Installing Crank Nut with Impact? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I’ve looked around a bit and didn’t see any info on this specific question. I’ve got one of the Milwaukee 2863-20 impacts and was wondering if this might be a little easier to use than cheater bars and propping things up to tighten the crank nut on my 2F. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Thanks!

Is your front end all taken apart? How will you have space if not?
I’ve done it a few times and each time I used a torque wrench and a length of bar and a lot of my weight or someone elses to get it done.

If you don't have, or have access to a proper torque wrench, Impact is better than trying to guess 140-ish foot lbs with a cheater bar ...

But it's not that uncommon for the Crank Nut to loosen from improper tightening and then you're gonna spend all kinds of time and money fixing crap.

I posted this before. Mexican mechanics use a breaker bar, a piece of pipe & a bathroom scale. If torque spec is 300 ft-lbs, place bathroom scale 5’ from center of bolt. Put pipe on cheater bar & stand on scale. Tighten bolt until scale measures 60 lbs +- depending on which side you’re standing on.

I posted this before. Mexican mechanics use a breaker bar, a piece of pipe & a bathroom scale. If torque spec is 300 ft-lbs, place bathroom scale 5’ from center of bolt. Put pipe on cheater bar & stand on scale. Tighten bolt until scale measures 60 lbs +- depending on which side you’re standing on.
I love this. But the 60 crank nut is as Alf said, about 140.

You could just borrow a neighbors 30 lb brat and sit him on
the end of the 5 ft cheater. The measurement has to be taken with the bar parallel to the ground to be accurate. This obviously
doesn't work with the bar positioned at 12 o-clock. Make sure to feed him chocolate and red bull before you send him home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom