Frame Off Restoration Steps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honestly I’d love to know how to label sandwich baggies and have them stay labeled. Even during the course of my driveline rebuild the permanent mark ink didn’t stick to the bags - still ended up guessing at the end!

Honestly I’d love to know how to label sandwich baggies and have them stay labeled. Even during the course of my driveline rebuild the permanent mark ink didn’t stick to the bags - still ended up guessing at the end!

Use pen on a post it or index card and throw it in the bag.

Use pen on a post it or index card and throw it in the bag.

Tried that too - illegible through the grime once saturated ;) guess I should have done a better job of cleaning the parts before I stowed them...

This is a newb question. We purchased a 73 FJ40 for a restoration project with my 13-year-old son, my dad and myself. This is going to be my son's first vehicle and we have a couple of years to work on it.

We are planning a frame-off restoration. This is going to be a great learning experience for us all as well as something we can do together.

Does anyone have a frame-off restoration steps procedure for an FJ40 or ideas as to how to proceed? I don't want to recreate the wheel. I have searched for a step procedure for a frame-off and found some resources but they are all for hot-rods.

Sorry for the newb nature of this question.

Colby

Yeah. Take it apart first. A frame-off can't be accomplished unless you take it apart. 2 1/2 years to get Rana hopping down the road
FJ40 003.jpg
Fj40 008.jpg
FJ40 001.jpg
FJ40 003.jpg
Fj40 008.jpg

The economy really sucked and I didn't have much else to do without laying someone off, so I built up a '77.

All good advice from the folks above. I am on my 4th rebuild, the other three were sold to get the boys through college. This one is a keeper and I am going on 6 years and about $30K including $6,500 purchase cost plus the $2,000 we spent traveling to get it . Time is due to my working, raising two grand kids and hiring the paint shop to do the three base coats and two clear coat finish. I did all the body work and priming. It is actually very relaxing to work on it IMHO, but I'm 74 now and tend to take a nap now and then.

Good luck and it is a project you and your family will remember from now on. BTW, there are a lot of really smart and talented people on this forum, so don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
I think it’s admirable that you want to do this restoration with your 13 year old. I’m sure he will learn a lot. As the father of four, I’m not sure I would have wanted to turn any of them loose on the highway with a 40 when they were 16. Just something to consider. Maybe build the 40 together but add a nice used Tacoma with 8 airbags (or however many they have) to the fleet when he starts driving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom