Alternator/Charging problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gcrump01

SILVER Star
Threads
Need some help - what to check?

1980 FJ40 running fine for over a year. When I put it together I had 14.7 volts on the battery while running so at one time it was charging properly.

Now it runs fine if you jump it off and alternator is apparently putting out the volts needed to run lights, foglights, radio, heated seats, etc. But the battery is not charging. The parts store tester says the battery is good, just needs charged. It also says the voltage regulator is bad. So I replaced the alternator with internal regulator and still get the same results. Tester still says the regulator is bad. I guess it's possible that both are bad, but I doubt it - my guess is that neither were bad & I just wasted money on a new alternator. Anyway, only 2 wires going to alternator and everything is hooked up the same way it has always been. So now what? Is there an inline fuse on the charging side or anything like that I could be missing?

Thanks @JohnnyC. I'll check that out. I thought I remembered a white/blue wire either going to the fusebox or the ignition? Confusing myself about what wires go where??

Need some help - what to check?

1980 FJ40 running fine for over a year. When I put it together I had 14.7 volts on the battery while running so at one time it was charging properly.

Now it runs fine if you jump it off and alternator is apparently putting out the volts needed to run lights, foglights, radio, heated seats, etc. But the battery is not charging. The parts store tester says the battery is good, just needs charged. It also says the voltage regulator is bad. So I replaced the alternator with internal regulator and still get the same results. Tester still says the regulator is bad. I guess it's possible that both are bad, but I doubt it - my guess is that neither were bad & I just wasted money on a new alternator. Anyway, only 2 wires going to alternator and everything is hooked up the same way it has always been. So now what? Is there an inline fuse on the charging side or anything like that I could be missing?

i read the above post's twice to be sure i understood what @gcrump01

symptoms are and the repair and remedy steps he preformed thus far

are . He has confirmed his Voltage regulator is bad , YES . He also

installed New Modern type Alternator with a internal Regulator ? WHY

If he has a Regulator Mounted on fire wall option , then this would explain things , it would have the Large Green Oval 6 pin connector

i have ran into this before , and had to bypass the old n0-longer

needed .

IMO , the bad Regulator should have been replaced simply , and not a

possibly incorrect internal regulator alternator ?

my parts books show the external regulator set up up thru 7/80

usa spec. fj40

if he has a NON USA , then the set up is even more completely different ?

I DO have a Few of the possibly Needed correct external regulators Left

see link below , then send me a PM if i can help out in any way

if he had a updated IC regulator alternator on prior , then the above may not apply ?

matt

Matt, the original alternator had internal regulator so I replaced with same thing. No regulator on firewall. Dec 1979 build date and it did not have a regulator on firewall when I got it. In fact, that is one of the first questions I asked on this forum - what is this bracket for? At the time I was told the internal regulator alternator was correct for my FJ40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom