Recommend a Cruiser Mechanic in your area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots of travelling cruiserheads and many new owners would like to locate a reliable mechanic in their area, or know who to go to if they have a problem on the road.

It has been suggested that we try to establish a sticky thread for people to make personal recommendations for a mechanic they know well and with whom have done business.

Please provide:

City (or County) & STATE
Name of Mechanic
Phone number

Let's try to get some solid recommendations for our brother (and sister) Cruiserheads.

Mike S
Good Morning Mike.

here is or shop information to let the cruiser nuts come het theer rigs up and running in the phoenix, mesa area.
Mike Smith, Tom price, Justin , matt and jeremy
Desert toy shop
240 e courey ave
mesa, az 85210
deserttoyshop@gmail.com

Tucson, Arizona...Firestone at Speedway and Pantano. They have been doing maintenance on our 62 for many years, but rather intensely in the restoration over the past year. Start with manager Jared (his off days are Tuesday and Wednesday). He is key to success with a Land Cruiser. He will assign technician Austin to any Land Cruiser. Austin has become rather experienced over the restoration. He has accomplished the following on my 62 with great care and precision:

* Indicates parts provided by me.

Knuckle overhaul including wheel bearings (Cruiser Outfitters kit)*
OEM front discs (Camelback Toyota)*
New Aisin ceramic brake pads (Cruiser Outfitters)*
New OEM master cylinder (Cruiser Outfitters)*
New aftermarket brake booster, check valve, and associated vacuum lines
Rear brake adjustment and exhaustive brake system bleed
Swap out old worn OME steering stabilizer with new (Summit Racing)*
New OEM tie rods (Camelback Toyota)*
Swap to Mishimoto radiator (Summit Racing)*
Plumbing of B&M transcooler (Amazon)* in series with Mishimoto integral transcooler
Swap out of steering wheel switch assembly (Cruiser Parts) *
Lubrication of wiper arm mechanisms
Engine tune up*
Installed the permanent door lock fix mod per mud site info*
Swapped out master window switch assembly* and front passenger window switch* Both from Amazon
Replaced both passenger side window motors and lubed mechanisms
Ran electrical required for mods I provided (BMW seats, condenser fan, etc.)
Rodney flush and swap to synthetic AT and transfer case fluids,* cleaning of AT pan screen, and swap to OEM AT pan gasket*
New Denso AC compressor
Probably stuff I can't recall at the moment

Manager Jared is an incredibly good fellow and manager. Technician Austin is young but quite experienced in general, and enjoys the challenges of the 62. He is very organized and careful. I provide the FSM for them. Prices are reasonable. Very reasonable on timely turnaround. They understand that they are not deeply experienced Land Cruiser folk, but they are totally cool with me providing assistance with the FSM, acquisition of parts to which they do not have access, and help with what to expect with some things.

I'll add this bit of info FWIW. I took this 62 to a Cruiser specialty shop that has a reasonably good reputation. It was a drive to the Phoenix area to do valve adjustment. I also had them evaluate weak brakes at low speed. They recommended a bunch of things such as the knuckle job, and said only new front discs and pads were needed. They quoted very high price estimates. The Firestone crew was able to beat the prices, and the Phoenix shop totally missed the diagnosis of the brake system. The Firestone guys were able to determine the brake booster was not holding vacuum by pressurizing it and testing. The level of care at this Firestone is far superior, although limited, as I described. I hear that there is an excellent Cruiser mechanic at Desert Toyota these days, but their prices are stratospheric.

If you can't or don't want to DIY, I highly recommend the guys at this Firestone for anything from knuckle overhaul and below in complexity. A valve adjustment is beyond them, for example. 520-722-3080.

Last edited:
Would recommend Carolina Auto Sports in Concord, NC for mechanic work.

Also recommend Retro Designs in Concord NC for paint, restoration and modification

Since noone has posted for FL, I have had a decent experience with the following folks, but if I change my mind I will come back and edit.
L.E. Toyota Repair
1811 SW 67th Ave.
Miami, FL 33155
305-263-9868
Luis Fernandez has been helping me and he's an honest nice and so far inexpensive mechanic. I am using him currently for a few things.
B&R Foreign Car Repair
Somewhere on Commercial Lane, next to "The Wizard"
South Miami, FL
(305) 661-5077
Gary and his brother and all the folks are really nice, been there 25 years. They do good work, they are reliable. Not inexpensive at all. But if you need it done and done right they haven't done my family wrong with a Volkswagen, Volvo, Toyota LC FJ60, Toyota Corolla and a few others.
Any good mechanics north of Miami I’m in the west palm beach area??

How about a good TLC mechanic around Broward County Florida. or North Miami.

With gas prices I think twice if I have to drive more than 35 miles.

Thanks
Did you locate a mechanic in your area
I’m in palm beach county and need a Tranny rebuild.
Any recommendation would be helpful

Anyone have a good cruiser mechanic in South East Pennsylvania? I'm pretty close to Delaware, could even do Southern Maryland. Saw one option for PA and nothing for Delaware on the G Sheet. Looking for a reputable shop to take my 62 to. Thanks, Jaime

Does anyone know a good Cruiser wrench in Southern Indiana. I am in Bloomington and would be happy to travel to Fort Wayne, Cinci, Louisville, Evansville, Danville...any who down in Whoville.

For those in or passing through the Tennessee Valley check out Rocket City Cruisers in Huntsville.

Southern California
Temecula California 92592
Wine Country area
Apolo Orfali
949-205-9903
was the guy recommended by Marvin (Specter ) in the southern CA area.
Email : apolo1100@hotmail.com

20190415_173155.jpg

20181020_094939.jpg

Lots of travelling cruiserheads and many new owners would like to locate a reliable mechanic in their area, or know who to go to if they have a problem on the road.

It has been suggested that we try to establish a sticky thread for people to make personal recommendations for a mechanic they know well and with whom have done business.

Please provide:

City (or County) & STATE
Name of Mechanic
Phone number

Let's try to get some solid recommendations for our brother (and sister) Cruiserheads.

Mike S

Any recommendations for or near Toronto Canada?

How about a good, reliable, 60 mechanic in or around Athens, GA?

Ozark overland outfitters
Jason Harris
417 855 0647
Www.ozarkoverlandoutfitters.com
West plains Missouri
1604 sunset terrace

Specializing in Toyota land cruisers, previous Toyota tech. Full service restoration, and fab shop. Able to handle any operation from start to finish on Toyota vehicles

Anyone have a good cruiser mechanic in South East Pennsylvania? I'm pretty close to Delaware, could even do Southern Maryland. Saw one option for PA and nothing for Delaware on the G Sheet. Looking for a reputable shop to take my 62 to. Thanks, Jaime
Anyone looking for a great shop to take your cruiser in SE Pennsylvania - check out Tommy’s in West Chester, PA. Blair is top notch. Highly recommend them. Will absolutely go back when I can’t tackle something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom