Electrical Problem - No Power anywhere - NEED HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1982 FJ40 - 2F engine - DUI distributor, and Weber Carb, De-smogged - Ran perfectly until yesterday!

Hey guys! Need some help here. I've been working on getting all the electrical switches, wires, etc. hooked back up after getting the 40 painted. Many things to get sorted out, but going quite well until yesterday.

I had checked the fuse terminal block - removed it and cleaned up all the existing wiring and connections. Checked all fuses - everything looked good. The truck was starting perfectly before yesterday.

When getting the fuse block back into position, I inadvertently touched some part of it on the steering column support bracket! BOOM! Got quite an arc. NOW EVERYTHING is completely dead!! Checked all fuses in the terminal block, but everything seems fine - no obvious blown fuses. No evident loose connections or melted wires.

Can anyone offer advice? Is there a main ignition fuse somewhere, or did I possibly FRY the fusible link. There are 2 fuses in a small plastic holder in the loom in the engine block, on the passenger side, but they both appear to be okay.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Those twin fuses in the engine compartment are set up like a shunt to indicate amperage on the amp gauge in the instrument cluster. They are useless and not the cause of your problem. The power comes off the battery on two heavy gauge wires. One goes to the ignition switch and provides power to the fuses and systems that are powered when the ignition switch is turned to either the ACC or Start position. The other heavy wire goes to the fuse panel and provides power to the fuses that are "hot" regardless of the key position on the switch. I would have to look at an '82 wiring diagram to tell you if the fusible link could kill everything, but my gut feeling is that not all circuits would be killed by the fusible link. Especially not a critical circuit like the headlights. I would look at the plug connections near the positive battery terminal and follow the voltage readings on the two heavy wires from there.

Original Toyota Dealership Master Technician Summer-Training Seminar Hand Out

Just prior to the 1/79 Model Year 40 Series major Updates ,

including the 50amp Meter in Cluster Gauge

Circa. 1980

inline Fuse Poster - Copy - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
ALL electrical power on your 1982 FJ40 runs through the fusible link! It is the only connection between the battery and the rest of the harness. If you have no power at the fuse panel, your fusible link is blown. I sell these links if you need one. See here!
Read carefully as there are two different versions for a 1982!

Hello again Mark,
I have e-mailed you info re: the above mentioned fusible link. Have not heard anything back from you yet. Just a quick follow-up to see if you received my e-mail. Thanks! Jim D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom