Let's talk towing with the 2F... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I towed with my 60 once. A 1 ton trailer with a 2F on it. It did surprisingly well. LA to Sacramento (400 miles), kept mostly 55-60 mph, a little slow over the Grapevine, but I'd do it again. No way I'd tow it over the Sierra. At altitude the 2F is down to like 85hp and can hardly get out of it's own way.

When you drive a 2F you have to be patient. If you're in a hurry, you and the 2F are going to suffer.

I live in the Sierra’s and you are 100% correct.

Same here, well close by anyways. I am at 4500' and once I start climbing you can feel the power start to get impacted by the altitude. Some of the higher passes like Echo or over I-80 really becomes a fight of staying in the slow lane with the truckers or having more than enough room to overtake ONE! She still happily putts along though, which is why I hate thinking about getting rid of her.

How much more power would you get out of the 2F if you went Fuel Injected? Either from a 3FE or TBI set up, along with a H55F and maybe gears? Might be enough for what Joe is trying to tow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but reading through your build thread, it sounds like the 60 is for camping and exploring, and if you get a 100 series, will you be using the 60 as much for what you've built it and love it for? You can do a lot of things to the 60 for the $10k price tag of a good 100 series to make it more enjoyable to tow that little trailer. Fuel Injection, H55, diff gears to help turn the 33's, etc... Maybe somehow lighten the trailer with a different axle that doesn't have a diff?

Don't get me wrong, I love my LX470 (100 series), and that 4.7 V8 tows our pop up camper like a dream up any pass loaded with 2 kids a dog and gear, but it doesn't have that nostalgia when exploring logging roads like a 60 does, and you definitely won't get as many thumbs up in the 100... only from other cruiserheads...

Fuel injection alone isn’t going to up the power. It will improve starting and drivability but it has no magic to create more power. You have to either up the compression or the displacement or both. A 3fe head swap would up the compression. Or bolt on a turbo.

Checking the classifieds here from time to time, I do see deals come up. For $10K you could get a very solid but slightly dinged up example, with tons of life left in it. There just isn't any insanity around them (yet), like there is for 60s and clean 80s.

You are welcome to take mine for a spin if you want to jump start your obsession.

I was searching for a way to describe towing with the 60... It's like taking an old dog on a long hard run, or asking your elderly dad to help you move... you know he'll do it, but is it really a good idea?

The first time I met Georg he threw me the keys to his built 100 and told me to take it for a spin. I was hooked right then and there. I sit and search CL for sport. I've missed two amazing deals in the last year.

BRZO is the best Craigslist search consolidator IMHO. Expensive APP at $10 bucks but worth it.

How much more power would you get out of the 2F if you went Fuel Injected? Either from a 3FE or TBI set up, along with a H55F and maybe gears? Might be enough for what Joe is trying to tow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but reading through your build thread, it sounds like the 60 is for camping and exploring, and if you get a 100 series, will you be using the 60 as much for what you've built it and love it for? You can do a lot of things to the 60 for the $10k price tag of a good 100 series to make it more enjoyable to tow that little trailer. Fuel Injection, H55, diff gears to help turn the 33's, etc... Maybe somehow lighten the trailer with a different axle that doesn't have a diff?

Don't get me wrong, I love my LX470 (100 series), and that 4.7 V8 tows our pop up camper like a dream up any pass loaded with 2 kids a dog and gear, but it doesn't have that nostalgia when exploring logging roads like a 60 does, and you definitely won't get as many thumbs up in the 100... only from other cruiserheads...

You're right... I really dig my little 60/hilux set up. Just wish I had a little more power. Oh well.. It is what it is... What gears should I be running with this set up? I suck at figuring that out. I don't even know what I have. Assuming I have 4-11's. I've never done the wheel spin count to find out. At 65mph. I'm running at 23-2400 rpm's. My speedo reads 55mph but I'm actually going 65.

Fuel injection alone isn’t going to up the power. It will improve starting and drivability but it has no magic to create more power. You have to either up the compression or the displacement or both. A 3fe head swap would up the compression. Or bolt on a turbo.

Pretty sure I'm not aloud to do any of this in the great state of California. How come no one made a bolt on CARB legal turbo kit for the 60? I would think we'd all be all over that. I see that Wits End makes one for the 80. Why not one for the 60?

The first time I met Georg he threw me the keys to his built 100 and told me to take it for a spin. I was hooked right then and there. I sit and search CL for sport. I've missed two amazing deals in the last year.

BRZO is the best Craigslist search consolidator IMHO. Expensive APP at $10 bucks but worth it.

You're right... I really dig my little 60/hilux set up. Just wish I had a little more power. Oh well.. It is what it is... What gears should I be running with this set up? I suck at figuring that out. I don't even know what I have. Assuming I have 4-11's. I've never done the wheel spin count to find out. At 65mph. I'm running at 23-2400 rpm's. My speedo reads 55mph but I'm actually going 65.

Pretty sure I'm not aloud to do any of this in the great state of California. How come no one made a bolt on CARB legal turbo kit for the 60? I would think we'd all be all over that. I see that Wits End makes one for the 80. Why not one for the 60?

Probably most just recognize that the cost and complexity of adding a turbo to a 2f outweighed the benefit. The 2f is a low revving torque monster with atrocious breathing characteristics inherent to the non cross flow head design. Turbocharging a 2f could be done with a carburetor but yuck no. So you need a turbo that spoils efficiently at low rpm, a fuel management system to optimize power and keep things from melting, a custom exhaust, and a strong engine so the initial outlay could be considerable and the. Who knows how long it would hold up.

A tire/diff general guide. Keep it in the green for easy cruising on the road. Unless you have lots of power and don’t care about your mileage.
EA5DCFA2-B7A8-49C7-8E76-373711D78863.jpeg

You most likely have stock 3.73s like me. Your RPM vs speed (and speedo inaccuracy) sounds just like mine, and I'm also on 33s with stock gearing. First gear feels like second. The only real benefit besides looks and that little bit of clearance is the rubber overdrive on the highway. I did do the 2Lo mod to my tcase shifter for steep hill starts in 2wd. It works!

4.11s would be ideal for both of us, but re-gearing is not cheap or easy. And it still wouldn't make the 60 a tow truck.

I can drive in a nail with a pair of Klein linesman pliers, but it's not the right tool for the job.

I can drive in a nail with a pair of Klein linesman pliers, but it's not the right tool for the job.

If it’s a small nail and you only have to do it once in a while it’s a lot cheaper than buying an air compressor and nail gun.

I was thinking hammer :)

Once had to use a 3/8” extension and a rock to fix a broken lower shock bolt during a car rally. You use what you got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom