LX470 died while driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after almost 20 years and 310,000 miles my 2002 LX470 died while I was driving it and will not start up. Luckly I was just pulling into my driveway. I seems to be a fuel issue. I get a strong crank. It kind of wants to start. It has no codes.

I am looking thought the FSM to follow the troubleshooting and it has the standard items I would expect. Check for spark, check fuel pump, etc. I am thinking I got bad fuel (filled up at SAM's this morning, so unlikely), have a bad fuel pump, ar a clogged fuel filter. Anybody have any other thoughts?

I am a little caught off guard because I have always considered this truck to be very reliable. I am just glad it did not happen in the middle of busy traffic or when I was out of town.

Sounds like fuel pump may have finally kicked the bucket. Any slow or rough starts leading up to this?

I am a little caught off guard because I have always considered this truck to be very reliable

I mean, 310,000 miles on original fuel pump is beyond reliable!

I mean, 310,000 miles on original fuel pump is beyond reliable

i totally agree. Have not noticed any different starts. Have not heard any noise from the pump. Anyone think it could be the fuel filter?

Tomorrow, I plan to disconnect fuel line and attach plastic tube into gas can. I’ll crank the engine and see if I get any gas.

Is security light on center console on before key put in IG switch ON, and OFF after key inserted?

If security light goes off. Move to a fuel pump test. As @JunkCrzr89 suggested it may be.

These are most common no code, but not only reasons. So report back your finds and we can go from there.

Last edited:
An easy way to test the fuel pump is to shoot some starting fluid into the air filter box towards the intake and see if it fires for a moment. Just had to replace mine for the first time at 417,000. Same symptoms, security light off, crank, no fire, no codes, no warning.

An easy way to test the fuel pump is to shoot some starting fluid into the air filter box towards the intake and see if it fires for a moment. Just had to replace mine for the first time at 417,000. Same symptoms, security light off, crank, no fire, no codes, no warning.
I've never tried the with fuel injector system. Good to know!

Last edited:

Yes, starting fluid is a good test for fuel pump status if the engine can't be started. I had fuel coming out from fuel pump but the engine wouldn't start. It started with starting fluid sprayed into the intake. A new fuel pump fixed my problem.

Ours also had fuel coming out the line but wouldn’t run. New pump did the trick, I believe this happened around 220k miles. Our FJ80 fuel pump died at 217k miles.

My Lexus is at 213k now so I keep a brand new fuel pump, tools, towels and a pair of gloves in the trunk at all times.

Any thoughts on replacement brand? I know a lot of people will say OEM, bu is there anything I can get locally that might work?
The OEM Denso pump is only $108 from RockAuto right now...It’s $278 from the dealer. Aftermarket junk from box stores is $200-250.

Last edited:
I ended up with a box store unit to minimize downtime. Delphi, if I recall correctly. Does anybody have experience with that brand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom