3FE Owners Check-In (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys,

Just bought a 92, curious to know what oil you all are running. It has been running a Castrol Hi Mileage blend. I was thinking about switching to Eneos or Rotella. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I run Rotella T-4 in 15-40. Works great and is the same my Super Tenere takes so only have to keep on type on hand.

I used the truck and diesel Mobil 1 from the FAQ. So far so good, better oil pressure according to the gauge

Hey guys,

Just bought a 92, curious to know what oil you all are running. It has been running a Castrol Hi Mileage blend. I was thinking about switching to Eneos or Rotella. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm running, shell rotella 15- 40, but am having my oil pan gasket and rear main seal replaced, so I'll be trying 10-30 and seeing how she does, (she had a massive rear main seal leak)

Cool. Im in Tallahassee as well. Well, I work in Tallahassee and live down south off 98 by St Marks. If you need any help let me know.
👍👍

I'm running, shell rotella 15- 40, but am having my oil pan gasket and rear main seal replaced, so I'll be trying 10-30 and seeing how she does, (she had a massive rear main seal leak)

was it easy to tell between the arch gasket and the rear main? I haven’t been able to diagnose my leak yet, but have seen a lot of threads saying it’s usually the arch seal.

was it easy to tell between the arch gasket and the rear main? I haven’t been able to diagnose my leak yet, but have seen a lot of threads saying it’s usually the arch seal.
So actually, I didn't know my oil pan was leaking, it all appeared to be coming from the rear main seal, but the mechanic showed me how bad the rear main was leaking, but also showed me how bad the oil pan gasket was leaking but he didn't mention anything about the arch seal, I'll ask him tomorrow 👍

Hey all! Just picked up a '92 FJ80 from a friend of a friend's dad here in NJ last week. Sat in his garage for 3-4 years or so, but from around '99-00 until he parked it, he'd daily drive it into Manhattan every day for work, he apparently works for the TV station CBS. Anyways, it currently needs a lot of love since it sat for so long, but it actually runs perfectly fine with no abnormal noises to note on 3-4 year old oil and gas, and all the other fluids have even more questionable service dates.

Currently has the common hot start issue, where it cranks and doesn't start. Working on restoring it a bit by bit back to its former glory!

Hey all! Just picked up a '92 FJ80 from a friend of a friend's dad here in NJ last week. Sat in his garage for 3-4 years or so, but from around '99-00 until he parked it, he'd daily drive it into Manhattan every day for work, he apparently works for the TV station CBS. Anyways, it currently needs a lot of love since it sat for so long, but it actually runs perfectly fine with no abnormal noises to note on 3-4 year old oil and gas, and all the other fluids have even more questionable service dates.

Currently has the common hot start issue, where it cranks and doesn't start. Working on restoring it a bit by bit back to its former glory!

Sounds like a winner. The 3FE is pretty impervious to neglect--good find, and let's see some pics!

Well, I figured that I'd post an update on my cruiser, she's been in the shop for almost 2 weeks, but hopefully will be finished soon, I went out to check on it today and was able to get a good look at the bottom end of the engine, and some pics too, maybe they might be of some help, idk
Happy cruisin'
20191121_102507.jpg
20191203_114400.jpg

20191203_114350.jpg

I had a few oil leaks coming from which seems to be the rear arch seal and oil pan when i first purchased the rig. I have then switched to Rotella 15W-40 and tighten up the oil pan bolts and almost all of the oil leaks were gone.
Oil pan bolts eh? Non synthetic regular ol' 15w-40? Interesting. I switched to T6 about a year ago fwiw. I leak like a champion, and have never even attempted to figure the source. It's kind of everywhere lol. Builds character.

Well, I figured that I'd post an update on my cruiser, she's been in the shop for almost 2 weeks, but hopefully will be finished soon, I went out to check on it today and was able to get a good look at the bottom end of the engine, and some pics too, maybe they might be of some help, idk
Happy cruisin' View attachment 2148637View attachment 2148640

View attachment 2148639
Have a 92 that is your trucks twin (loving that slate blue - was looking for a white truck initially but think I like it better). What is the replacement of that oil pan gasket costing you? Next on my list and thinking it’s a bit much to tackle in the driveway

That new jersey road salt is going to destroy that 80.

It's been an NJ/NY truck its whole life, so sadly already has surface rust on a lot of components. Nothing is rotting though, so perfectly saveable! Got the whole truck very cheap, so couldn't really complain even if there was any.

Next month I'll be driving it out to California where it'll reside with me most of the year!

I don't have many good pictures of it yet since I seem to only drive it around at night lol! Hopefully once I get it all detailed up after I do all the maintenance, I'll take some proper pictures of it!

View attachment 2151789
View attachment 2151790
Congrats on the new 80!!! She looks very good 😎👊. Are those tires 235s? If so the only thing that you need would be a good set of 31s or 33 inch tires👍, some members posted some pictures of their 80s on 33s a couple of pages back.

Congrats on the new 80!!! She looks very good 😎👊. Are those tires 235s? If so the only thing that you need would be a good set of 31s or 33 inch tires👍, some members posted some pictures of their 80s on 33s a couple of pages back.

Thanks a bunch!! She definitely looks better in pictures at the moment LOL, but that'll change soon!

The tires are 235s, I don't recall the profile though, but they're just all season versions of the Bridgestone Duelers iirc. Still unsure if I want to do 33's on these wheels or on another set of wheels!

Also had a question, I saw an ad for another FJ80 nearby and they mentioned the "Center Diff Lock" as a selling point, was this an option or just standard for the FJ80? My truck does have the button, but I keep reading about optional E-Lockers as well, I assume this was something different correct?

Thanks a bunch!! She definitely looks better in pictures at the moment LOL, but that'll change soon!

The tires are 235s, I don't recall the profile though, but they're just all season versions of the Bridgestone Duelers iirc. Still unsure if I want to do 33's on these wheels or on another set of wheels!

Also had a question, I saw an ad for another FJ80 nearby and they mentioned the "Center Diff Lock" as a selling point, was this an option or just standard for the FJ80? My truck does have the button, but I keep reading about optional E-Lockers as well, I assume this was something different correct?
So the center diff lock is standard on 91-94 I think but definitely 91 and 92 models, if I'm not mistaken you can't get a USA spec 91 and 92 Fj80 with the front or rear diff locks, so if one has one they've been added, which is not a bad thing, but if someone else knows the exact details please chime in,
Happy Cruisin'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom