the photo above, we worried about two other trees that looked dead and ready to tumble down. A couple of us stood watching carefully, so we could get some kind of warning. Let me tell you, it is pretty scary when you are cutting a tree, just down wind of another dead tree that looks like it is about to go, as the wind kept howling.

In all, very exhilarating. I am just glad nobody got injured.

Last edited:
wise move. get chains soon.

cheers!!

There are so many different kinds of chains, any recommendations? I’m looking on Amazon but have zero experience with chains so don’t really know how the different styles and materials work or how they even hook on. Newbie! Is there a thread on this subject? Thanks for any help!

There are so many different kinds of chains, any recommendations? I’m looking on Amazon but have zero experience with chains so don’t really know how the different styles and materials work or how they even hook on. Newbie! Is there a thread on this subject? Thanks for any help!

Are you wanting chains for driving around town in deep snow or for snow runs? If for snow runs, I don't know if your van has the ground clearance or the torque to negotiate deep snow! Did you drive around in snow to see how it does?

Last edited:
I agree with Ali, check to make sure you have clearance for chains. If you are just wanting traction on icy roads I would go with a cable type. If you are wanting to push through deeper snow and or mud I would get regular chain type. I bought a set of the v-bar type chains with cam tensioners and I like them a lot. I have ordered a second set so I can chain all 4 tires. I was really impressed with how tight the cam type chains got on the tires. If you can get your chains tight it helps with braking.

I learned a lot about driving with chains on during this run. When I first went to chain up, my ahc would not go into high mode so I put the chains on the back (ended up that the tailgate wasn't shut correctly). This worked well for traction, but I slid a lot in the front and could not steer out of ruts. When Larry slid off and had to winch his truck out I moved my chains to the front so I could avoid falling in his ruts. This worked great for steering, but when braking downhill the rear end always felt like it was coming around a little. Next time I will be able to chain all 4.

Are you wanting chains for driving around town in deep snow or for snow runs? If for snow runs, I don't know if your van has the clearance or the torque to negotiate deep snow! Did you drive around in snow to see how it does?

I was thinking for snow runs. I have no issues getting around town in the snow. When I first bought it in Oregon last winter, the first place I went to was northern Idaho to visit my sister in the middle of a series of snowstorms they were having. I went on one road with 7"-9" of snow with one set of tracks through it that were wider than the van footprint, uphill for a couple of miles. It did fine. Diesel engine provides more torque I think, it is geared for Japan which I think means more bottom end than top. It was produced as a “snow version” van, whatever that means, and has the LSD which helps a little. Clearance could be an issue I agree. I will defer of course to you all as you have the experience.

Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting snow run!!! I can't wait to go on a snow run soon.

Stephen,

I would suggest you stay with basic chains. I have tried several "kool & novel" solutions, but they are often less effective and can be a pain to get installed. The chains I just got for my truck just drape over the tire, fasten in the back and front and are relatively easy to install. I also purchased a pair of tensioner, and they work great to pull up any slack.

The key is to practice at home where it is dry and clean. I also bring extra clothes, a mat to kneel on to stay "dry", extra gloves, snow boots and chaps and so forth. I carry my chains in a bucket so if they are muddy after removal, you don't get your truck/van all messed up.

I just went to Snow Tire Chains | Snow Chains For Any Vehicle | Free Shipping, plug in your tire size and credit card.

Not sure about the clearance issue. That is best sorted at home as well.

Stephen,

I would suggest you stay with basic chains. I have tried several "kool & novel" solutions, but they are often less effective and can be a pain to get installed. The chains I just got for my truck just drape over the tire, fasten in the back and front and are relatively easy to install. I also purchased a pair of tensioner, and they work great to pull up any slack.

The key is to practice at home where it is dry and clean. I also bring extra clothes, a mat to kneel on to stay "dry", extra gloves, snow boots and chaps and so forth. I carry my chains in a bucket so if they are muddy after removal, you don't get your truck/van all messed up.

I just went to Snow Tire Chains | Snow Chains For Any Vehicle | Free Shipping, plug in your tire size and credit card.

Not sure about the clearance issue. That is best sorted at home as well.

Thanks Larry,
I will most likely concentrate my energy at this point on other mods and improvements to make spring, summer, and fall camping experiences better and leave snow runs until next year. Don’t they close most of the forest service roads the first of the year? I’ll revisit chains in the mud of spring.

Last edited:
We're not able to make it to the tree hunt next weekend, but plan to go tomorrow instead. Were gonna head out at 9 ish from Amanda's in La Cueva if anyone else wants to join. Bring your permits with ya if you plan on getting one! Forest roads in the Jemez Ranger district will usually stay open till 12/31, so there might be time for one or two more snow runs! An NYE operation might be fun! What do you guys think?

We're not able to make it to the tree hunt next weekend, but plan to go tomorrow instead. Were gonna head out at 9 ish from Amanda's in La Cueva if anyone else wants to join. Bring your permits with ya if you plan on getting one! Forest roads in the Jemez Ranger district will usually stay open till 12/31, so there might be time for one or two more snow runs! An NYE operation might be fun! What do you guys think?
[/QUOTE)

Where did you have in mind for NYE operation?

[/QUOTE)

I might be interested if it’s someplace I can get to.

Is this Saturday happening? I might actually be free

Yep, not getting a tree but wanna hit the trail!

I can, I know Ali and Allen from my work are planning to go.

Anyone else?
Let’s get a list going so we know who to look for at Walatowa. Let’s plan for 9am.

Ali
Allen
Lurch
Dumpolina

I'm 85% in, will let you know for sure manana

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom