OFFGRID TREK SOLAR PANELS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Ive been testing a 200 watt foldable offgrid trek solar panle and it blows away my merlin panel and is putting out 23.8% effieciency all in mil spec package. Video review is coming.
This is the gear right here, but this is not the review.

Reactions: JAW
I would hope they perform better than Merlin...at higher cost there should be a difference.

I would hope they perform better than Merlin...at higher cost there should be a difference.
well the merlin was double ANY other maker, and the offgridtrek is a whole different level, build quality amount of juice produced with NO sun. you can drive over, shoot with an AR the OGT and they still work. video is in works NOW

Maybe I missed something but foldable 160w Merlin GX160 $750 and the OGT 200w is $1300. What am I missing?

23+% is high for consumer level panels. I imagine that's their rating... Maybe optimistic?

That is some pretty expensive solar.

I'll stick with 120W for about oz$110 thanks very much. I can buy quite a few replacements in case I drive over the panels or shoot them :)

camp3.jpg

cheers,
george.

$1300. Cool product, but that's too much. I'll stick with the less expensive options
Yea I hear that even used a merlin panel? I have or the red arc 200watt blanket (2000.00) I have and this actually delivers power and if a twig blocks out a tad of sun all oters stop making juice, these dont. AND I dont sell these or have any affiliation. Just helpng out a friend. plus you can damage, run over with your truck etc and they still work.

I'd consider this for $300-400.

Can ANYONE else add anything to the information on these OffGrid flexible panels?
I have a source here in Canada but the price is astronomical compared to what they
sell for in the US. I have to admit, the reports of the efficiency is what has me most
interested. My situation being the desire to park for 7-10 days and be away from the truck
so I need to know my power requirements won’t die while I’m away.

of course, the higher the efficiency the better for energy production, but the difference between an 18 and a 20%, say, efficiency module is likely more than compensated for by the difference generated by smart reorientation during the day, if not otherwise planned for. I'd focus more on that before worrying about one percent efficiency increase.
I think there is a lot of misconception about the concept of efficiency for solar modules too. It is really directly related to size. If size is not a critical issue, than a slightly bigger module at lower efficiency can give the same amount of energy at lower cost.
And there is the issue of space utilization. In the pic up top, the cells could have high intrinsic efficiency (although I don't believe the 23.8% claim), but the poor use of space (lots of space between cells) will lower significantly the overall efficiency of the module.
And don't believe all you see advertised as "flexible" panels. Outside of organic cells (not available off the shelf and very low efficiency) and some thin film types, the fabric backing may be flexible but most often the cells are really not. And if they are very thin, which goes with the "light" marketing, and silicon, they are particularly fragile. I've played with some that you looked at wrong and they would shatter... :) I'd want them well protected while being transported which would about nullify the light and handy concept altogether. Just throw them in the back of a bouncy offroad truck and you may have a bad surprise at your destination.
Sorry...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom