Wanted Split transfer case, Portland/Vancouver area (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need a split transfer case to hook up to an H42, going into my 40. Transmission is from a 1985 FJ60

Need a split transfer case to hook up to an H42, going into my 40. Transmission is from a 1985 FJ60

really depends on what you want, there are 4 ? versions of the split case transfer
does the 85 trans have the spacer?
you could use an earlier transfer case with the 34mm idler and even earlier if you don't want the 5th gear oiler, but if it has the spacer you will need the longer mounting bolts and the shifter linkage from the transfer case that was with the spacer trans.
if you don't have the spacer trans or want an earlier version without spacer along with transfer case I've got one or two of those.
if you are going with long range plans and have the longer trans which would be a direct replacement if you go with an H55 in the future, my stuff won't work.

what are your plans for a park brake?

Last edited:
really depends on what you want, there are 4 ? versions of the split case transfer
does the 85 trans have the spacer?
you could use an earlier transfer case with the 34mm idler and even earlier if you don't want the 5th gear oiler, but if it has the spacer you will need the longer mounting bolts and the shifter linkage from the transfer case that was with the spacer trans.
if you don't have the spacer trans or want an earlier version without spacer along with transfer case I've got one or two of those.
if you are going with long range plans and have the longer trans which would be a direct replacement if you go with an H55 in the future, my stuff won't work.

what are your plans for a park brake?
My transmission does have the spacer, so it is the H42L. I decided on this so I could have everything set up for an H55 swap in the future. Since I am planning a rear disc brake conversion, I would prefer the park brake on the case, which was the stock setup on the 3 speed case. I was gonna PM you, but my messages are maxed out.

My transmission does have the spacer, so it is the H42L. I decided on this so I could have everything set up for an H55 swap in the future. Since I am planning a rear disc brake conversion, I would prefer the park brake on the case, which was the stock setup on the 3 speed case. I was gonna PM you, but my messages are maxed out.

Wish I had my parts here from Australia. Have a couple split transfer cases with hand brakes. Both are from 10/82 or later so have provision for fifth gear oiler.

again, this is going to be your choice, if you want to find the 38mm transfer that would have been on the trans originally, or you could use an earlier version that had the 5th gear oiler but was a 34 mm idler.
if going with the earlier transfer you will need the mounting bolts and figure out a shifter,
I think @ToyotaMatt has a bolt kit with the longer bolts
the shifter is a had piece to find
@orangefj45 has a twin stick setup

I may have 1 earlier version left.

again, this is going to be your choice, if you want to find the 38mm transfer that would have been on the trans originally, or you could use an earlier version that had the 5th gear oiler but was a 34 mm idler.
if going with the earlier transfer you will need the mounting bolts and figure out a shifter,
@orangefj45 has a twin stick setup

I may have 1 earlier version left.
The transfer case that was originally behind the H42 is now behind an H55. The owner had a Land Cruiser shop swap in an H55 in her FJ60. She didn't care what the shop did with the H42 so I bought it for $200. The internals looked new. I want to have a manual t case vs a vacuum operated case.

The transfer case that was originally behind the H42 is now behind an H55. The owner had a Land Cruiser shop swap in an H55 in her FJ60. She didn't care what the shop did with the H42 so I bought it for $200. The internals looked new. I want to have a manual t case vs a vacuum operated case.

which is what happens most of the time with the long H42, I don't bother keeping them anymore as there is no value in them to me.
so, again if you don't want the 38mm idler split case that was originally on the long transmision, you can use an earlier 34mm idler splitcase that still has the 5tth gear oiler provision. these splitcases are somewhat easier to source, but you would need the longer mounting bolts and the shift linkage.

there are many, many of the 34mm idler splitcases out in the world with no issues, and a lot of them behind H55's without issue.

again, this is your choice as to which transfer case you want to use.

Paul is the length of the bolts the only difference or is the diameter different as well? Since the four speed was pulled for a five speed would assume original mounting bolts stayed with the transfer case to mount to the H55F.

I show the shaft in the transfer case to shift between 2WD and 4WD staying the same. It's the rest of the transfer shift linkage that is a challenge. Personally would locate a top from a 40 series four speed and work moving the transfer shifter forward. Looking like the 40 series H55F top plate reproductions are going to happen.

which is what happens most of the time with the long H42, I don't bother keeping them anymore as there is no value in them to me.
so, again if you don't want the 38mm idler split case that was originally on the long transmision, you can use an earlier 34mm idler splitcase that still has the 5tth gear oiler provision. these splitcases are somewhat easier to source, but you would need the longer mounting bolts and the shift linkage.

there are many, many of the 34mm idler splitcases out in the world with no issues, and a lot of them behind H55's without issue.

again, this is your choice as to which transfer case you want to use.
My main reasoning for going with the H42L was (other than the very low price) being able to set things up for an H55 swap down the road, so I'm definitely looking for a case with the 5th gear oiler provision.

Paul is the length of the bolts the only difference or is the diameter different as well? Since the four speed was pulled for a five speed would assume original mounting bolts stayed with the transfer case to mount to the H55F.

I show the shaft in the transfer case to shift between 2WD and 4WD staying the same. It's the rest of the transfer shift linkage that is a challenge. Personally would locate a top from a 40 series four speed and work moving the transfer shifter forward. Looking like the 40 series H55F top plate reproductions are going to happen.

AFAIK just the bolts are longer as they need to go thru the extension housing to the main trans housing.
the shifter linkage has a different curve and length to make up for the extension housing difference, similar to 3 and 4 speed floor shift transfer linkage differences
good call on using a 40 top plate

My main reasoning for going with the H42L was (other than the very low price)

it's hard for me to agree with you, that the price you paid for that trans was very low.

If you haven't found a T-case yet there is one on the Seattle craigslist. Just posted trans and t-case fro 450.00. I just saw it.

This is out of a FJ60 by the location of the shift cane on the transmission. Should have a date code on the transfer case. 10/82+ should have the provision for the fifth gear oiler. Because the date code is on the back of the transfer case and oiler is on the front can't be 100% sure. I say that because I have a H42/split case from a 3/82. Case has 4/83 date code but believe it still has the front from a early 82 case. Another thing if use this transfer case behind a H42L the transfer case shift linkage will not work. Because it's longer the boss on transmission moved to where the reverse gear is the 4WD lever from a shorter H42 will not work.

This is out of a FJ60 by the location of the shift cane on the transmission. Should have a date code on the transfer case. 10/82+ should have the provision for the fifth gear oiler. Because the date code is on the back of the transfer case and oiler is on the front can't be 100% sure. I say that because I have a H42/split case from a 3/82. Case has 4/83 date code but believe it still has the front from a early 82 case. Another thing if use this transfer case behind a H42L the transfer case shift linkage will not work. Because it's longer the boss on transmission moved to where the reverse gear is the 4WD lever from a shorter H42 will not work.

I'm thinking you could pull the pto cover plate and look at the front of the case and see if it has the oiler indent molded without having to remove the transfer from the trans??????
but the OP would still need the longer bolts and the shift linkage

I'm thinking you could pull the pto cover plate and look at the front of the case and see if it has the oiler indent molded without having to remove the transfer from the trans??????

The recess for the oiler is pretty much hidden behind the gears.

Here is a picture of the fifth gear oiler. Not sure what on the inside of the case but looks like the input gear would probably hide it.

P1050940.JPG

I thought you might be able to see the molded piece bumped out without total disassembling the transfer, looking behind the gear either by eye or a mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom